Need to add some weight

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jesseca » February 7th, 2006, 1:36 pm

I need to add some weight onto Summer. She's still scrawny and would like her to bulk up a bit. Is there anything that is good for an old girl that I can add to her kibble? I didn't know if raw egg would help or something like that. :|
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 7th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Jesseca wrote:I need to add some weight onto Summer. She's still scrawny and would like her to bulk up a bit. Is there anything that is good for an old girl that I can add to her kibble? I didn't know if raw egg would help or something like that. :|
is she sickly thin or do you just want to add weight to her??? Post some picts. Her weight may be fine for her structure not all APBTs are beefy looking LOL. Really they aren't supposed to be bulky at all. How old is she what is her height and weight proportion?

If she is really too thin... you can up her food or do Satin balls for a little while
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on February 7th, 2006, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 7th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Jesseca » February 7th, 2006, 6:10 pm

She's kind of ribby, does that make sense? I'll post some new pics of her either tonight or tomorrow. She's lost 12lbs, which bothers me since the last time she was at the vet, around 6 months ago. He said her muscle mass is still good, but she only weighs 43lbs. She has a tiny little waist. Anyway, I just wanted to put a few pounds back on her is all. She is around 8 or so.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » February 7th, 2006, 6:16 pm

One thing to keep in mind with the seniors, if the vet isn't concerned, being lean is actually much healthier on their joints and heart.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Jesseca » February 7th, 2006, 6:18 pm

satanscheerleader wrote:One thing to keep in mind with the seniors, if the vet isn't concerned, being lean is actually much healthier on their joints and heart.

Good point. Maybe I'm more worried about her then I should be
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby pLaurent » February 7th, 2006, 6:44 pm

For a dog that size, a 12lb loss is quite drastic and could indicate serious illness! Is she eating as she always has?

I really think you need to get a complete exam for her, including bloodwork if you haven't already.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jesseca » February 7th, 2006, 6:52 pm

pLaurent wrote:For a dog that size, a 12lb loss is quite drastic and could indicate serious illness! Is she eating as she always has?

I really think you need to get a complete exam for her, including bloodwork if you haven't already.

Yeah, I know but she went to the vet yesterday and he didn't seem real concerned because she still has good muscle mass. He did say to maybe add some canned food to her kibble for a bit, just to give her extra calories. She loves to eat so that's not a problem at all. :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 7th, 2006, 6:56 pm

You could also add some tripe to each meal, fattens them up a little bit, but if your vet didn't seem worried I'm sure it's not a huge issue :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby turtle » February 8th, 2006, 12:28 am

Humm, a 12 pound loss is quite a bit for a medium sized dog. Has she been checked for worms? How is her general health otherwise?

Adding some whole milk cottage cheese to her food can help add some weight. And maybe feed her a bit more of her regular food, too.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 8th, 2006, 10:31 am

Were there any other changes that she went through... loss of appitite, stress, that could have caused the weight loss

Yes, I agree it is better to keep a dog lean at any age especially with older dogs , but like others I feel 12 pounds is a lot to loose... that is unless she was obese prior to loosing that. I'd probably want to have bloodwork and a stool sample looked at if it were my dog.

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby satanscheerleader » February 8th, 2006, 11:23 pm

Any news on Summers health issues? We have someone looking for a senior girl here and unfortunatley Alice didn't work out for them. She didn't get along with their dog. :|
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Jesseca » February 9th, 2006, 12:00 am

We have her on a new med for her bladder issues and we are working on the weight thing. I don't feel comfortable adopting her out until I know everything is being taken care of.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health