Clicker Training

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmypitties » December 6th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Well I finished reading the training magazine for bully breeds. I got some tips on clicker training but they were very i guess open and simple. anyone know of any good sites on training with the clicker. We have got the click treat part down... that was Ellies favorite part. But before I start adding commands and making her do things like sit I want to make sure I do it the correct way so I do not ruin her training experience as she is extremely sensitive due to her abusive past. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » December 7th, 2006, 8:00 am

OK how about this.... how do I know is she associates the click with a treat before I move on? Or is there a better way to train??
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 7th, 2006, 3:50 pm

On December 07 2006, 07:00, luvmypitties wrote:OK how about this.... how do I know is she associates the click with a treat before I move on? Or is there a better way to train??

Sit in a chair, click your clicker and give her a treat. Do this for 10 minutes. She'll pick it up pretty quickly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » December 7th, 2006, 11:09 pm

i have done this. but how do i know that she associates the cklick with a treat or how do i know when to move forward with the sit?
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 8th, 2006, 1:36 am

On December 07 2006, 22:09, luvmypitties wrote:i have done this. but how do i know that she associates the cklick with a treat?

leave her in the living room. Walk into the kitchen. click. If she runs to you looking for a treat then she knows that clicks mean treats are coming.

I think this is how to do it. When she sits on her own, click and treat. When she is offering the sit, say "sit" just before she sits down then click and treat. I'm not sure when you transition from marking her behaviors and marking them when she does them on command.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » December 9th, 2006, 1:50 am

Michelle, is there an easier way to train. She is hard because she is so food motivated and jumps up and everything to get the reat. We cant correct her by puching her down or anything because of being abused in the past. She gets very scared and with run from me. But comes back when I call her. She is a very nervous girl but I would like to have some sort of training on her because of her past and I would love to do some sort of work with her! She has come a long way but has a past she cant forget and it poses a challenge for me. I am looking for any help and advice I can get for her!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 9th, 2006, 12:41 pm

I had (and still have to a degree) a similar problem with Riggs. Lisa had me try this: Put the treat in your fist and hold it out with a little "hole" at your thumb. She'll only be able to get the food by licking, it teaches them to calm the heck down and the treat will come.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » December 9th, 2006, 11:52 pm

On December 09 2006, 11:41 AM, mnp13 wrote:Put the treat in your fist and hold it out with a little "hole" at your thumb. She'll only be able to get the food by licking, it teaches them to calm the heck down and the treat will come.

Greg and I do this with Sacha...she still bites us b/c she wants the food so bad (she acts as if she's starving to death, just wasting away)....this is also the method I use to teach puppies to take treats softly....(I never taught Sacha), I used the method with Nisha, and she takes things ever so gently...people are amazed...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » December 10th, 2006, 12:04 am

I will try and see how it does. I usually say easy and she takes the treat ok. Its just when I have the treat in my hand for too long she gets too excited and jumps up and everything. Doesn't sit. I am going to have a fun time training her. Thats why I was looking for the easiest way to go about doing this. She is a year old now and is confident enough with me to start on training. Just not sure on the best way for her.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior