Biting help

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Ok..i think everyone knows my foster Kya..she is an AWESOME dog..approximately 10 years old but with the energy of a 1 year old(on crack) Training Kya has been a chore...she is strong and bull headed and not particularly bright lol I love her..but gotta be honest. We have made amazing headway recently through alot of hard hard work. But I have a major problem with Kya that I just cannot seem to break. Kya bites. Much in the way a mouthy puppy does. Things like..when you put Kya in her pen and close the gate...well..watch your fingers. Same with putting her in a crate. And every once in awhile, when you try to make her do something she doesnt want to she will bite. These are NOT human aggressive bites..its bull headed "screw you i dont like this and im a brat" behavior. She HAS gotten better.somewhat..but still I have not been able to stop it. Now, she has to sit when I approach her pen or im not touching teh gate..she has to sit and wait for her dinner..and if im getting ready to take her out of the yard she knows she has to come to me and sit and behave..im NOT going to wrestle with her to put a damn collar on her. I carry a spray bottle usually for putting her abck in the pen..and she doesnt charge the gate then. But if i dont have the spray bottle..she does. So the spray bottle hasnt done any training..it just stops her if i have it handy.

Any suggestions?
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Big_Ant » October 10th, 2006, 1:20 pm

I only make this suggestion because I know you have a good enough experience to handle it appropriately.

When you are working with her, and she goes to bite, grab her mouth, but not the normal grab your snout closed. Actually grab her jaw. With your thumb going inside her mouth.

What you will want to do is get your thumb under her tongue, and try and connect your thumb through the mouth with the fingers that are underneath the mouth. So you are grabbing the side of her jaw.

It's very irritating to a dog, she'll struggle, but in my experience, it has worked quicker than any bitter apple or anything like that.

Anytime she tries to mouth and it's not appropriate, grab it, and don't let her go for a couple seconds.

She'll get tired of that real quick and just decide that it's better that she keep her mouth shut.

DISCLAIMER! If you don't have breed experience and are new to the APBT, do not use this method, there are others!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 10th, 2006, 1:30 pm

well, she evidently respects that squirt bottle!

I looked at your pictures in the gallery, the first thing I would do is go down two sizes in the prong. I use a small on Riggs and just add extra links. That will help get her attention...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Yeah..I forgot to take links out yesterday.. :oops: but as you can see in the pics, the drag line was loose..she was being a good girl..walking is another matter. :shock: haha

thanks for the suggestions, Ant..keep em coming.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Big_Ant » October 10th, 2006, 1:43 pm

On 10/10/2006 9:41 AM, Violet wrote:Yeah..I forgot to take links out yesterday.. :oops: but as you can see in the pics, the drag line was loose..she was being a good girl..walking is another matter. :shock: haha

I don't think she means in terms of length. I think she was referring to the size of the prongs themselves. The comment about adding more links just means that since they are smaller the length might need to be extended.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 1:45 pm

ohh..I misread..I do have a smaler prong..wonder if I can find enough links to make it work..damn kids. :x
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 2:08 pm

In regards to your suggestion, Ant..I did, one time, manage to have her bite me when I could grab her quick..we were moving Kyas pen so she was loose in the yard with us and wanting attention..badgering us mercilessly..so at one point I gave her a shove to get out of my way..she turned around and nailed me right on the boob :shock: I was PISSED and I grabbed her by the face immediately and screamed "NO BITING" at her. Honestly..it was the first time I had had a chance to be in direct contact with her when she did it..usually there is a fence or door between us. You can see the look on her face when she is about to charge you..its rather a gleeful expression :oops: damn dog lol

For anyone who took note of the fact that Kya is a foster dog..don't worry..she is NOT going anywhere unless someone like SCL wants to adopt her. No way am I sending this dog anywhere without a seriously PROVEN bully savvy person being the reciever. This is NOT a dog for just anyone.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Big_Ant » October 10th, 2006, 2:27 pm

If she's biting when you close the kennel door, then that's enough direct contact to do it.

I personally have challenged many a dog, if they think they are going to be 'just out of reach', or the door 'just closed'. I'll open it, grab them and pull them back out. Weda learned this way for heel tripping.

The timeline is direct, so they know what the "punishment" is for.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 2:47 pm

makes sense..cool..thank you!
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby concreterose » October 10th, 2006, 8:04 pm

On Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:20 pm, Big_Ant wrote:I only make this suggestion because I know you have a good enough experience to handle it appropriately.

When you are working with her, and she goes to bite, grab her mouth, but not the normal grab your snout closed. Actually grab her jaw. With your thumb going inside her mouth.

What you will want to do is get your thumb under her tongue, and try and connect your thumb through the mouth with the fingers that are underneath the mouth. So you are grabbing the side of her jaw.

It's very irritating to a dog, she'll struggle, but in my experience, it has worked quicker than any bitter apple or anything like that.

Anytime she tries to mouth and it's not appropriate, grab it, and don't let her go for a couple seconds.

She'll get tired of that real quick and just decide that it's better that she keep her mouth shut.

DISCLAIMER! If you don't have breed experience and are new to the APBT, do not use this method, there are others!

- Anthony

This is what I did w/Solomon (he is VERY mouthy). He wont put his mouth on me now.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » October 10th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Thanx Vi! I wish I was looking adopt! She's right up my alley. Big and bratty! lol
Tank was REALLY mouthy when I got him. I sorta did the same thing I had to do with Gracie {if you can believe it she is barely three months and as dense and bratty! :shock: } The second they did it I yelled OUCH as loud as I could. Sorta the same idea as saying OUCH when a puppy bites you but I'm talkin' loud. :shock: I'm not sure what your neighbours would think though. :wink: It worked really well with both of them. They weren't phased at all, but it did register and they were just sorta like, "Oh. Sorry. Was that not permitted?" Meanwhile, I felt slightly more deaf. :shock:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Im sure my neighbors have heard more of my cussing than they want to :oops: so me yelling "OUCH" shouldnt bother them much :| It would fit in with my "NO BARKING" bellow.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » October 10th, 2006, 11:44 pm

LOL I've finally been able to tone it down a bit with Gracie. I had to start so REDICULOUSLY loud for a puppy but man, she's DENSE! lol I've been very slowly toning it down with her so by the time she goes, if she forgets her manners it will just take a normal OUCH from her adoptive home! :shock: I think that is one reason why the meet and greets have failed for her so far. It was me scaring the crap out of them with my "sample" of bite inhibition training. :shock: Gracie is just so unflappable it's no biggie to her. :|

Edited to add.....

Actually, no, now that I think of it, the reason the meet and greets are flops is probably the combination of me deafening them with my OUCH and Gracie insanely using their hands and everything else she can find as a chew toy. :| I have a feeling she's going to be here a looooooooooong time. :shock:
Last edited by satanscheerleader on October 10th, 2006, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Violet » October 10th, 2006, 11:49 pm

yeah..most people who meet Kya and really get a good grasp of how much of a dog she is..welll....I have gotten her out once or twice on leash to meet people and they generally just back away. Fortunately none of them have been potential adopters..just introdcing other rescue folk to her. The few people who have shown interest in Kya have had little kids and I wont allow her in a home with small children. Not unless it was someone like you who I KNEW could handle her. Shes sumthin else. :|
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » October 10th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Oh man..... TOTALLY sounds like Tank. LOL He scares the bejesus out of people on a good day just cause he's such a ginorous SPAZZ. He's not SO bad outside but a COMPLETE idiot in the house. All happy and friendly, but his joy could probably kill someone. :shock: One head but and it would be all over. The only thing that has made him managable with company is the squirt bottle. Totally deathly afraid of it. lol What a geek. lol
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior