Top 10 ingredients...good or bad?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 9:52 am

Chicken Meal
Brewers Rice
Corn Gluten Meal
Ground Corn
Chicken
Animal Fat
Chicken Liver Digest
Dried Beet Pulp
Dried Egg Product
Canola Oil
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » May 10th, 2006, 10:01 am

Below are definitions to the ingredients that can be applied to all dog food manufacturers.
Animal by-product meal: The rendered tissue and parts of animals, not including added feet, hooves, horns, stomachs, hair, hide trimmings, manure and rumen except as unavoidable during processing.

Animal Digest: A compound as a result from the chemical and enzymatic decomposition of clean and undecomposed animal tissue not including hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except as unavoidable in processing.

Meat and Bone Meal: Rendered from meat and bone not including hair, blood, horns, hooves, manure, hide trimmings, stomach or rumen contents except which is unavoidable during processing. Only 14% of this may be indigestible residue and no more than 11 percent indigestible crude protein.

Beef, chicken and animal fat: Fat obtained from poultry and mammalian tissue during the process of rendering.

Corn gluten meal: The dried residue from corn after the starches, germs and brans are removed.

Meat meal: Rendered meal made from mammal tissues not including hair, hooves, blood, horns, hide trimmings, stomach or rumen, and manure except for what is unavoidable during processing. It cannot contain added any foreign matter and may not contain more than 14% indigestible materials. Indigestible crude protein cannot be more than 11%. Meals are also used after process and give a more ture actual weigh on the list of label ingredients for placement over whole meats.

Meat or meat based: This is meat that is the clean flesh of slaughtered cattle, pigs, sheep or goats and can include striated skeletal muscle, tongue, diaphragm, hear or esophagus, overlying fat and some skin, sinew, nerves and blood vessels already in this flesh. After processing these meats can loose up to 80% of their total weight pushing it down the list from number 1 to 4 and beyond.

Grains: Whole, ground cracked and flaked, including corn, barley, whet, rice, oats, brewer’s rice, brown rice and just about any other grain.

Ground corn: The whole corn kernel.

Poultry: The clean flesh and skin either with or without the accompanying carcass bone but not include feathers, feet, entrails and heads.

Poultry by product meal: The ground, rendered, clean poultry parts like necks, feet, intestines and partially developed eggs while not including feathers except as unavoidable by processing.

Poultry by products: The nonrendered clean parts of poultry including heads, feet and viscera but it must be free of fecal and foreign matter except as unavoidable by processing.

Amaranth: A superior grain and source of good carbohydrates, minerals and flavor

Alfalfa meal: The finely ground meal of the alfalfa plant.

Semolina: The endosperm of durum wheat and is high in protein

Barley: Contains at minimum 80% good quality barley and no more than 3% heat damaged, 6% foreign material, 20% other grains or 10% of wild oats.

Barley flour: Ground barley meal

Brown rice: Left over unpolished rice

Soybean meal: Rendered by product of soybean oil production

Grain sorghum: Member of the grass family; can be either grain sorghums, grass sorghums, sweet sorghums or broomcorn

Cereal food fines: the by product meal made from leftovers during commercial human cereal production

Flaxseed: Known also as linseed which is high in Omega-3 fatty acids

Linseed meal: The residue of flaxseed oil production

Mesquite bean meal: By product of production but high in nutrients that help regulate blood sugar

Oatmeal: Real healthy oats made into a meal

Whole Eggs: The best source of usable protein and rates above all meats and meat meals and meat products. Shells contain calcium carbonate good for strong teeth

Beef tallow: Hard, white, fatty substance that provides difficulty in digesting

Animal digest: A liquid or powder made with clean under-composed animal tissue broken down through a chemical or emblematic hydrolysis. I cannot contain horns, hooves, teeth, hair or feathers except that which is unavoidable. Digest names have to be descriptive of their specific source i.e. chick, beef, lamb digest.

Fish meal: Clean and dried ground tissue of whole fish or fish cuttings which may or may not have oil still. Fish meal in a dogs diet is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids.

Salmon: Clean whole salmon meat or meat cuttings that may or may not still have oil. Salmon in dog food is great as it contains Omega-6 and good quality protein.

Turnip greens: Fresh vegetable which contains calcium, Omega-3, vitamin A & C. Great product for pet foods.

Tomatoes: Whole vegetable with carotenoids, beta-carotene, and vitamins A & C.

Peas and carrots: Fresh vegetable full of fiber with an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Also used for a palatable flavor.

Oranges: Used to combat some of the toxins in food as well as provide vitamin C for good immunity and reduces cholesterol.

Pumpkin: A squash with nutritious properties including fiber.

Papaya: Also added for fiber as well as its enzymes used in the digestive process and absorption of critical vitamins and minerals.

Guava Leaves: Helps to combat effects of diarrhea.

Peppermint Leaves: Sometimes added for good dog breath.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 10th, 2006, 10:02 am

BAD ingredients.

why would you want to feed your dog
Corn Gluten Meal - gross
Ground Corn - gross again, dogs are carnivores not cows
Chicken what kind of chicken?
Animal Fat what kind of animal fat?
Chicken Liver Digest - gross
Dried Beet Pulp - beet pulp ? why?
Dried Egg Product
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 10th, 2006, 10:03 am

see this topic here, which is what part of yvette posted:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2330
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 10:13 am

I was going to start feeding Dick Van Pattens, but for a 25lb bag the price was $40, I am getting a 40lb bag of Eukanuba for $33. Nevermind folks and thanks anyway!
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » May 10th, 2006, 10:15 am

you can get a 40 lb bag of canidae for $30 which is MUCH better then eukaneuba
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 10:15 am

Oh, I know Eukanuba isn't the best food as far as natural ingredients are concerned but it's closer to the best of the best compared to some of it's competitors like the other Iams crap and Science Diet etc.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 10:16 am

I'll look it up. Thanks!
Maryellen wrote:you can get a 40 lb bag of canidae for $30 which is MUCH better then eukaneuba
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » May 10th, 2006, 10:17 am

Maryellen wrote:you can get a 40 lb bag of canidae for $30 which is MUCH better then eukaneuba

Agreed, and the dogs LOVE it.
Corn doesn't digest in US, OR dogs. Give your dog a can of corn and watch what happens. (Well maybe you can guess). Why fill dog food with it?
ETA: Because it's cheap, they can fill up the food with it and sell it cheaper than a better quality food without corn.
You had posted asking how to get muscles on your dog.
How can one expect to get muscles on a dog by giving them food that will run right through them?
As Dr. Phil asks..."How's that working for you?"
Last edited by msvette2u on May 10th, 2006, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 10th, 2006, 10:18 am

Yeah, that food is crap. Rice, corn corn corn BEET PULP!

I am wondering why you think that eukanuba is so wonderful. It really isnt. The ingredients arent very good, and you would be shocked at how much better your dogs would look on something like Canidae or another high quality food. I'm not even going to get into how wonderful the raw diet would be for your dog. It's MUCH cheaper too!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 10th, 2006, 10:21 am

http://www.canidae.com/

All Natural Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 10:26 am

Canidae:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Eukanuba:
Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Fish Meal (source of fish oil and DHA), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Marigold Extract (source of Lutein), Rosemary Extract
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 10th, 2006, 10:34 am

I will never be able to understand the money issue when it comes to feeding your dogs correctly. Think about it in terms of everything else. $40 for a bag of good food that is going to last you 3-4 weeks? That's nothing! Think about how much it costs to feed yourself, or to fill up your gas tank, or anything else.

When Wally was on pre-made frozen raw it cost me between $100 and $150 a month. And I was only making about $100 a week when I started him on it. I wouldn't have had it any other way. He stool was smaller, harder, less frequent. He was healthier, his coat was growing back in and was silky. It really shouldn't be a question of money when it comes to feeding something as important as your own dog, which many consider a family member, and even if you consider it "property" as opposed to a family member, wouldn't you want it running in top shape? Don't you use premium oil in your car to keep it running smoothly? It's no different with keeping a dog running smoothly . . . you've got to feed it right.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 10:40 am

I may switch to Canidae if I can find a supplier close by. I'm in the Dallas area.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » May 10th, 2006, 10:43 am

msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 10th, 2006, 10:57 am

the canidae is much better then the euk.... it will last longer, and the dogs will do much better on it... if you cant find canidae near you try http://www.merrick.com or http://www.naturesvariety.com or http://www.timberwolforganics.com or california natural dry dog food..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » May 10th, 2006, 11:21 am

Boss Hogg wrote:I may switch to Canidae if I can find a supplier close by. I'm in the Dallas area.

You'll be really pleased with the results if you do...Canidae's a really good food.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 10th, 2006, 11:24 am

concreterose wrote:
Boss Hogg wrote:I may switch to Canidae if I can find a supplier close by. I'm in the Dallas area.

You'll be really pleased with the results if you do...Canidae's a really good food.

My foster is on Canidae and she's doing fabulously.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby turtle » May 10th, 2006, 11:42 am

Canidae is an excellent food and it's a good price too.

Don't just depend on the web site to find a retailer. Often the stores that carry it are not listed. I found that out myself, the closest one going by the web site was 70 miles from me. But I called around and asked and found a pet store with Canidae right down the street 1 mile away!

If you have Pet Supplies Plus chain near you, they have it. Try calling some feed stores too.

How can you go wrong for $30 a 40 pound bag???
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 10th, 2006, 12:45 pm

While not the best, I'd even recommend ProPlan over Euk....

There are several foods that would be much better....

You might spend more for a bag, but you're going to use less...

So, if you're spending $33 on a bag of Euk, but need to get it 2 times a month, that's $66/month....if you are spending $30 for a bag of Canidae, but need 1.5 bags per month...guess, what...that's $45/month...

You need to think of it in those terms....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next