oh no, poor Doc

Postby babyreba » June 26th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Hey all,

Not sure how many of you remember Doc, the white pit bull that one of PBF's mods fostered for over a year, and Nan, PBF member, fostered for months as well. A few of us on that forum were working on helping find him a home when his foster options were running out, and in April 2005 we placed him in a home up here in Baltimore with a city cop who endured a pretty grueling adoption process that involved interviews with me, Moto, and Nan, 2 home visits, an in-person meeting with Doc, then a trip down to meet Nan and finally pick him up. This guy told us that he could never envision a situation in which he would give up the dog he adopted. "It just wouldn't happen," is what I remember him telling me.

Well, it's happening. A little over a year later, the adopter is joining the CIA and having a baby and moving . . . and he doesn't see how he could possibly keep Doc through all the turmoil. So he's got three months in which we are going to work our asses off to get this poor dog the home he deserves.

Doc is a stellar example of a pit bull--he's just bursting with love for everyone he meets, he's happy, super energetic and athletic, he's comical and fun-loving, he's way eager to work at whatever task he's put to (some would call it a strong work ethic, I guess), and he's a great pit bull ambassador. I can't say enough good things about him, really. His current "owner" says he's been a dream to have over the past year, charms the pants off everyone he meets, and is great company for a single guy (or gal). He loves his Kong, he loves to snuggle on the couch, and he loves to play, play, play. He's good with kids, has lived with other dogs (but is reactive to a challenge), and is a great public ambassador for our dogs.

My heart is broken for him, he deserves so much better. I've posted him to both Petfinder and submitted a listing to PBRC tonight. And I really hope the members of the pit bull rescue community can help network him as well--this dog is one of those rare dogs that really does something to you when you meet him . . . I know this'll sound cliche, and everyone says it about their rescue dogs, but he's really special. Please, if you know of anyone who can offer Doc a home--a PERMANENT home--PM me and I'll get you an application. We're also looking into testing his drives for the Lawdogs program but I have to spend a little time with him this weekend to see how he handles some of the tests that program suggests putting the dogs through. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of Doc . . . these are a bit old, and he's a bit thicker now than he was in these pictures taken. I'll be taking more this Saturday.

Here's his Petfinder page:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=3893520

babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 27th, 2006, 7:16 am

WHAT?????????????? you have got to be kidding.. he wont handle the turmoil?? ooooh erin i am soooo pissed at this.... poor Doc... i will post him everywhere, write up a bio and email it to me at mprinces@ptd.net and i will crosspost him everywhere
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 27th, 2006, 8:43 am

erin, what about Jason on pbf? he had bebe and had to euthanize her, he is looking now toward male dogs since his mom and grandma dont want another female because of bebe
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » June 27th, 2006, 9:00 am

You guys will find him a good home, I know you will!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby babyreba » June 27th, 2006, 9:04 am

He really needs a home that will stick--like for good.

ME, I didn't think of Jay . . . I do know that if he adopted Doc he would be devoted to him, but I do have the concern that he's only 15 and his grandma would be the one making the ultimate decision about the dog . . . but then again, they really did do right by Bebe . . .
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 9:06 am

I forwarded the link to my friend, even though they are looking for a female.
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 27th, 2006, 9:07 am

i would contact him erin, he is heartbroken, i even had lora from hartagold contact me about maybe jeda for him, but his mom and grandma said no because she looks too much like bebe,... i think he would fall for doc in a second..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 9:09 am

Jason would definately do right, he would be a great home.
Purple
I live here

Postby babyreba » June 27th, 2006, 11:35 am

He PM'd me and I PM'd him back. I also PM'd Nan about him (Nan fostered Doc for months) and I also will need to get the clearance from Cameron, who had him for a year, and Ami Cantos, who was one of his original rescue folks.

I want to make sure we're all on the same page, since Doc was a group effort.

It would be absolutely amazing if Doc did end up being the dog to heal that family's broken heart--and he is that kind of dog.

I will certainly keep everyone posted!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » June 27th, 2006, 11:40 am

Excellent!
Purple
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 27th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Damn is he cute! The sad eyes picture is heartbreaking! I hope it works out!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby muse » June 27th, 2006, 3:00 pm

He is a beautiful boy. I'll send out some emails as well.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Asta » June 27th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Oh i remember Doc very well!!! Gorgeous dog in every way :) Very sad to hear about his new situation...But thrilled that that kid (i have been following all the events) might be his new caretaker, great stuff :clap:

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » July 31st, 2006, 8:31 am

ERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check your emial.. i got a response from AFF!!!!!

Hi Maryellen,

My office sent me over your email about Doc and 2 days later I got an email from one of our potential adopters inquiring about him.

I did not notice in the email how old he was? Also with all of the white is he deaf?

We normally pull dogs from shelters and do not take owner surrenders. One of the reasons is although our facility offers more than most the dogs from homes don’t do very well long term.

If you still have him I would be interested in speaking with you further about him. Thanks, Bernice
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 31st, 2006, 11:48 am

What a shame after all your efforts for this to happen. I hope he gets a forever home soon. He is very handsome. Good luck!!
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Hoyden » August 6th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Check your PM's - I have a potential home.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby babyreba » August 6th, 2006, 11:29 pm

just PM'd ya back!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Return to Rescue