Hangtime training

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Romanwild » October 23rd, 2006, 10:25 am

I have had a spring pole up for Dreyfus for a while now. I had to teach him how to play tug then springpole. He would get into it every now and then but I would have to really entice him. He would keep his rear legs on the ground and didn't really want to hang even though he has plenty of strength to do it.

Diamond came naturally to it so I have just been building her up to for longer periods of time.

This weekend I took Dreyfus out back and started using the flirt pole, which he loves, then he suddenly stopped and looked up at the spring pole and barked at me.

I lowered it down, it's on pulleys, and he grabbed it. He went about 20 minutes, much if it hanging! He finally took to it! He did better then Diamond!

He did it Saturday and Sunday and was a happy camper because it's been too cold to bike and to wet to do weight pull in the yard.

We've been working on the High jump too. We didn't compete in that at the Bull-ympics but we will next year.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » October 23rd, 2006, 1:32 pm

Pictures? Videos?
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Romanwild » October 23rd, 2006, 2:58 pm

I haven't taken any pics for a while. I was thinking about that this weekend. I'll have to borrow someones and up load them.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 23rd, 2006, 3:24 pm

oh, so you're planning on giving Riggs and Ruby a run for their money? Sounds good! Vega beat Ruby by .02% on Sunday, so we're working to get her jump higher, a lot of her problem is that she doesn't "see" the jump once it reaches a certian height. Now that I'm putting a bar up every 6 inches she's really getting some good air. I think every dog will do better next year with the extra bars on the jump. I'm going to place a perminant bar at 2 feet to keep the jump from separating farther up. She's jumping 3.5 feet consistantly and is slowing gaining on 4. With her conformation, I don't do it more than once a week. And no, we are not going to be measuring butts for the height.

:D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » November 24th, 2006, 12:00 pm

can someone explain to me what the flirt pole is and the spring pole.... i think I know what the spring pole is but I just want to have correct info.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » November 24th, 2006, 6:58 pm

How high was last year's high jump winner?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » November 25th, 2006, 1:59 pm

On November 24 2006, 17:58, SisMorphine wrote:How high was last year's high jump winner?

Ruby had the best jump of the weekend - 2.17 times her height.

http://www.bullympics.com/results.shtml
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » November 25th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Edited 'cause I suck.

Impressive Jump Miss Ruby!!

What sort of jump was it? I'm assuming it had to be cleared completely to qualify, or was it just if a pole was knocked over that they were disqualified?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmypitties » November 25th, 2006, 8:57 pm

can someone explain to me how this all works? I am looking to do that with my girl. She loves to jump and would be a good way to get rid of all that extra hyperness!!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » November 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm

All of the info on the Bull-ympics events are up on the website - http://www.bullympics.com

This year, we did a single bar that was raised in approximately 1 inch incriments. this caused trouble for the dogs once the jump got high, as they stopped "seeing" the jump. This year we will be using a "solid" jump to stop that from happening.

I'm not 100% sure how it will be set up, but like this year, the bar will come down if it is bumped. We are changing the rules a little from last year, so I can't give you all the details.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports