Cerberus

Postby Magnolia618 » December 17th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Cerberus was euthanized today.

For those of you who dont know, we have been having some serious behavior issues with Cer. Soon after we got him, he snapped at Tom after he tried to put him in his crate to feed him. Since then, he was put on strict NILIF, but his behaviour continued to worsen. He became food aggressive and on several occasions, threatened us with a growl or showed us his teeth when he didnt want to do what we wanted him to. On one occasion, he was getting into the garbage (his head is level with it) and Tom told him to 'go lay down'. He didnt listen and tried to get into the garbage again. Tom grabbed his collar to move him to another room and Cerberus growled and snapped at him.

About a month ago, Tom put Cer in his crate with his dinner. A few minutes later, he went to the crate to say goodnight to him, and Cer hit the crate door lunging and growling. Tom attempted to take him out of the crate so that he could get his food away from him and Cer bit his hand pretty bad. He missed two days of work because of it. It has been over a month and his hand still isnt 100% back to normal. This coincided with the death of Tom's grandfather, so even though we knew what we had to do, we put it off.

Last week, Tom was in the kitchen cooking and Maggie and Cerberus were bothering him. I called Maggie on the couch, and I told Cer to lay down next to me. He went into a down, and then immediately stood up because he wanted to be in the kitchen. I put him into a down. He got up. I went to put him into another down and he grabbed my wrist. His canines hit the soft part of my wrist between the bones, so it didnt break the skin, but it was extremely sore afterwards. I was very very lucky that the bite wasnt harder, because I could feel his canines yanking the tendons in my wrist.

If he was a smaller dog, this wouldnt be as much of a problem. Cerberus is over 100 pounds. He could do some serious damage. Both Tom and I are VERY lucky that he let go and didnt inflict more damage on either of us.

Tom has young children and we have company over very often. We couldnt take the risk of him biting someone else.

On top of that, he was getting old, and his hips were getting weak.

Today, we brought him to a state park near us and took him on a hike. He had a wonderful time and we let him have all of the sliced turkey he wanted.

After the park, we brought him to the shelter and I held him while he took his last breath.

This was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. There is nothing like seeing your dog, your best friend, lying limp on a cold table with his face soaked in your tears.

We have only had him for about 4 months, but him and I had an incredible bond. He was such a wonderful dog and I will miss him so much.

Rest in peace Fat Boy. I'm so sorry. Even though I know I did the right thing, I am going to regret this for the rest of my life.

Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Marinepits » December 17th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Oh, Chea, I am so sorry this happened! I am sure you did all you could for him and I know he was loved well by you. :hug3:

RIP, big handsome Cerberus.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 17th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Chea...:hug3:...I'm so sorry. You did the right thing, and he went knowing that he was loved. You made his life better. RIP Cerberus...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby satanscheerleader » December 17th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Oh crap Chea. I'm so so sorry. :cry: RIP big boy. :cry:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 17th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Oh Chea, I am so sorry you had to do this but you made the right decision. You showed him love in his final chapter of life & for that I know he thanks you. (((hugs))) little sister. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » December 17th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Chea, I'm so sorry for both you and Tom. You did the right thing, just think if you had had to do that after he did serious injury to someone... then you would still regret it - for both that person and for having to do it at all. You did the best he could and gave him a great last four months, he would have passed his last days in a shelter had you not taken him in. You did the best you could for him, just try to remember that.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » December 17th, 2006, 8:25 pm

You gave him the best four months he could have asked for, and you definitely gave him the best last day. He died knowing he was loved.

Even though it's hard, you did the right thing. I am so sorry.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » December 17th, 2006, 8:31 pm

I am so sorry. :cry:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby turtle » December 17th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Oh no... Chea, I'm so very sorry. What a tough thing to have to go thru, even though it is for the best, it sure as hell does not make it any easier...

You gave him love and a home at the end, that's more than many dogs get in life. Don't blame yourself, and remember him as a big happy boy.

RIP Cerberus.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmypitties » December 18th, 2006, 4:51 pm

I am so sorry on the loss of your boy! I know it is repeating what everyone else has said but you did the right thing. He will be missed! You gave him a good 4 months! Sorry.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Miakoda » December 18th, 2006, 11:37 pm

I'm so sorry! I know what you went through & are going through as we are facing the same scenario with our dog, Wrigley.

Thank you for all you did for Cerberus. I'm sure those happy funfilled 4 months were the best 4 months of his life. :hug3:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » December 19th, 2006, 12:47 pm

RIP big boy. You will ne missed.

Chea, you and Tom did your best for him. I'm sure he could not have lived these last 4 months happier and more spoiled.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Big_Ant » December 19th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Chea,
You know you did the right thing. I'm very glad that there are still great owners who can see through the pain of realizing this about a loved dog.

You know I'm still here if you need to talk more.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Hoyden » December 19th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Although you are sad, know in your heart that letting him go is the best thing that you could do. Even though it hurts, it was the responsible thing to do.

RIP Cerberus.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Jenn » December 19th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Oh I'm so sorry! :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby ellie@ny » December 31st, 2006, 5:18 pm

OMG,I just read this,I'm so sorry...I had no idea that he had problems.
RIP big boy...
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmyangels » December 31st, 2006, 5:31 pm

I too just read your story. I am sorry you had to go through this.

RIP Cerberus.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » January 3rd, 2007, 2:37 pm

I just wanted to let you all know that I recieved Cerberus's ashes yesterday. Thanks to some wonderful friends I was able to pay for the cremation and put him in this beautiful urn:

I am also going to be buying a nice frame for that picture.

Rest in peace, my Cerberus!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 3rd, 2007, 2:58 pm

That's beautiful Chea. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » January 3rd, 2007, 4:11 pm

That's beautiful. :(

RIP Cerberus..
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends