Harris County TX - Houston and surrounding areas!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby 04100824 » December 10th, 2006, 7:18 pm

There's trouble is Harris County - where I live...

http://www.beloblog.com/KHOU_Animal_Att ... l#comments

http://www.beloblog.com/KHOU_Animal_Att ... _bull.html

the poll - I voted in this last week, and can't see the results from this computer for some reason...

...nw there's trouble is Harris County - where I live...

http://www.beloblog.com/KHOU_Animal_Att ... l#comments

the poll - I voted inn this last week, and can't see the results from this computer for some reason...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/ ... d1909.html

At least so far the comments left look good, and when I last saw the poll results we were winning...
Last edited by 04100824 on December 10th, 2006, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confident Young Bully

Postby 04100824 » December 10th, 2006, 7:21 pm

OHHH! I just saw the results! We're winning about 65% to 32%! Keep it up!! :D
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 11th, 2006, 2:15 pm

voted!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby 04100824 » December 12th, 2006, 10:59 am

Thanks!!

There's been a lot of negative talk around town about pit bulls - I'm REALLY happy to see all the votes and "it's the owner's fault" comments.

What's making me REALLY mad is Walton and Johnson morning show on the radio - I used to LOVE them...they keep bringing up every negative news story they can, keep saying how horrible these dogs are -apparantly there ws a "pit bull" puppy who ate off a baby's toes? This morning they were talking about it and how this "proves that these are bad dogs from birth"

GRRRRRRR.

I've listened to them loyally for years, but I'm going to do my best to find another station now. Thankfully, I'm getting a new radio in my car for Christmas, so I'll have CDs and HD Radio. I'll try to find a new station, but it sucks - there are TONS of people who listen to them and they hang up on poeple who defend "pit bulls" or they just don't take the call.

:(

Of course, they pretty much just hang up on nayone who disagrees with them, so hopefully some people know better, but I've had people come over to my house wary of Reno just because they're die-hard WJ fans... Granted, they leave with Reno slobber all over them and love my dog, but it sucks that their crappy press is getting to some poeple like that.

Anyway...it's discouraging. :oops:

**edited to add**

It's most definately AWESOME that we're winning by such a large margin! YAY! THANK YOU for voting!
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 14th, 2006, 10:43 am

It looks like we are safe.............for now

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hea ... 98328.html

Pit bull panel won't request ban on breeds
County should seek authority to regulate dangerous dogs in general, task force says

By BILL MURPHY
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Top officials have debated whether the county should seek state authority to ban pit bulls since two dogs fatally mauled a 4-year-old boy last month.

But such a ban wouldn't have applied to at least one of the dogs — previously described by county animal-shelter officials as a "pit bull mix" — because the canine lacked many attributes of the breed, said the county's top veterinary official.

"Its hindquarters were too small," said Dawn Blackmar, a veterinarian and director of the county Veterinary Public Health Department. "Its muzzle was not characteristic of a pit bull."

Blackmar made her comments after running a closed meeting of a multijurisdictional pit bull task force Tuesday at City Hall.

Blackmar said Rita Obey, who is in charge of communications for the county Public Health & Environmental Services Department, made the decision to close the meeting. Obey said Dr. Herminia Palacio, head of the department, which oversees Veterinary Public Health, agreed.

She said the public might be confused if the panel discussed ideas in open meetings then omitted some from its final report, expected early next year.

Houston Chronicle reporters who tried to attend the meeting were asked to leave.

"It was our preference to release the information in a final recommendation, rather than a lot of " discussion, Obey said.

Assistant County Attorney Clarissa Bauer, who attended the meeting, said the Texas Open Meetings Act does not require the panel to meet in public because it makes recommendations but can't take any legislative action on its own.

Pedro Rios Jr., 4, was killed by two stray dogs Nov. 21 in unincorporated Harris County. Law enforcement officers shot and killed one of the dogs at the scene. The other was wounded and later destroyed.

The task force agreed that the county should not ask state lawmakers for authority to ban specific breeds such as pit bulls, which is prohibited by state law. Instead, the county should press for legislation that would allow it to regulate dangerous dogs, Blackmar said.

Blackmar said she saw the wounded dog at the county animal shelter before it was euthanized and concluded that it didn't have much pit bull in it, if any. She never examined the other dog and said she doesn't know whether it belonged to the breed, formally called American pit bull terrier.

Bans of specific breeds are difficult to enforce because officials must prove that animals belong to a banned breed when their owners may argue otherwise, Blackmar said.

The county and city likely would have to hire someone to hear appeals from owners.

"We would be building a bureaucracy," Blackmar said. "A task force member said we would be unduly punishing responsible owners of banned breeds and letting off the hook irresponsible owners of other breeds."

Some communities that have banned specific breeds are considering amending laws so that they target dangerous dogs but not breeds, she said.

According to Blackmar's account of the closed meeting, the task force discussed:

•What the city, county and private shelters are doing to address the problems of pit bulls and how the various departments could collaborate on their efforts.
•Creating a hot line that people could call to report organized dogfighting. Another hot line may be needed so people can report strays.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby 04100824 » December 14th, 2006, 7:38 pm

thank you for posting this! I hadn't seen it! That's wonderful!!
Confident Young Bully

Postby IamaDick » December 15th, 2006, 3:09 am

Blackmar said she saw the wounded dog at the county animal shelter before it was euthanized and concluded that it didn't have much pit bull in it, if any. She never examined the other dog and said she doesn't know whether it belonged to the breed, formally called American pit bull terrier

So this all started with a "Pit bull attack" yet neither dog was even a pit?? When is the media going to realize what they are doing, selfish pricks.

Bans of specific breeds are difficult to enforce because officials must prove that animals belong to a banned breed when their owners may argue otherwise, Blackmar said.

The county and city likely would have to hire someone to hear appeals from owners.

"We would be building a bureaucracy," Blackmar said. "A task force member said we would be unduly punishing responsible owners of banned breeds and letting off the hook irresponsible owners of other breeds."
Some communities that have banned specific breeds are considering amending laws so that they target dangerous dogs but not breeds, she said.

According to Blackmar's account of the closed meeting, the task force discussed:

•What the city, county and private shelters are doing to address the problems of pit bulls and how the various departments could collaborate on their efforts.
•Creating a hot line that people could call to report organized dogfighting. Another hot line may be needed so people can report strays.

Honestly, this right here absolutely makes me glad that i live here, i have been pleased with the entire process that the chronicle has reported. Even in the pit bull task force report it was saying how it would be hard to enforce and alienate, im really glad that they are telling it how it is and not trying to sway peoples minds against us. Hooray for the Chronicle, i might even have to get a subscription now. :D
WWAASSUUPP!!!
IamaDick
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL