Long Island Dog strangles girl....

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm

http://wcbs880.com/topstories/local_sto ... 23305.html
LI Girl Accidentally Strangled by Dog
Tragedy Caused When She Was Pulled By Scarf

Jan 25, 2006 12:31 pm US/Eastern
MANORVILLE, Long Island (AP) A six-year-old girl playing with her dog in the backyard was strangled when the pet apparently grabbed her scarf and playfully pulled her down to the ground and dragged her around the yard. Suffolk County Homicide Detective Lieutenant John Fitzpatrick calls it "an absolutely tragic story.''

Police say the accident happened in the backyard of little Kaitlyn Hassard at 4:30 p.m. yesterday. The girl came home from school wearing the scarf and the dog began pulling on it. The girl's mother put the dog in the backyard and a few minutes later Kaitlyn asked to go out and play with the dog, which weighs about 70 pounds.

The one-and-a-half Golden Retriever named Jessie, again began playing with the 40-pound girl tugging on her scarf.

Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says the girl was in the yard for no more than ten minutes, because the family was going to run an errand at the Post Office. When her eleven-year-old brother went to the backyard to get his sister, he found her lying on the ground.

The boy called his mother who called 9-1-1 and began C-P-R. The girl was pronounced dead at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital.

Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says ``there were no injuries inflicted by the dog.'' He adds ``I don't believe the dog's actions were intentionally malicious.''

The dog has been brought to the Brookhaven Animal Shelter.

(© 2005, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Emi » January 25th, 2006, 3:01 pm

That's very sad ....

And that's why people should not leave kids and dogs alone no matter what age ... :cry1:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2006, 3:04 pm

How tragic for both the family and the dog. :(
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 3:23 pm

what i dont understand, why bring the dog to the shelter?? its not like the dog bit the girl.. and i highly doubt the dog knew what it was doing by pulling on the girls scarf...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » January 25th, 2006, 3:50 pm

:shock:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby pibblegrl » January 26th, 2006, 3:55 pm

This is so sad...Tell the girl to go play with the dog UNSUPERVISED and then a tragic accident occurs and the dog gets sent to the shelter.
Is the mother going to face any charges for failing to properly supervise her young child????? :evil:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » January 26th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Oh how horrible. Poor dog had no idea he hurt the little girl & now there will be two deaths becuase of people & their carelessness. They left the freaking kid by HERSELF!!! I don't consider an 11 year old a baby sitter!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » January 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm

I'm very sorry about the little girl, but I sincerely hope they are not going to euth the dog. :(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 5:05 pm

if the dog is in the shelter , probably.. who knows... when will someone speak up about the child outside without adult supervision, like everyone else is saying...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » January 26th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Probably never. :evil:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby chance's mom » February 14th, 2006, 10:19 pm

last i heard the dog is in a shelter over here. i heard this story on the news a couple weeks ago. i feel very horrible for the dog and mother, but in imho i think the child should have never been unsupervised, and i have to say, if this was a "pitbull" or rotti i honestly dont think the owner would have had any say in what would have happened to the dog. again just imho
again, my sypmathies to the mother.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL