Inside or Outside dog? Looking for some advice.. PLEASE!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Tahlia&Guage » October 14th, 2006, 9:41 am

Heylo! I'm only new here! My names Tahlia and I own a 8month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier by the name of Guage!.

Well..
In your opinion.. Whats better.. To have your dog Inside or Outside..?
Guage currently lives Outside.. He's outside all day, but, at night he sleeps in my room which is starting to become a small problem. and just because he's outside.. doesn't mean I don't give him any attention. I'm always out there playing with him! :)!

Do you think it would be better for him to be an inside dog.. If so, why?..
Some people seem to think it's `Wrong'/`Cruel' to keep a dog outside.. Whys this?
I'm defiantly not mistreating my baby boy. <3. but, some just love having theres inside! :P

I'd like to know what you all think..
If most of you think he should be an inside dog.. then, I'll talk to my mum about it.. I think she'll allow it if he's bathed every second day. and has no flea's and as long as he doesn't jump on the furniture! :}..

------

I have another thing to ask..
I prefer Guage sleeping in my room at night.. but, this is becoming a problem as I need to be able to sleep in there aswell!.
I LOVE sharing my bed with him but he doesn't like sharing! xD..

Whenever I turn the light off, he's fine.. but, when I go into bed, to sleep.. thats where the problem is. He'll jump straight up and run for the door and start jumping. But, when he's in there alone he LOVES sleping in there and wont make a fuss!

Why is he doing this? ..=/.. No one can seem to answer me..
I just don't get it.. and I don't want to have to make him sleep outside at night when I know he prefers it inside, in my room!

Thanks,
~Tahlia
Tahlia&Guage
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » October 14th, 2006, 11:03 am

Leaving any dog outside unattended is a problem. There's been members who've had their dogs killed, stolen and some of the dogs have run away, when left outside alone.
Pit bulls are a high theft dog and to leave one outside alone, day or night, is asking for problems.
eta: why is crating not an option for this dog? During the day while you work you can crate, and at night, and when you're home, let him outside to play.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2006, 11:34 am

I prefer to keep my dog inside. It just works better for me. Everyone has a different opinion on this but Joe pet owner who ties his dog out (out of sight, out of mind) and doesn't train or interact with the dog creates a lot of problems for himself. It's different if the dog gets training and time off the chain but many people with "outside dogs" don't do that.

Also, where I live it is very unsafe to keep your dog outside on a tie out...too may variables that could get the dog shot, poisoned, stolen, etc.

One last thing...it is completely unnecessary to bathe a dog every second day. If he's collecting dirt while on the tie out less time on the tie out solves the problem. Is he neutered?

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Tahlia&Guage » October 14th, 2006, 12:05 pm

msvette2u,
I know.. Thats why I'm checking on him every second he's outside.. {Trust me.. It's true.. I'm scared to death of losing him.} Guage is a Staffy, not a Pitbull.. Pitbulls are sadly banned here.. =/...

Through school, for 6hours he's left in my room.. and then I let him outside and then at night he's allowed to sleep in my room. Crating isn't a problem really.. I just hate knowing he'll be locked in it for 6hours straight.. and hardly being able to move around. So, I keep him in my room but I think I might need to crate him soon because I can't have him ripping up my ned bed..

Also.. I'm 15.. My mum, doesn't like him being inside because she thinks animals are dirty and belong outside. (Though, she adores him.) .. But, I'm working on this. I'm slowly convincing her into letting him stay inside and explaing why.

DemoDick,
o, gosh.. Thats one thing thats scares me.. Guage being poisoned.. ><..
Guage isn't on a chain.. I let him roam without one. I hate dogs being chained up.. and I thought that might help keep him clean? How often should I bath him then? and No, he's not neutered yet..
Tahlia&Guage
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » October 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm

1) have him neutered
2) baths only every few MONTHS.
3) the crate will help keep HIM safe and keep his "smell" in one spot and not all over.
4) 6 hours in a crate won't hurt him and will benefit him and you and your mom :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby DemoDick » October 14th, 2006, 3:20 pm

An unneutered dog left outside is going to roam, and probaby breed with a female eventually.

I bathe my dog as needed, usually once every other month. It's purely so that he doesn't smell doggy, which is my preference.

Six hours in a crate is no big deal (though plenty will argue otherwise). He will adapt and learn to enjoy his down time in the crate.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 14th, 2006, 5:23 pm

All of mine are inside dogs
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Please neuter him, the world doesn't need more dogs, especially from dogs that could easily be mistaken for Pit Bulls if bred with a larger short haired dog. Unneutered dogs are also more of a target for theft.

I'd guess that he's not comfortable in your room when you are with him because he's not used to it.

Please believe me when I tell you that 6 hours in a crate is nothing. Mine are in it for the 8 hours when I am at work, and one of my dogs sleeps in the crate as well. Riggs' sleeping crate is at least twice as lage as it needs to be for comfort. His ears don't touch the top when he is sitting and he can stretch out full length on his side. Most dogs sleep curled in a ball, but because he is in there for longer than 12 hours a day I feel better knowing he has more than enough room. If you are uncomfortable with crating him at night, just get an extra large crate for him. He would be fine in a smaller one, but you have to be mentally ok with it as well!!!

I bathe Ruby about once a year, though I think I skipped this summer. She really has no smell to her. Riggs gets a bath before his shows, and I plan to bath him before his obedience trials in November as well. I just like him looking as neat and clean as possible. I think it gives a better impression to the judges.

A good brushing when he comes inside will get any dust or dirt out of his coat. The short coats really don't need much more than that. But bathing him as often as every other day will dry out his coat and his skin, which will make him all flaky, instead of glossy and pretty.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tahlia&Guage » October 14th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Room Issue - But thats the thing.. He slept in my room for 3months straight without a problem. He only started jumping after the 3rd month. He's ust to my room. :{

Baths - ok.. I honestly thought dogs needed to be bathed every second day or atleast once a week.. I'll make sure not to bath him as often then, lol! Thanks!

Crates - I think a crate would be a great option.. =/.. Not to happy about the idea but if it's going to keep my baby boy safe.. I might aswell. After awhile I'll know it's not that great of a deal having him in there when I'm at school. :}. I just hope he wont tip his water over..

I'll have a look around, look at all the sizes and then decide. It can't be to huge because my rooms not that big and I don't think we'd be able to keep a crate in the lounge room. Where would be the best place to put the crate? and is there a thread which might give me tips on how to get him ust to it?..

Neutering - One big problem.. My stupid Brother and Dad want to breed him! ><.. No, I don't, they do! Thats whats stooping me from Neutering him! Since he was my brothers dog first I can't really do much about this unless I can convince him not to breed. I want Guage de-sexed because I know he'll be easier to handle? Less aggressive and people wont want to steal him as much and I don't think they'll wait two years to breed him, Isn't it wrong to breed them if there younger then two years?..

Also, they want the pups for the bloody money! (This pissed me off!) :evil: and I'm scared the pups will go to a bad home. If someone pays, $400 or more, would they somehow neglect the dog? because thats alot of money for a dog.. Is there any ways I can convince them not to breed Guage? Please help me with this! Any sites? anything at all? and how much does it normally cost? I need to try and get it done cheap.. Maybe at an animal shelter would be best?. I'll try my best with Neutering him..
Tahlia&Guage
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Wow, that stinks that your dad and brother are more interested in money than they are in the welfare of your dog and the puppies. I really don't want to assume too much, but if "you" (I knew it's not you personally) are breeding for money I doubt you're going to go through the extensive screening process responsible breeders do.

I have no idea how much a neuter in Austraila would cost.

Why don't you start a thread in the Training section about how to start crate training from scratch with a dog that is used to full freedom? If you get a varikennel, you can use it as a bedside table in your room.

There are many pages about the health benefits of neutering your dog. I'm sure a lot of people here have links that they have in their favorites. Theres a thread for you to start in the health section!

Yes, it's wrong to breed before 2 years. The dog won't be physically or mentally mature. You may also want to give your dad the list of information that is generally accepted as what any responsible breeder would do before breeding. The dog should have conformation titles, working titles, health tests, etc etc etc.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tahlia&Guage » October 14th, 2006, 9:12 pm

and your exactly right... There not going to bother to go through extensive screening process.. I would but I can''t really afford it and even if there was something wrong with him, they wouldn't care. They'd still go ahead and breed him! >:(.. To me, there acting like a BRB. Which pisses me off even more. and the female will just be a friends dog, someone who are doing the same thing my dad and brother are doing with Guage.

I will try my best to stop the breeding, I can swear on that.. and I'll make sure to keep you updated! Even if I give him the list.. He wont do any of it. I tried talking to him last night.. Didn't go to well.. <.<;. I know he loves Guage and wants a pup from him, maybe to keep the Bloodline? and my brother wants one but then there not thinking of the others.. My dad said, `Someone who will pay $400 + wont neglect a dog.. But, some do, don't they? or atleast in the future..

I'll posty a thread, for sure! I'll go to it now..
I'll post in the Trainign Section and the Health Section!

Thanks, ( and Thanks for not flaming me. I am trying to do the best I can. )
Tahlia
Tahlia&Guage
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Pure bred dogs with papers end up in shelters all the time. These dogs often had a price tag of well over $400. I know of an English Bulldog who was turned in - he was $1200. Irresponsible people don't care how much they paid when they decide that their "beloved pet" is too much trouble to keep.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Emi » October 15th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I keep Dottie inside , we live in a large city in the USA , and "Pit Bull" type dogs are easily stolen here.

She is spayed , which is great , she came to me that way , and if she hadn't of been she would of been. I believe it's best for her , for us, and the world of over population of dogs.

I have a crate for her , she goes in there when we leave or go some where, and sleeps in there some times to.

As far as bathing goes , she goes to the groomer once a month to get her nails done , as that I don't know how to do them , and don't want to hurt her , and threw the month if she get's smelling doggy to me , we give her a bath.
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby call2arms » October 15th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Hi! Where do you live in QSLD?

When I was in Australia, I've noticed much more people leave their dogs outside most of the time. But having a Staffie, and knowing that Pit Bulls are banned, I would not take any chances by leaving him unattended outside, because if anything happens, things go fast and the ban could extend to your breed, too.

Especially if he's intact, smell a bitch in heat and he's gone, believe me!

Your brother and father want to breed Guage. Talk to them about possible prostate cancer, testicular problems, marking... Neutered is better. Especially if your dog won't go trough any health teste prior to breeding, and had not been titled in anything. And around here we see many "rare and expensive" breeds in shelters - people put up money for a puppy, and whenever there's a problem (dog pulls on leash, destroys the house, pees everywhere, had skin/health problem that needs expensive vet care) they dump them. We had an English Bulldog that was dumped because of demodex, the dog was as sweet as they come, not fixed, but the owners didn't want it anymore. Once, he was a sweet purebred puppy sold for 500$.

Crate is much safer than outside, and once he learns that his crate is a nice and cozy place, he'll look for time to spend in there, and not on the couch! I bet your mom will warm up to him in the house very fast!

If he stays inside, how dirty is he supposed to get to need a bath every second day? If your mom is concerned, instead of bathing him I'm sure you can find those pet safe towelettes/wet wipes to keep the top of his coat "cleaner" but really dogs need their skin oil, they're not meant to be squeaky clean! For fleas, just talk to your vet about monthly preventatives, or I think some members have been successful giving some amount of garlic to their dogs to keep fleas away.

Good luck!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Pit Bull Talk