Initial assessment

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » October 16th, 2006, 5:16 pm

We got this girl, she's in the Gallery, today, she's about 5mos. with clean new teeth that just emerged.
She acted protective of her yard which was OK but she'd only been there 3 days.
So we played some with her and she was really skittish of Jeff.
She did finally roll over on her back for me.
I don't know, she wasn't the waggy, "everyone is my friend" type girl I like to see. I like how she trusted us, or at least ME, within 5-10 min.
What should I be looking for to assess her? I'm not used to working with and adopting out older dogs with bully at all in them. I'm not even sure what breed she IS...ears seem terrier like however...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 16th, 2006, 6:09 pm

She did finally roll over on her back for me.

Why "finally"? Is there a reason that you are looking for that level of submission?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby babyreba » October 16th, 2006, 6:29 pm

is this the white dog with the short legs? she really didn't look at all bully to me, even in her body. she looked like terrier but not bulldog . . . so i wouldn't judge her according to a bulldog standard.

i would just assess her like you would any other dog . . . let her settle in and get comfy and as challenges arise, try to push her a little to see what kinds of responses you get and work on them from there.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » October 16th, 2006, 6:48 pm

OK Gotcha - Michelle, it was just, that she would roll over to be petted--she was over in the middle of the yard doing that so I called her over and she did it for me too. I didn't necessarily go into it with that in mind.
I liked it that she was wanting that level of affection already. By "finally" I mean she was doing it over there in the middle of the yard, then she came by me and did it and we played for a bit.
I was more uncomfortable with the fact she was so standoffish at first. I'd say guarding ("her" place) is more like it. She allowed us to leash her and put her in the crate with no problems. She does trust me more than Jeff.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » October 16th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Do you know anything about where she came from or any bad experiences she may have had?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Training & Behavior