just bought a prong collar...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Big_Ant » November 9th, 2006, 7:56 pm

On 11/09/2006 11:56 AM, katiek0417 wrote:...he's seen, one too many times, someone go to give their dog a "hard correction" and they pop out of the collar....within a week, that's what happened....

I think that only happens with the 'quick snap' version of the prong collar, or at least that's my experience. I've not seen a 'regular' prong snap before.

If the dog is pulling that hard, there is more to worrying about, IMO.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2006, 11:07 pm

On November 09 2006, 14:56, katiek0417 wrote:I use mediums (3.0 mm prongs) on both my dogs. I was using the small on my mal, but my boyfriend/trainer wanted her in the bigger one b/c the links and chain on the small are sometimes not as strong (not as thick)...he's seen, one too many times, someone go to give their dog a "hard correction" and they pop out of the collar....within a week, that's what happened....

The collar breaks or the links pop apart?

I'm not understanding how a hard correction would make the links come apart? My dog's collars are hard to get on as it is, I'm not sure who the collar would come off unless the links actually straightened out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » November 9th, 2006, 11:43 pm

links popped...I don't use quick release...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2006, 11:45 pm

huh...

how weird!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 9th, 2006, 11:54 pm

With the cheap prong I got at a pet store, Inara would be in the house playing or something, and all of a sudden the damned thing would just fall off. Thankfully it never did that on a walk. But that's why I now have a Sprenger.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2006, 4:41 am

On November 09 2006, 10:54 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:With the cheap prong I got at a pet store, Inara would be in the house playing or something, and all of a sudden the damned thing would just fall off. Thankfully it never did that on a walk. But that's why I now have a Sprenger.

Mine WAS a sprenger....I think part of the problem was that someone at one of my other training centers was trying to show some of the other people what the HS looked like (with the tab that says "open")...well, the person didn't see it, and started opening it in the middle of the collar...which will weaken the links...that's why HS makes the "open" tab....that's only a guess...but the links that popped were the ones that those people were opening it from...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DemoDick » November 12th, 2006, 12:52 am

Gatsu,
From what you have written I can gather that you haven't recived proper instruction in the selection, fit, and use of a prong. Please find a trainer that can teach you how to use this device before you go any further.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior