Teaching a dog not to pick up things

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ellie@ny » December 28th, 2006, 7:24 pm

So I still don't know what was wrong with Nic,but I wan't to be sure that they don't pick up anything on a walk anymore when they go potty etc.
So how should I do it?Any ideas?Should I go ahead before the walk put food down,then when they try to pick it up,correct them with the leash?
I wan't them to remember that pick up something is a VERY BAD thing,and I'm not sure only leash correction will be enough? :|
They drop anything if I tell them,I want to teach them when I don't see them (in the bushes,behind a tree etc) do not pick up anything.
:|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 28th, 2006, 7:30 pm

You start with them on leash, then continue with them at close range off leash so you can deliver a correction that way. You can "spike" meat with hot sauce so they "self correct" if they grab it.

An e-collar works as well, but you have to be careful about the dog getting collar smart.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » December 29th, 2006, 9:05 am

On December 28 2006, mnp13 wrote:You start with them on leash, then continue with them at close range off leash so you can deliver a correction that way. You can "spike" meat with hot sauce so they "self correct" if they grab it.

An e-collar works as well, but you have to be careful about the dog getting collar smart.

Thankx Michelle I will try to put something in the food,altough I'm afraid they will smell the hot sauce?What else could work,that they won't smell,but tastes bad for them?
I don't own an e-collar.... :(
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 29th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Put a jalapenio in a glob of peanut butter, that has been reported to work.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior