convincing everyone to get along

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 12:13 am

i just rescued two pit puppies (sisters) @15 wks also have an 11 yr old female pit & another small terrier mix, puppies & older pit are just fine but the terrier doesnt like the puppies, any advice?
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 11th, 2006, 12:16 am

I split the topic so that both yours and the other can remain focused.

How does the terrier react to the puppies specifically?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » October 11th, 2006, 12:31 am

My Greyhound thinks your terrier is perfectly normal.

In what way is the terrier mix displaying that she doesn't like the puppies?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 12:33 am

i am still learning how to get @ in a forum
the terrier growls but does not bite & she is very needy!!
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 12:38 am

looking for experience from anyone that has raised two female pits from same litter. all of my research has turned up alot of negative & want to do right by the two pups both 15 wks old
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » October 11th, 2006, 11:31 am

I would say that the first thing you need to accept is that there is a possibility that they won't get along ever, this goes for the littermates as well.

I'm in Moreno Valley, which is about a skip away from Lake Elsinore, so if you ever need any help just let me know.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 12:06 pm

have been doing alot of research, this forum is awesome!! even though im still learning my way around! have a trainer coming on friday hope she has some good insight!! want the two pups to get along but know i might have big problems in future!!!
wondering if anyone has had positive results??
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » October 11th, 2006, 12:08 pm

There have been many with positive results, but each case is different, you won't be able to base yours on the case of someone else.

If you don't mind me asking, what Trainer are you having come by? What have they offered to do?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 12:14 pm

the trainer is from "bad dogs inc", have talked on the phone she has done alot of work with terriers, she is coming friday for a 2 hr evaluation, im sure it will be a real eye opener!!! oh yeah, they are based out of Corona, CA, (she has certs from CPDT, CDBC???)
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » October 11th, 2006, 12:40 pm

On 10/11/2006 8:14 AM, my girls wrote:the trainer is from "bad dogs inc", have talked on the phone she has done alot of work with terriers, she is coming friday for a 2 hr evaluation, im sure it will be a real eye opener!!! oh yeah, they are based out of Corona, CA, (she has certs from CPDT, CDBC???)

No offence intended to you or this "Trainer" with my following comments. I'm always asking questions and making statements like this.

You mention that she's done a lot of work with terriers, but when I looked on her website, I see 2 dogs that are of terrier decent. One APBT, and the other looked like a mix. The rest of the dogs were all Labradors and Goldens it looks like.

The "Dog House" section of her website seems to be her section for boasting, but I only see one dog that mentions anything that would remotely indicate the effectiveness of the Trainer, and that one dog had a CGC, which is pretty rudimentary.

I don't find anything on that website that is impressive in the least, or would make me recommend that Behaviorist/Trainer to anyone.

While an APBT is a "dog" just like a Lab/Golden is a "dog", Training/Evaluating an APBT vs. a Golden or Lab is not the same, and often times you will find yourself with misinformation from Behaviorists/Trainers who don't know what they are doing, but can't bring themselves to admit it to the person.

Let me know how things go, or if you need any help.

Is she charging you for this evaluation?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » October 11th, 2006, 12:50 pm

On October 11 2006, 11:06 AM, my girls wrote:have been doing alot of research, this forum is awesome!! even though im still learning my way around! have a trainer coming on friday hope she has some good insight!! want the two pups to get along but know i might have big problems in future!!!
wondering if anyone has had positive results??

Glad you like it!!! Good luck with the trainer, I hope she can help you!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby my girls » October 11th, 2006, 1:57 pm

thanks for the reply, so far it was just a phone conversation, i will let you know how it goes, definitely not recommending her yet. if you happen to have any leads on good trainers familiar with the breed please let me know. the pups are already terrors!!! (mostly in a good way)
my girls
Just Whelped

Postby Tonka » October 13th, 2006, 8:56 am

I hope everything works out for you and let us know how it goes.

[b]Big Ant[/]
You're so cool I'm a call you a culo!

Hey I wonder if anyone knows wht this means? I do. :wink: Funny as hell.
you got a problem....I don't care
Tonka
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » October 13th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I do too. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior