Figure this one out

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » February 12th, 2006, 8:16 am

So I was outside shoveling since I have clients coming at 7:30 and the plow guy doesn't get here until 10 (ugh). So I'm shoveling and shoveling and one of the sensor lights goes off and I was like "blast!!" So I walked past it again to turn it on and it didn't go on. Then I saw that the front door light was off. I looked in the window to the manager's office and that light was off (even though I know I had it on). I was like "oooh black out, exciting." Then I walked around the other side of the house and the kitchen and livingroom lights were still on. What? So I went inside. The kitchen/livingroom/diningroom lights, my office, outside lights on the right side of the house, and two lights in the basement on opposite ends of the kennel work. The hallway, outside lights on the left side of the house, from entryway, and my bedroom are all out.

I went downstairs and looked at the fuse box and was confused as I'd never looked at a fuse box before :rolleyes2: But don't you need to be overloading something for a fuse to blow? And why would 1/2 of the house blow all at once? I only had some lights on and my computer, no tvs or other electronics, and not even all the lights were on. Are there two different lines coming from the street into my house and one is out? ARGH! This is when it sucks that I live alone. And no one's up at 7:13 on a Sunday morning to ask.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » February 12th, 2006, 9:13 am

It's possible that half the house could go out. It depends on how it's wired.

When you look at the fuses you can tell when they are blown. Just unscrew the bad one and put it a new one that is the same kind.

Unplug your electronics prior to replacing the fuse.

Good luck!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 12th, 2006, 9:15 am

Thanks. The fuse box I had in my old apartment was like the one you said, where you could actually see the fuses. This one has switches. But Hoyden helped me out. Yay! Now I'm just confused as to how one fuse labeled "basement" made half the house go out. But whatever.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Romanwild » February 12th, 2006, 9:16 am

So you mean they aren't fuses they're circuit breakers. Those are a lot easier.

How did Hoyden help?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 12th, 2006, 9:36 am

Romanwild wrote:So you mean they aren't fuses they're circuit breakers. Those are a lot easier.

How did Hoyden help?

Sure, circuit breakers. Why not? :| I know nothing about this stuff. This is my first house, I never had to deal with any of this before!!!

Hoyden was awake and told me how to fix it :) Lucky for me I'm not the only one working absurdly early on a Sunday.
SisMorphine

Return to Off-Topic