Going nuts when its time to eat!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby bustersmama » November 21st, 2006, 12:12 pm

Hi everyone!

Every time its time to eat, my dogs go into a frenzy! ( I know, not completely abnormal) I mean, we have gone beyond a normal display to Buster crying like a child, barking his head off - etc. As I am sitting typing this, Bubba is at my feet doing the squeak and breathe routine. I have a bone for him, but he wont get it till he calms down (no squeaking and ears relaxed). This has been going on for at least 5 minutes + .

Punkin eats her food like its not only her last meal, but if she doesnt finish it in under 3 seconds it will disappear. I have tried a bigger dish, speading it out all over a clean floor, rock in the middle and giving her small servings - NOTHING works, she inhales it so fast each time - she has a hard time breathing.

My question is, what techniques could I use to make this process a little more relaxed and SLOWER!!! Its bad for their health and it drives me bonkers.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 21st, 2006, 12:36 pm

I have no idea, but I'm all ears to suggestions!

Riggs screams bloody murder when I feed Ruby before I feed him... and I have been feeding Ruby before I feed him for the past 9 months.

I tried waiting him out, but I've waited over a half hour before and I get bored standing in my kitchen holding his food dish. They eat in the evenings so I have to wait at least an hour after they eat to put them out. the later it gets the later I can go to bed.

He has stopped lunging out of his crate to get his food dish, but that's about all I have managed to get him to do.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » November 21st, 2006, 12:48 pm

Boy I'm all ears too. Ben, and Maddie eat fine, and within a reasonable pace. Sometimes Ben chokes, but that's normally because he is worried about playing, and I have to keep telling him to eat. :rolleyes2:
Tucker is the one I have problems with. (what's new) I make him sit, and wait until I say "eat", then he hauls butt like a mad man, and woofs it down in seconds. I add water, which has helped a tad, but he still eats like a crazy guy, and makes this whining sound while he's waiting. I've tried the cookie sheet, a brick, the water, and taking it away from him, then giving it back. :| Sometimes, I feel like I'm starving him. lol
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » November 21st, 2006, 1:05 pm

What's extra gross is Riggs "kill shakes" his food, sending blood and water all over the inside of his crate. Frequently he eats too fast so he vomits and then eats a second time.

I leave the room when he is eating because he is really disgusting.

He also doesn't clean up after himself so Ruby makes a bee line for his crate as soon as they are let out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » November 21st, 2006, 1:15 pm

On November 21 2006, mnp13 wrote:What's extra gross is Riggs "kill shakes" his food, sending blood and water all over the inside of his crate. Frequently he eats too fast so he vomits and then eats a second time.

I leave the room when he is eating because he is really disgusting.

He also doesn't clean up after himself so Ruby makes a bee line for his crate as soon as they are let out.

That is sooooo disgusting...thanks for the visual :o
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » November 21st, 2006, 1:15 pm

Yes Michelle, the visual alone is gross enough for me!
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » November 21st, 2006, 1:25 pm

No problem! :D

I'm assuming you have no interest in hearing about him with pork and beef then?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » November 21st, 2006, 5:51 pm

On November 21 2006, mnp13 wrote:No problem! :D

I'm assuming you have no interest in hearing about him with pork and beef then?

please....spare us LOL
I feel your pain tho....Solomon's crate looks like a freaking bloodbath on the nights he has beef...and I add water to it to bring it to room temp. so it can get particularly messy once he's finished. His mouth is also so floppy and juicy that I have to clean his mouth whenever he eats because guess what he likes to do right after he eats...yup rub his face on my pants or on the couch :x
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Pitcrew » November 22nd, 2006, 11:33 pm

Have you ever tried a 'Buster Cube'? I think they still make them. (the one I have is over 10 years old) :shock:

Its a plastic cube, shaped like a dice. Its a food puzzle. You put kibble in it. You adjust the opening so its easy to get out at first... so they get the hang of it... then gradually make it harder.
They roll it around the floor and it can take 10 minutes or more to get the food all out. Its also entertaining. For them and me.

There are similar products that are round. They work okay for some dogs but just having to roll it makes it too easy for some dogs. Not enough of a challenge.

You can also put meals inside a kong toy and then adding water so the food expands and doesnt fall out easily. If thats not hard enough, freeze it.

You might try feeding his meals only with these type of toys for a while (how long? :| ) to try to break his typical feeding pattern. Then just always incorporate requiring calm behavior, before you give it to him. When he is good about staying calm for his food toy, try changing back to the bowl.
I know several people who ALWAYS feed that way because their dogs really like it... prefer it to the bowl, even.
My dogs dont really eat that way (well, Libby just a little) but I give them the cube or Kongs occasionally, partially for my entertainment, partly for their enrichment.

If you feed raw... try freezing it. It slows them down and it shouldnt splatter.
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby luvmypitties » November 23rd, 2006, 9:24 pm

We soak our dogs food. they can still eat it up as fast as they want but it doesnt seem to make them sick it is were the regular dry food. It also makes them more. as for the behavior... try teaching a sit stay and then release to food... again hard to teach... I have worked with some pitbulls who do it and it works great!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby msvette2u » November 24th, 2006, 1:11 pm

We add water to Copper's food, enough so he has to lap it up as he eats. Libby yelps and jumps around until she's fed, and even afterwards sometimes, just from excitement. And with 6 of our own and 4 fosters right now, it's a madhouse.
I just figure, they kinda lay around and wait for their next meal so that's always the best part of the day :| (My dogs have it wayyy to easy!!)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » November 24th, 2006, 10:27 pm

I only have one dog, and has to be quiet to have her meal. She runs to the kitchen, ears up, whining, pacing... I tell her to calm down, if she won't then she'll eat later. Works for us...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Training & Behavior