Neutered question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Jenn » December 14th, 2006, 4:43 pm

So this may seem dumb, but I'm really wondering...

Are neutered males no longer attracted to females in heat? :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » December 14th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Not always. How's that for an answer!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » December 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm

That one bites! ;)

Sooooo, a dog that is neutered can still be freaked out, and out of control around a female in heat? Typically do they no longer care?
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » December 14th, 2006, 8:40 pm

On December 14 2006, 8:33 PM, Jenn wrote:That one bites! ;)

Sooooo, a dog that is neutered can still be freaked out, and out of control around a female in heat? Typically do they no longer care?

I think it depends on when they were neutered. When my friend's female Rottie came into season her male (who was neutered at 6 months) showed no interest. Yet Wally, who was neutered at 4 years (and who I have never once seen mount anything) mounted her a couple of time (though it's difficult to do anything because he was wearing his bellyband and she was wearing her lady panties, lol!).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » December 14th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Riggs has been around two females in heat since I've had him. He is distracted, but mostly listens. He does the occasional air hump and the red rocket makes an appearence but he doesn't scream and yell or get nuts. The funny thing is when he sniffs where she has gone to the bathroom or been sitting. He froths at the mouth and walks around snapping his teeth.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » December 14th, 2006, 10:57 pm

On December 14 2006, 10:53 PM, mnp13 wrote:Riggs has been around two females in heat since I've had him. He is distracted, but mostly listens. He does the occasional air hump and the red rocket makes an appearence but he doesn't scream and yell or get nuts. The funny thing is when he sniffs where she has gone to the bathroom or been sitting. He froths at the mouth and walks around snapping his teeth.

Or maybe it's like humans, some are just hornier than others whether or not they've been snipped :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » December 15th, 2006, 12:40 am

I personally don't think Oscar has any idea he's chopped :|

though I've never seen him react to any female dog in that way, and we did meet one just coming into heat when he was about 10 mos and had JUST been chopped...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Big_Ant » December 15th, 2006, 1:37 pm

On 12/14/2006 4:33 PM, Jenn wrote:Sooooo, a dog that is neutered can still be freaked out, and out of control around a female in heat? Typically do they no longer care?

He ain't gonna have any carpet pissers coming from it, so just let him run wild!

Coming Soon to a Backyard near you - "BENJAMIN GONE WILD: Raw and Uncut!"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Jenn » December 15th, 2006, 4:11 pm

LOL! Nothing to do with Ben.. His boys don't bother me, never have.

My question was actually brought on by a friend's male lab. He was adopted, and nuetered as a young pup. Anyway, her female is in heat, and it's causing all sorts of havoc. :lol3:
Reason why I asked. Since, I was always under the impression they would no longer be attracted to females in heat. Thats one of those "reasons why you should neuter" things. Supposedly that neutered males stay home blah blah blah. Apparently no one told this guy? She asked me about it, and I told her that as far as I knew they weren't supposed to be. Anyway, it's extremely odd, he's foaming, howling, humping everything ~ yet neutered. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » December 15th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Someone on another board said recently that their neutered male locked with a female. Don't know how true that is though :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » December 15th, 2006, 4:51 pm

On December 15 2006, 15:12, cheekymunkee wrote:Someone on another board said recently that their neutered male locked with a female. Don't know how true that is though :|

I'd believe it, Riggs gets a "knot" but doesn't usually show beyond an inch or two.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » December 15th, 2006, 5:24 pm

First and foremost, obedience is obedience....Greg will actually make Jue "down" where a female dog in heat has peed.

Second, yes a male who is neutered can still lock with the female (have seen it happen)...however, neutered males tend to only try if they've been bred before neutering...if they're neutered and have never had sex before, then they tend not to try....

How old was the pup when it was neutered, Jenn? Jue foams at the mouth even when one of our females aren't in heat....

Also, how long has it been since the pup was neutered? It can take a while for the "maleness" to leave the dog....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » December 15th, 2006, 6:34 pm

I'm really not sure. He was adopted from the shelter as a pup Novemberish of 05, and already neutered. He wasn't a tiny puppy when he was adopted, but still pretty small. So, guess he's somewhere past the year mark.

I'm surprised it's not as completely "abnormal" as I thought it was..
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » December 15th, 2006, 8:05 pm

On December 15 2006, 5:34 PM, Jenn wrote:I'm really not sure. He was adopted from the shelter as a pup Novemberish of 05, and already neutered. He wasn't a tiny puppy when he was adopted, but still pretty small. So, guess he's somewhere past the year mark.

I'm surprised it's not as completely "abnormal" as I thought it was..

Jenn, if he's past the year mark, then chances are that he already reached his sexual maturity before he was snipped...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior