Kind of a rant.

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby pibblegrl » February 11th, 2006, 1:18 pm

This has been driving me nuts.

Freedom of speech. When did having freedom of speech give people the right to be disrespectful arseholes to people because they 'can'.

Ok. Some Danish newspaper printed those pics of Mohammed, a big no-no for Muslims who believe that you just don't don't display pics of the prophet. The newspaper did this because they felt that they were exercixing their right to free speech by doing so...and completely disrespecting thousands (if not millions) of people in doing so.

Then we have the Muslims who are showing their displeasure by burning and bombing things. As if God is going to be happy about that. I can understand their anger, but torching everything?

I don't understand how some people think that having the right to free speech gives them a right to treat people like crap. Yes, newspapers have printed pics poking fun at the pope or Jesus or whoever, BUT it is not against any religious rule to do so....
According to Muslims it is simply not done to show pics of the prophet in any way.

My whole problem is that you see stuff like this everyday and it pisses me off to no end that some jerks think they can walk around crapping on everyone because they think they are allowed to. Even kids do it....no one teaches them to be respectful and they get this attitude like 'screw you, I'll do (say) what I want'.

Now with the cartoons you have a serious case of disrespect towards a whole bunch of people. WHY would a person do something like that? What a horrible way to exercise freedom of speech.

How appalling.

Sorry.
I have just been so disgusted watching the news and then seeing such large groups of offended Muslims torching things. This crap makes me want to scream. :rantSwitch:

Ok. I'm done.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » February 11th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Two wrongs, a right do not make. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » February 11th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Yea, when will people learn? :!:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 11th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Not everyone has the right to free speech and I think that is the problem. People who do not have it, do not understand or respect it. They have never had the freedom to express themselves so when someone does they see it as a personal insult instead of what it is, an expression of free speech.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » February 11th, 2006, 2:05 pm

We were just talking about this at work yesterday.

A cartoon was made that made fun of Islam. So what? there are uncounted cartoons that take nasty stabs at Christianity in general and Jesus in particular. Forget all the very rude cartoons about Catholics.

Have Christians or Catholics rioted in the streets? killed people? burned buildings? Bombed embassys? No.

It's PC to crap on Christianity, it's horribly offensive to the universe to even remotely poke fun at Islam. I'm really offended by the double standard.

(this is not directed at anyone in particular.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » February 11th, 2006, 2:09 pm

You're right.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » February 11th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Is something wrong simply because it offends some people?

There are in fact Christian sects that prohibit visual depictions of God, Christ, and the cross as idolatry. I don't see them having a sh!t fit every time they see what their religion prohibits.

Was it wrong to draw and publish the cartoon? I don't think so. Is it wrong to destroy property, injure, maim and kill people in protest of a cartoon? Absolutely.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Romanwild » February 11th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Seriously, to me this thread is what freedom of speech is all about. You can't shut up one group or not allow another opinion for any reason. That in itself undermines true freedom of speech. Restricting speech is the first step towards oppression. We have it right here in this country in the form of hate speech. You have to allow it all.

Now blowing things up is not a form of speech last time I checked. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Off-Topic