Dealing with children

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SpiritFngrz » November 22nd, 2006, 8:48 pm

Hey, it does sound like Gremlin would be fit for the job!

That said, our first Pit Bull Annabelle was terrified of kids. We didn't know this until a couple holiday run-ins with kids that set her off. On Thanksgiving she lunged at an older boy (maybe 10 years old) for no reason. Fortunately my husband was right there.
Then on Christmas my little cousin walked behind her and startled her, she went crazy barking at him. We had to remove her from the room. She was not socialized with kids as a pup, apparently. For this reason and her dominance aggression issue we rehomed her as we really needed a dog that was bomb-proof with kids. She was socialized well by a trainer before being re-homed and got a great home with teenage kids.
Fortunately, Satin is what we needed, even though she is a crazy lady, she is super gentle around kids. My mother-in-law's Yorkie dog on the other hand, is not going to come near my kids. I don't trust that dog. It's not good with adults, let alone kids! I could just see her nipping now.

While it doesn't sound like Riggs is going to ever be 100% fine with kids, it's good that you at least want to control it, and there was some great suggestions made here to work on it. Let us know how it goes!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Malli » November 23rd, 2006, 1:38 am

I have the answer!!!

Just let every kid he hangs out with give him people food :lol3:

just kidding, but I bet it would work!
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » November 23rd, 2006, 1:40 am

On November 23 2006, 12:38 AM, Malli wrote:I have the answer!!!

BACON!!!!

Seriously! Mike thinks that the Gremlin is a bacon dispensing machine.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » November 24th, 2006, 11:35 am

On November 23 2006, 00:38, Malli wrote:I have the answer!!!

It would definately work, but he doesn't have the best of manners with hands when he gets excited. (wow, this thread is making my poor dog out to be a basket case! :oops: ) It comes back full circle - I'm sure he'd be fine if I had him around kids more, but since I don't know any kids I can't get him used to them, so he can't be around them.

My neices will be here today and tomorrow, I'm going to have my middle neice work with him a little and see how it goes.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » November 24th, 2006, 11:36 am

On November 22 2006, 19:48, SpiritFngrz wrote:While it doesn't sound like Riggs is going to ever be 100% fine with kids, it's good that you at least want to control it, and there was some great suggestions made here to work on it. Let us know how it goes!

With some effort I think he will be fine, a weekend with the Gremlin will probably do the trick!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » November 24th, 2006, 1:31 pm

I think so too! Most of the time a dog's fear of kids is tied in with being afraid of being hurt, and Riggs is a bit lug (just like Oscar ;) )and seems like (reads like) a tough boy and with all his protection work training (with the horns and noise makers etc I would imagine) I think once he learns about the food he'll be good to go :thumbsup:

heck, even after the constant rewards stop, most very small children have at least a little food on their faces so he can get it that way :lol3:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » November 26th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Riggs was a million times better this weekend than I could ever have hoped for! Well, with the kids anyway. He was a holy terror in the house. lol

We only had one very short "episode" lasting about 3 seconds, then he was like "oh, I'm getting petted, this is cool." All three kids actually followed my directions to the letter, mostly because I told them that if they didn't then they would not be allowed to pet EITHER dog. the threat of not letting them tough Ruby was enough to make them be more obedient than I have ever seen them before.

We didn't do the food because there was far too much comotion in the house the entire weekend. 4 dogs, 5 kids, 4 (or more) adults... it was never quiet and calm in any part of the house!

I'm definately going to try it in the future though!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » November 27th, 2006, 2:48 am

:bounce: :clap:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SpiritFngrz » November 27th, 2006, 9:19 am

That's great!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Hoyden » November 27th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Good to hear.

Mark and I are talking about a trip up with the Gremlin to visit. He's just worried about me driving, so I am looking to see if there is a train up there or someone we know in-between you and me.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » November 27th, 2006, 1:23 pm

There is a train station in Rochester, so that would be workable.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior