Elmo and Tully

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Murfins » February 13th, 2006, 6:11 am

Ouch! I'm so sorry this happened to your dogs. I hope they heal up quickly.
Murfins
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pLaurent » February 13th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I do watch my dogs when they are outside, I have a chain link fence

Me too. I sure didn't feel like throwing around 3200$ last year for a fence, but the alternative cost - both financially and emotionally - of having my dog get into it with the neighbour's Lab, or even a dog running loose on my property made me cough it up.

I couldn't really afford it and there's lots of more enjoyable or fun things I would rather have spent that money on. Lots.

I"m very sorry sweet little Elmo and Tully got so ripped up unnecessarily and hope they recover well.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » February 13th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Yes, paying for fences is expensive. I paid over $7000 a couple years ago for my front yard fence and the retaining wall that had to be built for it. I was having trouble with loose dogs running into my yard. Even with my dog being tied up in my own yard, if a fight had started, I am sure the "evil pit bull" would be blamed.

I still watch my dog when she is out and keep her tied to her tree even though I have a 6 foot wood fence. It only takes a minute for something to go wrong, for a dog who never jumped a fence to decide to do so, for another dog to run along outside and fence fight, for someone to call your dog to the gate and steal them, etc. etc.

Strong fences are a necessity with pit bulls or any dog. And one can never be too careful...

I hope Elmo and Tully heal up quickly and I am very glad little Tess was not out with them when this happened.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Sarah » February 13th, 2006, 1:51 pm

My front yard is not fenced, and my dogs don't go out there. Only the backyard.

There is no point where I can stand where I can see the entire backyard, including if I'm out there. Where the yard goes along the side of the house, if I'm in the backyard, I can't see (that's actually where they broke through) From inside the house, I can see very little of the backyard. After dark (ie; most of the winter, when we have about 8 hrs of daylight), I can see almost none of it, not having night vision.

I could however see anyone who was trying to walk through my front yard to the (padlocked) gates to my backyard.

Oh, and I dont trust chainlink fences, and won't use them. The dog being able to easily see through the fence leads to barrier aggression, makes it too easy for someone to see your dog to steal (and see how to open the gate), and most powerful dogs can rip through chainlink if they want to.
Sarah
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm

I wish all 3 of you speedy recoveries & if it will help you guys I will take Tess off of your hands. I know what a pain in the butt little ones are & am willing to make that sacrifice just for you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » February 13th, 2006, 6:31 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I wish all 3 of you speedy recoveries & if it will help you guys I will take Tess off of your hands. I know what a pain in the butt little ones are & am willing to make that sacrifice just for you.

You're very kind, Debby, but we all know how busy you are, so I can take Tess instead. :lol3: :bananaDance:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Sarah » February 13th, 2006, 7:16 pm

You are both so generous! LOL!

I suspect the vet that's been treating Elmo & Tully might be willing to take Tess off my hands, too. She told me today (we went in to have Elmo's drains out) that she's always gotten pound dogs, but after meeting mine, she might have to "go the Staffordshire way". She was impressed with how sweet and forgiving they are. They both love going to the vet, and tend to smother the vet and vet's assistants with kisses, no matter what is being done to them.

She was very pleased with their progress, btw, and said they were doing better than she would have dared expect from when she first saw them on Thursday. I'm taking Tully off the painkillers now, she doesn't need them anymore.
Sarah
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » February 13th, 2006, 7:29 pm

That's great news, Sarah! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » February 13th, 2006, 10:15 pm

That's great news!! My offer stands anytime! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » February 13th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Here's to a speedy and uneventful recovery.... :prescription:
Purple
I live here

Postby Murfins » February 13th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Fantastic update! :)
Murfins
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » February 14th, 2006, 8:41 am