23 More Dogs Seized From Suspected Fighting Ring

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » December 12th, 2006, 1:19 pm

http://www.wesh.com/news/10512593/detai ... &qs=1;bp=t

APOPKA, Fla. -- Orange County authorities confiscated 23 dogs on Monday, one day after a suspected dog-fighting ring was busted.

Investigators said they have seized more than 50 dogs since the weekend, WESH 2 News reported.

Most of the 23 dogs were pit bulls, including some puppies. They were taken from a home on East 18th Street in Apopka.

"Some of them do have scars similar to some of the other dogs we saw over at the other address from fighting," an investigator said.

On Sunday, investigators confiscated 31 dogs from a nearby home after discovering a blood-soaked ring in the back yard. Police believe the ring was used for dog fighting, a felony in Florida.

Investigators also found dried animal bones from dogs that may have died in the fights in nearby woods.

A family member at Sunday's home denied that there was any fighting going on.

"If dogs are together, sometimes they might scrap a little bit but that's about it. They love the dogs," the woman said.

Suspected participants ran away into the woods on Sunday when officers showed up, leaving their cars and, in some cases, their dogs behind.

Investigators said one of those vehicles led them to the home on 18th Street on Monday. A resident at that home said that the dogs were not used for fighting.

The dogs have been examined and put into separate cages at Animal Control until the criminal case is over.

Animal welfare advocates said in many cases, animals raised for fighting are not good candidates for adoption.

"It is too early to determine if these animals will be euthanized, but it is certainly an option if an animal is not adoptable," said Vanessa Bouffard of Animal Services.

There have been no arrests made, but the owner of the home with the bloody ring was issued a ticket that added up to more than $4,000, officials said.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » December 12th, 2006, 1:33 pm

:nono:
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmyangels » December 12th, 2006, 1:35 pm

I hate people. :evil:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » December 12th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Poor dogs! People like that makes me have more of a hatred for humans. I will pray for those dogs and I am sorry for them and what they went through. If they are euthanized it would be much better than what they have been through but hurts me to know they will never know the meaning of 'love'.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL