AKCs deal with Petland? **UPDATED**

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby Pitcrew » September 27th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I know a lot of you guys are UKC people... but have any of you heard about AKCs deal with Petland?

Here is a petition to sign if you want.

http://www.petitiononline.com/akcptlnd/

Sorry I don't have more detailed info on it, I accidentally deleted it.
I will have to look up details later. Anyone else heard about it?

I have had quit a few AKC dogs over the years (not that it matters) and competed in a lot of AKC events... regardless... I have never been a big fan of the AKC.
I finally got Jamie's papers. I have not registered him yet. I am SERIOUSLY considering NOT! I need to talk to his breeder.

I am also considering not competing in any AKC sports... even though Vega is already competing in excellent in agility, after only 5 weekends. I was going to compete in obedience and rally-o too. Maybe carting if Amstafs are allowed.
But I feel pretty strongly about such a prominent registry is actually going to back, and support, pet stores... and therefore puppy mills!
What a slap in the face to responsible breeders! Health check, and sell to responsible homes, spay/neuter contracts... all the money they invest in responsibly breeding, titling, health screening, temperament testing, and loving their dogs. Now, because their registries are down, they are going to support puppy mills for their registry numbers?
Don't show and event entries cost enough? I know the obedience entries are down, but rally-o should be making up for that. And the agility trials and entries grow and multiply every year!
I wouldn't blame breeders for changing to other registries. I would compete in more UKC stuff if there were more... or they were closer.

What do you guys think?

Anyone herd about it or have more details about this deal?
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2006, 11:03 pm

The AKC's spin on the topic:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate and understand the
concerns of our breeders and dog owners. We hope the information provided below is helpful.

At the September meeting of the AKC Delegates, the AKC announced a program in which Petland may facilitate the individual AKC registration process for eligible dogs sold in their stores. Today, many of these AKC-registrable dogs are registered with other registries or not at all. Several questions emerged following that announcement. We provide the following details to reduce misunderstandings about the program.

What kind of agreement does the AKC have with Petland?

Following are some of the basic facts about this plan:

* Only AKC-registrable dogs are eligible for this program. The program does not provide registration to dogs not otherwise eligible for registration. We are doing this in large part to assure that AKC-registrable puppies already in these stores are registered with AKC.

* AKC will educate Petland staff about the value and importance
of AKC registration. AKC will highlight the opportunity for participation in appropriate AKC events and the importance of programs like AKC Canine Good Citizen to promote responsible dog ownership.

* Petland will encourage new puppy owners to register with the AKC. Petland will help the customer complete the AKC registration form online, similar to the current online registration process. The customer will pay the entire AKC registration fee in the store. Petland may charge the customer a small processing fee to cover their cost. Registering in the store increases the likelihood that the puppy owner will register their new puppy with the AKC. Research has shown that if dog owners don't register their dog soon after acquiring it, they are less likely to do so in the future.

* This program allows the AKC inspections team to continue its active presence in the commercial sector. If puppies sold in retail pet stores are not AKC registrable, AKC loses the ability to inspect and influence the care and conditions in pet stores and the breeding kennels that supply the pet stores.

* AKC and Petland are not engaged in an endorsement, partnership, affiliation or joint venture. A written agreement between AKC and Petland exists, in large part, to protect the AKC and ensure that all applicable AKC Registration Rules and Procedures are followed.

* AKC does not endorse any breeder or seller of dogs. Our central message about how to buy a puppy -- to thoroughly research the breed and the breeder and to consult AKC resources, starting with the parent club -- has not and will not change.

* This program has not changed AKC's registration policies. The AKC has always registered dogs sold through pet retailers as long as the pet store and breeder are in compliance with our standards for accurate record keeping and meet the AKC's care and conditions requirements. Read our Compliance fact sheet at:
http://www.akc.org/press_center/facts_stats.cfm?page=6

The program with Petland offers AKC an opportunity to communicate
the benefits of registration and involve new puppy owners in the
world of AKC but does not imply an endorsement any more than AKC
papers have in the past. It will ensure that AKC inspectors and investigators continue to have access to all kennels breeding AKC puppies. This will continue enforcement of our care and conditions policies and compliance with record-keeping.

Why is AKC encouraging the registration of all registrable dogs?

* Today, many AKC-registrable dogs sold by pet retailers are not registered with the AKC by their owner. Less than 50 percent of AKC-registrable dogs are registered with the AKC. The AKC strategic plan targets this problem in all customer groups, including pet stores. When these new owners do not register, AKC and our clubs lose the ability to encourage them to become part of the fancy or to educate them about responsible dog ownership. We feel we can best promote our values and bring people into the world of AKC events by reaching out to new dog owners no matter where they choose to purchase their dog.

* AKC's ability to influence legislation and public opinion is directly linked to the number of dog owners we represent. Ultimately, AKC's ability to take a leadership stand on any issue is closely tied to the size of our constituency (the number of people with AKC registered dogs).

* AKC can best serve the interests of dogs and their owners by maintaining stringent standards and promoting the benefits of AKC registration. With more than 20 different for-profit businesses acting as canine "registries" in the U.S., it is important that the AKC distinguish itself as the genuine purebred registry. Many of these for-profit businesses will "register" dogs with little or no proof of lineage and none have any inspections or compliance standards. These businesses actively and aggressively work to convert AKC registrations into applications for their listing services. The fact that AKC can inspect kennels and pet shops and take action against them whenever necessary protects the welfare of all AKC puppies.

* AKC's ability to offer important programs is directly linked to our annual registrations. In addition to subsidizing AKC events, registration fees provide support for a range of programs and services including the AKC Canine Health Foundation and the AKC Museum of the Dog. Registration income also provides an important source of funding for our scholarship programs, veterinary outreach, our compliance department, combating unfair canine legislation, providing disaster relief and much more.

What else is being done to promote AKC Registration?

We are less than a year into a five year strategic plan that has already
introduced a suite of benefits and resources for the fancy including a breeder newsletter, full litter registration option, litter coupons, online accounts and enhancements to online dog registration. In addition, AKC has introduced new registration benefits like dog.com e-certificates for both breeders and individual registrants and complimentary first office visits at participating veterinarians. As we continue implementing the plan, additional programs for breeders and new dog owners will be introduced. We have made a significant investment in a diversified advertising campaign that communicates our mission and promotes the value of AKC registration and the integrity of our Registry. Our message emboded in our advertising tagline "We're more than champion dogs. We're the dog's champion" has reached almost 200 million people in print and broadcast media during the past year.

How will this impact rescue?

Dogs will be sold in pet stores whether or not AKC registers them. However the AKC feels that by bringing more registrants into the AKC fold we have the opportunity to educate them and involve them in programs that promote responsible dog ownership.

What prompted this agreement?

The AKC has undertaken a strategic plan to reverse the significant decline in registrations that has occurred during the last decade. The plan includes a number of separate initiatives. Together these initiatives are designed to regain market share, while maintaining a registry of unequaled integrity and size. The approach outlined in the plan is to increase registrations by addressing the needs of all customer groups - fanciers, breeders, pet owners and the commercial channel. This focus stems from a belief that purebred dogs are best served by the AKC, and that breeding programs are improved with our involvement. This inclusive approach helps position AKC as the voice for all dogs and all dog owners.

What are the next steps?

As a result of the questions raised both during and after the September Delegates Meeting the Staff will continue reviewing and communicating with our core constituency. A meeting will be held prior to the October Board Meeting which will include a number of Delegates and fanciers to discuss this initiative. The AKC Board of Directors will discuss this topic during the October Board Meeting. The program is under review by staff and management. Further details will be provided when they are available.

You may direct comments to:
· Email: puppyreg@akc.org <mailto:puppyreg@akc.org
· Mail: AKC Operations, 5580 Centerview Drive, Raleigh, NC
27606-3390
Thank you,
David Roberts
Assistant Vice President
Registration and Customer Service
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2006, 11:06 pm

A more realistic version of the deal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

AKC Endorsing Petland and Supporting Notorious Puppy Mill Hunte Corporation
by joy in Dog News

Please cross-post!

Talk about the foxes BUYING the henhouse! Tha’s exactly what it looks like the largest seller of puppy mill puppies and the largest breeder of puppy mill puppies in the US have done! Under the guise of “savingâ€
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 28th, 2006, 2:09 pm

:puke:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » September 29th, 2006, 12:34 am

I hate Petland with a passion. We've seen more dogs with distemper & parvo coming out of there than healthy dogs. We also euthed a 17 week old white Schnauzer already showing some serious HA issues. The pup had already broken skin on 3 people (1 child) & got downright vicious when corrected. I wish they would close that place.

I went in there one day & started talking to a lady who was looking at a $4.000 Bullmastiff (about 5 months old & crammed into a cage so small he couldn't stand but had to do some sort of crawl/shuffle) about how all of their dogs came out sick & diseased & with some serious temperament problems. She left but I was thrown out. :D
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 29th, 2006, 8:20 am

Mia, that's great! I'm going to make it my goal to get tossed out of a nasty pet store due to educating customers. That's fabulous...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » September 29th, 2006, 1:25 pm

On Thursday, 28 September 2006, 11:34 PM, Miakoda wrote: We also euthed a 17 week old white Schnauzer already showing some serious HA issues. The pup had already broken skin on 3 people (1 child) & got downright vicious when corrected. I wish they would close that place.

Tucker acted like that too, I'm glad I gave him a chance, and a little guidance. :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Pitcrew » September 29th, 2006, 7:54 pm

The AKC just dropped the deal with Petland. Okay they arent QUITE as stupid as I thought... bit what were they THINKING?

I'm glad I signed the petition... with a nice (insulting) note attatched. Apparently so did ALOT of other people. I dont normally think that kind of stuff works. I just had to speak my mind.

Still havent decided whether or not to drop my involvement w/ AKC.
Registering, events, etc.
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Posting email for Lisa

Received this information today:

At the September Delegates Meeting AKC reported that we had reached an agreement with Petland in order to facilitate the registration of dogs that are already AKC registerable.

AKC's Board of Directors and management believed that this agreement would have helped to further the mission of the AKC. Promoting responsible dog ownership to new puppy owners, implementing our care and conditions policies, and exposing more dog owners to AKC educational programs and services would have had even greater reach.

In the past few weeks we have received many comments about this agreement, both positive and negative. We have listened to the concerns and because this issue has become so divisive, we believe it is in the best interest of our sport and the American Kennel Club not to go forward with this initiative.

Ron Menaker, Chairman of the Board
Dennis B. Sprung, President and CEO

In other words: people FLIPPED OUT and the AKC realized that they are stupid ;)

WE WIN!!!!!!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » October 5th, 2006, 8:58 pm

You could fill an ocean with all the BS they spew! Thank goodness they didn't go through with it!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmypitties » December 12th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Sorry I am bringing up the past...lol.

I do public speaking about puppymills over here. I won second in state for a public speaking competition with my speech about it. So what was the thing with AKC and Petland and how were they going to join forces? I am glad they arent anymore because that would put more low/no quality dogs out there. I am working to close petstores down around here. I have been thrown out of one in Ohio. Makes me sick!!! Grrr.... I guess this was more sharing then anything...lol Sorry I am a bit :off:
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Conformation