Need some info on heat cycles - my girl is bleeding

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » December 27th, 2006, 7:50 pm

How long do heat cycles last,? My pup is 8-9 months old and is now leaving blood spots on the couch. :(

I don't know if she has been with a male - could she be bred and still bleed, or are chances slim on that account?

She's housebound and leash bound now until this is over but I'm not sure how long it lasts and where she is at in the cycle.

Could anyone clue me in?
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Yes, she could already have been bred - has she been out without you recently? Dogs can tie through chain link...

Are you keeping her intact for any reason? If she has been bred, you may want to consider an abort/spay... there isn't any real need for more Pits from unplanned breedings!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Leslie H » December 27th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Heat cycles last approx. 21 days. While most females can become pregnant around day 12-14, there are many exceptions, some are fertile on day 4, some on 21. Females may or may not accept a male regardless of whether they are fertile at that time. Male semen is viable for 24 hours or so. In short, restrict her access completely. If she just started bleeding today, she probably couldn't get pregnant yet, but there's no guarantee. Some females have very little swelling or bleeding when they go into heat, so she may have been in heat longer than you know. Beware, both males and females become escape and demolition artists at this time. I know of a male that demolished his crate, the basement door, a bedroom door, and then bred to the female (I can't remember if he bred her through the crate or not). If you are not planning on showing your dog, there is virtually no reason to keep her intact. Heat cycles suck.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby katiek0417 » December 27th, 2006, 9:00 pm

If you are careful, then I wouldn't be worried. I have a very horny male here and 4 unfixed females. Other than some whining and whimpering when they are in heat, everything is fine.

We keep the male separated from the females while they are in heat unless we are trying to breed them...

All the girls here have had heat cycles of 21 days. After about 7 days, their vulva becomes extremely swollen. It is USUALLY during this time that they are fertile - another way to tell is a drop in their temperature (a drop means that they are surging).

In both houses I have had, I have never had any problem with my females being in heat and anyone getting to them...and in both there are several unfixed males in the vicinity...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Zoeysmom » December 27th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Dogs can tie through chain link...

wow that would be pretty wierd to see!!

I feel relieved whever my uncle gets mad because his 9 month old rottie won't stand for his male....for crying out loud shes only a puppy!! I get so mad just thinking of the poor gilr locked in a outside kennel unsupervised all day and night with a horny male...too bad if she ever went missing one day :twisted:

To the OP,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get your girl spayed!! You do not want to go thru the process of puppy poo and all the money it costs to care for a bitch thru pregnancy and whelping. If she already is pregnant...have at least $1500 sitting around for an emergency C-section.

Trust me...paying the $200+ to get a dog spayed is WAAAAY better than having to put up with years of heat cycles and puppies...remember, a female dog can produce up to 13 puppies in one whelping!!! BE prepared!!!
...don't breed or buy, while shelter animals die...
...if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet...
...there is no such thing as a "Christmas puppy or kitten", an animal companion is forever...
...Rap sucks, Metal Rules...
...Let there be rock baby!!...
Zoeysmom
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 10:52 pm

On December 27 2006, 20:00, katiek0417 wrote:If you are careful, then I wouldn't be worried.

Unfortunately, this is in her first post:
I don't know if she has been with a male - could she be bred and still bleed, or are chances slim on that account?

Which would lead me to believe that she was not aware of the dog going into heat, so the dog really could be pregnant.

Beetle - don't take these posts as attacks, we are trying to help you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » December 27th, 2006, 11:08 pm

No, you guys are fine - I'm just tangled up in a million things at once.

Im trying to find the calendar that I have that had the date marked that I got her so I dont lie and get "busted" on how long Ive had her - but I think its been eaten by one of the dogs.

Am also trying to look up mega esophagus(sp?) because I just read through the BARF thread someone has here- and one of the replies mentions a cat with unknown problems while eating...

Have gotten tied up reading a thread in another forum about euthanasia methods...

Im also working on a yahoo group, uploading pics on petfinder and am emailing a rescue about some dogs they were supposed to pick up from my pound today.

I always go a mile a minute on the internet, and rarely get things done. :)
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 11:10 pm

On December 27 2006, 22:08, maybe.I.am.a.beetle wrote:Am also trying to look up mega esophagus(sp?) because I just read through the BARF thread someone has here- and one of the replies mentions a cat with unknown problems while eating...

That's my cat Faye.

I always go a mile a minute on the internet, and rarely get things done. :)

Trust me, I'm with you on this!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » December 27th, 2006, 11:19 pm

ok - the 22nd is when I brought her in. She was running a few days prior to that, and I don't know any history (naturally) because she's a stray.

She's the one I posted about in the intro forum.

I havent been able to get her in to the vet because of the holidays, and vet backlogs - I use certian vets for their low cost S/N but I'm hoping to get her into a program near my home where they'll do her for free due to her breed.

Even if things weren't so hectic at this time of the year, I would have waited to get her fixed until after a 5 day stray hold - if I could personally place her, or decided to keep her (I'm area ACO, btw) or would have released her to a rescue if one could be found.

Our track record is not good on the breed, unfortunantly - and unless rescue can be found, pits are unadoptable per city regulations. Rescues in this area are always usually packed, or very reluctant to take animals in from AC that have no history.
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » December 27th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Yes she could. I am an ACO in WA state and had that very thing happen to a female that came in once. She was still actively dripping blood and I adopted her out (big mistake) telling the new owner to spay ASAP, preferably the next week. She ended up never getting her spay and was pg. They wrote me 7 weeks later asking what they can do, luckily they replied TO the email where I'd told them she was in heat so to do her spay ASAP. As a municipality we did not spay the animals prior to adoption unfortunately. I'd never again, however, adopt out a female in heat after that incident.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 11:30 pm

OOOHHHHHH!

I didn't connect the two threads, I thought this was "your" dog. So, bred or not, a spay will take care of the problem! YAY!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » December 27th, 2006, 11:44 pm

On December 27 2006, 10:30 PM, mnp13 wrote:OOOHHHHHH!

I didn't connect the two threads, I thought this was "your" dog. So, bred or not, a spay will take care of the problem! YAY!

She's pretty much under the radar - if she had been picked up by the police here in town she would have been held for 5 days then taken to the Humane Society to be euthanized.

I work in the next town over, but we only pick up dogs in city limits. She was between "jurisdictions" when I found her, so she could have gone to the HS or the pound, depending on who found her and where they took her. The pound offers "pit bulls and mixes thereof" a 5 day stray hold before manditory euthanasia unless an owner claims it.

As a good samaritan - as a citizen, I picked her up and decided to keep her or find her a home, unless I can find her owner. Absolute personal decision - and it gives me time to get to know her and decide if I'll keep her or rehome her on my own.

Problem solved - and a guaranteed life saving decision for her.
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby Zoeysmom » December 28th, 2006, 12:33 am

heh... :D :oops:

I thought it was your dog too and you let her loose and thats why you thought she was preg....sorry :D

I usually give my "scarey" talk about breeding dogs. But only for people who want to do it for the money or have no clue what they Are doing.

Anyways hopefully she isn't prego and you can have her spayed and in her forever home in no time!! Congrats on taking in this girl and giving her a second chance (hopefully) :)
...don't breed or buy, while shelter animals die...
...if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet...
...there is no such thing as a "Christmas puppy or kitten", an animal companion is forever...
...Rap sucks, Metal Rules...
...Let there be rock baby!!...
Zoeysmom
Just Whelped

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » December 30th, 2006, 6:01 pm

:D

I posted some pound pictures in the off topic section. Its cluttered, but it gives you guys an idea of where I come from.
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby Carla » January 7th, 2007, 2:15 am

but I'm hoping to get her into a program near my home where they'll do her for free due to her breed.

Sounds breed specific....

I'm curious....what are the conditions for getting a free spay/neuter? Just that it's a Pit Bull?

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maybe.I.am.a.beetle » January 7th, 2007, 3:16 am

The ones I can think of off hand are for Pits year 'round:

http://www.mprgroup.net/links.html

Calling this number : 1-800-SPAY-PGH will get you free resources for Pits in the St Louis area.

Little Red Wagon is for Pits and Rotties:

http://www.petsavers.org/articles/Spay_ ... _SPOT.html

I have a whole listing of low cost spay/neuter info, also - for my area, and many of the places discount or eliminate fees that are already lowered for Pits:

Low Cost Spay/Neuter Options

“2006 FREE FURRY FIXâ€
maybe.I.am.a.beetle
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 7th, 2007, 8:55 am

maybe.I.am.a.beetle, I re-posted your information above in the rescue section as well.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Nutrition & Health