Proper Spring Pole Height?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Ultimatek9 » November 29th, 2006, 9:57 pm

We just finished Jaeger's spring pole set up. We have it adjusted so that he can reach the tug while standing with all four feet on the ground. I wanted to know when should I start adjusting the tug higher. He is 26 weeks old, and I am worried about him loosening a tooth or losing one.

At what age are their teeth completely set, and it's safe for them to "hang" from the tug?

What height should we adjust it to? I think I read that the tug is supposed to be high enough that they had to jump to get it, but their hind feet are supposed to touch the ground while they are on the tug.

Here are a couple pics of Jaeger with the spring pole.

Carla Ann
UWP UAGI Medwin Jaeger Von Deuce CGC TT TD SD HIC FD FDX FDCH FDCH-S FDCH-G WP3
UWP CH Lil Bit O' Hennessy CGC TT TD FD FDX FDCH WP3 TDA(3x)
CH 'PR' Diablo Bullys Patron On The Rocks CGC TT TD
Bullocks Mak'n U Green With Envy
Diablos My Time To Shine
Ultimatek9
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » November 29th, 2006, 11:27 pm

I would not play tug with him until he has stopped losing teeth and the replacements are in and not wiggly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » November 30th, 2006, 8:38 am

On November 29 2006, wrote:I would not play tug with him until he has stopped losing teeth and the replacements are in and not wiggly.

Exactly!

I read that the tug is supposed to be high enough that they had to jump to get it

But not for a pup!!!I would wait with that until he's 1 year old at least,until all paws should touch the ground.He can injure himself very fast if you let him jump at that early age(hips,tooth etc)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Romanwild » December 1st, 2006, 7:10 pm

Once he's mature and you can let him really go at it I love having a pulley system set up!

I can raise and lower it anytime even while they're playing.

Your bracing might end up being a little low once he's mature.
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior