eye boogers

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2006, 10:33 pm

As you've probably noticed, Riggs is white. When I got him he had major red eye booger stains. They pretty much disappeared when I changed his food, they are 99% gone on the raw.

In the morning he has little tiny boogers but that's it.

They seem to appear when he exercises, sometimes they are clear, other times reddish.

I don't think he's sick or anything, but does anyone else notice this with their dogs?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 30th, 2006, 3:51 am

Oscar's are brown(I think) or clear, he also gets his in the morning. I didn't notice a pattern any other time...

Red is weird.... :|
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » September 30th, 2006, 10:01 am

Normally the crew's are brownish to sometimes black. Normally the black comes from play time. I've always thought the dirt, dust, and everything else that was stirred up during play time was the cause for the dark black, especially on Ben. Unless he has an odor, or they seem to bother him, or be excessive I wouldn't think there is anything to worry about. Do yall have red dirt? :|
I agree red is weird. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 30th, 2006, 10:17 am

Ralphie had SUPER BAD eye boogers, and when his new owner took him in for a vet check-up he said his eyelids were slightly turned, and that was what was causing it. :| We had figured it was allergies...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pocketpit » October 1st, 2006, 3:16 pm

Unless they turn greenish they are usually nothing to worry about. The Dobermans have deepers set eyes and they always get white/light brown boogers in the corner of their eyes. With as much dirt as they kick up playing I figured a good deal of it is from that. When they don't play as much the boogers are smaller or don't occur.
Crash gets red tear stains on the whiter side of his face. His eyes are rounder and bulge a little. Those kind of dogs always seem to have drainage. He too constantly has his face in the dirt :)
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullforever » October 3rd, 2006, 9:26 pm

its not a big deal at all unless they are yellow or green your fine :)
pitbullforever
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Vin » October 6th, 2006, 9:18 am

There is a holistic product called the Halo eye wash that will help sooth occular irritation and treat infections. It is made by Anitra's.

Chronic eye boogies are something that might seem benign but can sometimes be atttributed to entropion or ectropion conjuctivitis, or any number of eye conditions. Depending on severity, any condition left untreated can lead to a host of other eye problems including blindness. These conditions are often caused by pure genetics ie. eye deformities and dogs with this genetic disposition should probably not be bred. Sometimes they are caused by severe trauma, as in the case of one of my dogs. Either way, en- or ectropion can be mildly uncomfortable condition at best and should be addressed.

Hope this helps.
Vin
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 6th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Oh, it's not a problem, I was just curious is all.

When I got him, he has the red streaks on his face that are very common with white dogs. They went away when I changed his food. Now they are only red occasionally, but most of the time they are clear.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » October 6th, 2006, 2:57 pm

The rats get red discharge from their noses and eyes when they're sick. It looks like blood and it's terrifying if you don't know what it is!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby bouvierz » October 6th, 2006, 9:13 pm

If you look in this picture you can see spanky has a red mark from his eye discharge also. I have heard that adding apple vinegar to thier food helps but i havent been consistant about it. Tearsand salivia make spankys white marking turn red, it is very common with white dogs :D
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health