Napolionic complex

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jradmax » November 12th, 2006, 2:41 pm

My dog is going on 8 years old now and he is still very hard to socialize with larger alpha male dogs-he does not want to be dominated and will "go off" on a larger dog that stands over him in a dominating way-I thought by now he might start mellowing out but he is still pretty testy-I was spoiled with my last dog who was very passive for a big headed scary looking dude-this guy is the runt of the litter and a smaller and more terrior type dog-I would appriciate any suggestions or opinions on what might be a way to socialize my little man in a nice way. Thanks-Jrad
30 + year pit dog owner
jradmax
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 12th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Dog aggression is inherent in this breed, so it may be that you'll have to accept that your little man doesn't want to be around certain types of other dogs. I would think especially by 8 years old they are pretty set in their ways!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » November 12th, 2006, 5:35 pm

At 8 years old I am afraid it would be pretty hard if not impossible to socialize him with dogs he doesn't already know or the type of dogs he will toloerate. The first year is the ideal time to socialze dogs as they are still learning how to communicate. There is sitll no guarantee that a properly socialized pit bull will not become dog aggressive as it ages. I would just accept him for how he is.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BigDogBuford » November 12th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Sounds like he's just being what he is. Enjoy him...if that's him in your avatar he's gorgeous!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby SisMorphine » November 14th, 2006, 10:45 am

Is it the uber pushy dominant dogs that piss him off, or actual alpha males? My Greyhound does NOT accept any other dog throwing their head over his shoulders or humping him. To me those behaviors are not behaviors of an alpha, they are the behaviors of a pushy wanna be. An actual dominant alpha dog rules quietly and calmly. My two never feel the need to mount or throw their heads over anyone's shoulders, or chest bump, or any of that. They walk into a room and simply by the way they hold themselves everyone knows who's boss.

My Greyhound (and probably my pit mix, but he'll never be given the opportunity) will "go off" on any dog who tries to do that. But his "going off" is correcting. I am fully confident that he isn't being aggressive, he's just teaching the other dog manners. Now I don't know your dog. He could be just correcting the other dog, like mine, or he could be getting ready to go. With pit bulls I would never give them the opportunity to correct like that because corrections (and play) can get heated and can turn into fighting very quickly.

My advice is just to keep him away from dogs who are pushy like that, it's the safest way to go with pit bulls IMHO.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Training & Behavior