My pit and my other dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Barkerbeau » October 10th, 2006, 6:55 am

My pit is only 4 months old. My 1 year old Mini Dachs female is the KING of the house. As of right now...the pit backs down until all the older dogs have eaten. Will this chain of command stick or should I worry about Layla trying to take over later when she's bigger? She is very closesly linked to true fighting dogs,,how does that affect her behavior. Right now she is a little sweetheart. Even my rat has her way with layla....

Thanx
Beau
Barkerbeau
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » October 10th, 2006, 7:58 am

from what I understand of multi dog households that include Pits, its better to avoid a situation alltogether then to take a chance.
Her heritage may or may not play into weather she will have dog aggression.

I think your safest bet is just to feed them seperately or at least supervise and put the puppy in her place if she tries to take your dachsy's food (you may want to simply seperate them as she grows older in the next few months). Many (almost all) of the multi Pit Bull houses on this board do not leave toys or food down period; they avoid the possibilty entirely of confrontation. She may not even be dog aggressive as she gets older but if your dachsy is being really nasty she may eventually become reactive (react to the dachsy's bad behavior) and retaliate, why chance it? :|

HTH

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

I would not feed them together - not even in eye contact. It's too much of a potential for a problem. And let's face it, Doxie's are little scrappers, but I'm not going to bet on her if they get into it.

I would also decide on a heirarchy in the house and stick to it, meaning YOU decide on the "pack order" (I think of any other way to say it) and you enforce it. Everything from food to play to personal attention follows the order you set up. This made my house much easier to run.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » October 10th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I seperate to feed, but I also always feed in a specific order: Wally first. If Wally ate earlier and I just made Mike his bowl (which often happens) I will throw a small bit of food into Wally's bowl and then go down and feed Mike. Though Mike can't see this happening, it is keeping Wally in the right pack order. I feed Wally and the puppy at the same time, but I always feed Wally first and I make sure that the puppy sees this so he won't get any big ideas in the little time he'll be fostered here. Feeding works wonders for pack order, and seperating works perfectly for preventing accidents.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Barkerbeau » October 10th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Thank you for the advise. The pack order is very much established with my dogs. I keep a constant eye on all my dogs....when I cant be in a position to see them...they are all caged seperatly (each dog has a 4x4 kennel. I do feed them seperatly already,,,but not really to prevent fighting...the dachs, the basset, and the pit all have different dog food.

I have definatly noticed dog aggression with strange dogs...but haven't even had a hint of trouble between my dogs. (fingers crossed).

I do have one major problem with the little pit puppy.....she is a cover hog....wife hates it...i think its funny

anyway...thanks for the advise.
Beau
Barkerbeau
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » October 10th, 2006, 5:44 pm

On October 10 2006, 5:34 PM, Barkerbeau wrote:
I do have one major problem with the little pit puppy.....she is a cover hog....wife hates it...i think its funny

anyway...thanks for the advise.
Beau

My Greyhound is a cover hog too. Damn dogs need to learn how to share with us at least!! :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Worknk9s » October 12th, 2006, 8:51 am

All dogs get feed at the same time here.

I place their bowls in their own inclosed kennels and after their done I let them out again.

I also do this with treats such as raw hide twisties etc.

All dogs as (well as children) think the other dog has better food !
So to prevent any fighting over food each is seperate.

Pack order has been established instently cause none of my dogs are close in age ! aprox 3yrs apart ..........so that was a givin. thankgoodness

now the new diva ? :o i might have to work on a bit :D
Worknk9s
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » October 13th, 2006, 7:41 pm

I do feed them seperatly already,,,but not really to prevent fighting...the dachs, the basset, and the pit all have different dog food.

Just to clarify...when you say you are "feeding them separately" what do you mean? Different bowls but in the same room, physically separated by crates, etc...?

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Training & Behavior