Reccomended TRAINING Books

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby JCleve86 » October 25th, 2006, 7:24 pm

So, as of late I've started to have a growing fascination for training. I bought "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller last night.

Anybody care to dissect and really analyze some of the various training books out there? Particularly in how they relate to pit bulls? Suggestions are welcome, of course, either for or against.

And, is there a book or guide perhaps specific to CGC training? I'd like to finally get off my arse and get those for my dogs. Should be a long haul for Molly since she HATES walking on scary surfaces, is dog aggro to some extent to most anything but big male dogs (and of course puppies), and both of the Boos are total over-excited wiggle bums when meeting people. BUT I figure if I can't get them to a CGC, I'm going to have a hard time getting your average bully to a CGC too, so I might as well start with what I've got.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm

The only dog training book I have is "The Idiots Guide to Dog Training" which is cute, but not all that useful for precision obedience. I also have a Stratton book, which I suppose could be considered a "training" book, but I'm not interested in that type of "performance" event.

In relation to the CGC, I have to be honest here... it is really just basic obedience. Yes, it is in an unfamiliar environment, but if you do some OB in a park (just a regular one) and maybe on a few walks. They just need to listen to you under some distraction.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby JCleve86 » October 25th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Distraction being the main issue. Them being air headed Boxers who get excited if the wind blows a certain direction, distractions are quite the hurdle. lol

I'd gather that training is kind of one of those things that you really learn better through experience, but I'd like to start with some basic understanding/knowledge before experimenting on my dogs. lol
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby babyreba » October 26th, 2006, 9:20 am

Jamie, I'm quite fond of Patricia McConnell's books, though they aren't really "how to" training guides. They're more behavior oriented, though they do contain some handy info on how to view some behavior problems . . . The Other End of the Leash is quite good.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Carla » November 6th, 2006, 1:34 am

Try "Building Blocks for Performance - Give Your Puppy a Head Start for Competition" by Bobbie Anderson.

The title is self-explanatory! All kinds of things to be doing with your puppy from 6 weeks to one year to motivate and create desire to work.

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby DemoDick » November 6th, 2006, 7:31 pm

"Training Dogs, A Manual" by Konrad Most.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby brooksybrooks1 » December 20th, 2006, 12:31 pm

leader of the pack, the intelligence of dogs, i like to read schutzhund books even if that's not what you're training for, there's some good advice, and i just read the monks of new skete book "how to raise a puppy" and i felt like they had some pretty good beginner advice on heeling, sitting, staying, training philosophy, etc.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » December 21st, 2006, 7:27 am

I love Leader of the Pack, also JellyBean vs. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde....not really training books, per se, but they have a lot of good info about how to be "in charge" and not let your dog take over
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kogeki » January 4th, 2007, 1:12 am

So Your Dog's Not Lassie: Tips for Training Difficult Dogs and Independent Breeds - Betty Fisher
arrest this man, he talks in maths, he buzzes like a fridge, he's like a detuned radio.
kogeki
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 4th, 2007, 8:03 am

Greg brought home a book for me to read - it's one of the first books he read on training dogs....it's really a book on training retrievers, but he said it's very good in describing the PROPER use of compulsion in training....let me get the name of it, and I'll post it....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior