Good Boy Riggs!

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » October 18th, 2006, 1:49 pm

I took Riggs to do bitework today, he hasn't has a bite since the DSO in July and he only had four or five two weeks before, and hadn't had any suit or sleeve work in about four months before that. Actually I don't think we ever used an arm sleeve with him but I'm not 100% positive.

We did sleeve work, and first we heeled around Demo with Riggs actually passing within inches of the sleeve and sitting under it as well. He made one snap at the sleeve, I told him no and that was it, not one single move towards it. Then we gave him a couple of bites, he outed on the second command (for the tug) and then put him up for a while.

We brought him back out again and he saw the sleeve right away, so he knew that a bite was coming... and did better obedience the second time. He didn't even snap at the sleeve once this time. He outed on two commands this time as well, but I'm ok with that as this point.

When I get my camera back I'll post some pictures!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » October 18th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Good for yall making progress, though I don't really understand what was going on, sounds like your excited about it.

I'm not sure why, but when I first read the thread title I thought it said "Good bye Riggs". :doh: :lol3:
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » October 18th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Many protection and Schutzhund dogs get so focused on the equipment that they basically refuse to to any obedience or even pay attention to their handler when they see any bite work equipement anywhere on the field. They just want the bite and only the bite. Working through this problem takes a lot of time and effort. Some can't even deal with being on the training field where they do bitework without acting like total dickheads. I've seen dogs corrected completely off their feet (usually by a back tie or a handler who doesn't budge when the dog takes off) because they can't control themselves and break the "line of departure" before they are told to or if the decoy even twitches. Some dogs are ok on the field until they have had one bite, then they decide that they are only there for bitework and the second time around they start the crap.

I didn't really expect him to be a jerk, but I was prepared for it, especially after he had had one bite. I worked him on a flat collar the entire time, with his leash so lose it was on his back and at one point drooping lower than his belly. He's finally not forging when we do circles to the left, which is something I need for his CD (in November hopefully!)

His obedience is getting better all the time.
Last edited by mnp13 on October 18th, 2006, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » October 18th, 2006, 2:39 pm

On October 18 2006, 14:26, Jenn wrote:I'm not sure why, but when I first read the thread title I thought it said "Good bye Riggs".

Oh trust me... there are days!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » October 18th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Riggs IS a good boy!! Sounds like he is ready to listen to you now!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 18th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Good job being more stubborn than he is, Michelle! You have to feel pleased with yourself! :rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pocketpit » October 18th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Good Boy Riggs!!! Way to go!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 18th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Here's the photo evidence!

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 19th, 2006, 12:48 am

If I'm not mistaken in that 4th picture down that is an AWESOME full bite he has on that sleve!!

good job Michelle and Riggs!

Oscar and I wish we had your determination and work ethic in your training...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » October 19th, 2006, 2:36 am

I was going to say the same thing! NICE bite!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » October 19th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Awwww . . . Riggs is just plain ol' precious :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » October 19th, 2006, 1:35 pm

On October 19 2006, 13:23, SisMorphine wrote:Awwww . . . Riggs is just plain ol' precious :)

Yeah, he's a good one. He really does try very very hard to be a good boy. He tests me EVERY DAY, just like Chris said he would. And (big surprise) Chris was 100% correct - Riggs is making me a better handler and trainer. I can't get impatient with him or he just gives me the finger and does what he wants to do anyway. I occasionally use a prong on him, but not often because even with very careful planning he is somewhat collar smart.

At some point, however, I would like him to be "easy"; is that ever going to happen? lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » October 19th, 2006, 1:38 pm

He's looks great, I love the last photo.
Jenn
undecided

Postby AmyCate » October 19th, 2006, 7:22 pm

He looks so happy to be doing what he's doing! Your pictures make it look easy. Riggs is a very cute boy - I bet it's tough sometimes to stay on track and not give in to whatever the heck he wants. :D
AmyCate
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 19th, 2006, 7:27 pm

On October 19 2006, 19:22, AmyCate wrote:He looks so happy to be doing what he's doing! Your pictures make it look easy. Riggs is a very cute boy - I bet it's tough sometimes to stay on track and not give in to whatever the heck he wants. :D

He's got these big brown eyes, goofy ears and his funny "sloppy" run is beyond cute. Must... resist... cute... dog... must... resist... cute... dog...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » October 19th, 2006, 7:56 pm

He IS cute....but you must resist!! I have to agree with the others here, that's one heck of a mouthfull in that 4th pic!
Purple
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » October 20th, 2006, 12:30 am

:D He looks so happy doing it, too!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » October 20th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Nice decoy work! :)

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby JCleve86 » October 21st, 2006, 3:20 am

Well personally, I love the last picture best. Riggs is looking at you like he's thinking "I did good mom, right? I did I did I did!!!!"
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 21st, 2006, 10:00 am

On October 21 2006, 03:20, JCleve86 wrote:Well personally, I love the last picture best. Riggs is looking at you like he's thinking "I did good mom, right? I did I did I did!!!!"

That's exactly it!!!

"I did good! I did good! Now... I'd like to bite the sleeve! I'm good! I'm good! I'm good! Aren't I cuuuuuuuuuuute?"
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Sports