Top 5 dog kibbles rated

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby turtle » January 11th, 2006, 1:11 am

Most of you have read this before but it's helpful info. I've done a lot of reading about dog nutrition over the years and feeding a quality diet is really the number one best thing you can do for your dog.

I have fed most of the foods below and there is a huge difference between these high quality kibbles and plain ol' Purina and such. I'm currently feeding Timberwolf supplemented with Raw and my dog is doing superbly on this diet. Each dog is different so it's a good idea to try a few foods to find what works best for your dog.

This is by Pat (barbponys) who has over 10 years experience with dog institution and health. She has seen how different foods effect dogs and the results of good nutrition. Cross posted with permission:

----------------------------------------------------

Permission of the author of this information (Pat/ barbponys/ elf65) has been withdrawn.

--------------------------

Edited to add:

I see I forgot to post the link to this dog food info site:

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

It's a very useful site about dog foods and how to pick a good one. Here is their page on how to read the labels:

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht1.html

And then there are all the dog foods in charts so you can read what's in them You can compare most all the brands. Most foods are under the "Pet store/Feed store brands" but if you don't find it, check the other pages.

It's such a helpful site I am surprised I forgot to post it!

A young dog will look good on a crappy food but it takes its toll as they age and their health really suffers in the long run. It's a false economy to feed a low quality food. With a high quality food, the dog gets better nutrition so they poop less and you also feed them less because they get more out of the food.
Last edited by turtle on February 26th, 2006, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 11th, 2006, 9:38 am

:goodStuff:

I have used EVO since it came out. It might be a year now.

I love it and the dogs love it.

Small poops, lotsa energy.

The water issue isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned. The water is always out and always fresh. They don't seem to drink anymore then usual.

I believe mnp13 / Michelle had blood work done on Ruby to see if the extra protein caused any issues and it didn't.

I plan on rotating to another kibble or going Raw just to mix it up. I think that's a good thing to do.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » January 11th, 2006, 10:39 am

I feed Nature's Variety, I rotate the flavors, and use Merrick canned. It's like feeding time at the zoo her, they love their food.
Merrick canned Wing-a-Ling and Smothered Comfort are their absolute favorites!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Sue » January 11th, 2006, 11:26 am

I feed NV as well. Wellness was too rich for Rory and CA Natural made her allergies worse. NV has been just right.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » January 13th, 2006, 11:38 am

Purple wrote:I feed Nature's Variety, I rotate the flavors, and use Merrick canned. It's like feeding time at the zoo her, they love their food.
Merrick canned Wing-a-Ling and Smothered Comfort are their absolute favorites!!

I used Merrick kibbles (Buffalo, Venison & Salmon), per Purple's suggestion. Has worked like a charm on my blue & white guy, as blues are prone to skin issues--and he sure has them.

Both my dogs seem very eager to eat it, too.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 13th, 2006, 12:34 pm

the merrick canned is like doggy crack.... mine go nuts when i pop open a can..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 12:35 pm

After a taste test with several samples of 'preimum' dog foods, Strak choose Wellness. We fed him that for several months but he ended up with mottled skin coloring and lots of itching which could have been from canola oil and/or wheat/corn? So we went over to all raw and his poop could get runny at times. We decided that a small amount of dry might not be a bad idea for elements other than protein. We bought Diamond's Lamb & Rice which had no canola, wheat or corn and have been using that ever since. We add a bit of olive oil to the dry as he still tends to a drier coat and some scratching. I know about the Diamond scare with bad corn and chicken too. The Lamb & Rice formula we buy is made in CA and not a part of that horrible and sad food poisoning that Diamond had with their corn and chicken products.

Yes dogs would most likely eat a 'meat' diet in 'nature'. But I can't imagine that they never ate anything vegetable related either. Who hasn't seen their dog try to munch out on grass? And what dog has turned their nose up at cookies or even left overs such as yams and stew with carrots and potatoes? Of course this should not be a mainstay, but a treat. And I have a hard picturing that intestine linings, be they dog or human, wouldn't benefit by some fiber which meat doesn' have either.

Thanks gf for your review. It is very helpful when one is trying to pick what is the 'best' for our furry friends.
JainDaugh

Postby a-bull » January 13th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Maryellen wrote:the merrick canned is like doggy crack.... mine go nuts when i pop open a can..

Same here, but for whatever reason, the canned made one of my dog's mouth itch, but not the kibble.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Ruby was on EVO for a while and had blood tests both before and after 6 months of it being her only food. There was no change in teh results.

She's on Merrick and not doing all that great on it, but she LOVES it. It is the only food she is dog aggressive over.

As for fiber/roughage, there is evidence that dogs eat grass to settle their stomachs or make them vomit - depending on the dog. In the wild, they don't eat vegetables as a meal, but they do get vegetable matter from the stomachs of vegetarian animals. I can't really imagine a dog munching on corn from a field or digging up potatoes or carrots. they naturally eat bones for roughage, and tendons and other non-digestables also provide roughage. I would also guess that chewing sticks and in Connor's case, logs would provide plenty of fiber.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Odd that you would mention this -

[quote]can't really imagine a dog munching on corn from a field or digging up potatoes or carrots.

since I heard from someone who's dog would dig up the carrots in their garden AND eat them too :wink: This may have started with the dog watching the owner dig in the ground
but I will add that our previous dog Wyatt loved carrots too :) Guess its an individual taste thingie. :)
JainDaugh

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Ruby loves carrots, borccoli and a few other vegetables. Connor will eat an entire onion; which I gave him as a joke and he wolfed it down. Oops!

Connor will also eat whole apples.

I think some dogs will probably eat just about anything they can find. You are correct, I should not have made an 'absolute' statement like that. But I do not believe that it should be a staple of any dog's diet.

Unfortunately, to make kibble you must have fillers to keep the nuggets together. Most foods sold in a grocery store or other large commercial stores have very high amounts of fillers and chemical preservatives. Corn is an excellent example of this; you might as well put sawdust in there. Beet pulp is a binder so that the dogs have smaller, harder poop. Which they would have if the food was higher quality.

I won't eat foods with chemical preservatives, so I try very hard not to feed them to my pets either.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyVW » January 13th, 2006, 7:18 pm

I have fed Wellness, Canidae, and some other crap not worth mentioning. Currenlty, I do about 3/4 Canidae and 1/4 RAW....and my dogs are great.

Recently I've been reading up on Prairie. What's the thought on their kibble?
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 7:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:Connor will eat an entire onion; which I gave him as a joke and he wolfed it down. Oops!

That's way worse then chocolate!

I always supplement with raw. My standard thing to do is to throw in a hardboiled egg, which they love. A little more fat and protein fsor them.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Romanwild wrote:That's way worse then chocolate!

:shutUp:

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 9:28 pm

:moon:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 13th, 2006, 9:30 pm

I have tried many varieties in the Wellness. My pups started with Wellness Puppy and then went to Wellness Simple Solutions Venison because of gas issues. In the middle we tried Candidae which made their vitality level go through the roof. But I am actually on Fromm's now along with Merrick as a wet food. We are trying to shift over to RAW but we shall see how it goes.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 13th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Romanwild wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Connor will eat an entire onion; which I gave him as a joke and he wolfed it down. Oops!

That's way worse then chocolate!

I always supplement with raw. My standard thing to do is to throw in a hardboiled egg, which they love. A little more fat and protein fsor them.

Why you cooking that egg? Give it to them raw, shell & all. IF they will eat the shell that is, I only have one that will eat it. Besides, boiled eggs gives them the farts.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Are you guys ready for this - Strak doesn't like eggs! Not raw over his food or cooked either. Talk about odd :o
JainDaugh

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Doesn't like them? That is odd!

I cook them because DSsreyfsus dssidsn't like them raw. and they are kinda messy.

I might try it again though.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » January 13th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Mine will leave puddles of drool on the kitchen floor, for LETTUCE!!!!
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health