Prong Question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » September 28th, 2006, 4:27 pm

On September 25 2006, 10:40 PM, mnp13 wrote:
On September 25 2006, 22:08, pitbullmamaliz wrote: Now I just want her to start looking up at me constantly like the really well-trained dogs do! I shouldn't get demanding though, as this is already such a drastic change.

Baby steps!!!!!!!!!

Normally, you teach the attention heel from the start. However, I think the following method will work for you. It is exactly what I am doing with Ruby, Riggs was different.

The "attention heel" is a step past the "heel". If you really want to start that, wait until she is reliable at the heel. At the same time (and separately) teach her the "watch" command. Now, tell her to watch while she is heeling.

You could also just use 2 separate commands. I use "foos" for walk with me and "fulligan" for attention heel. I taught the "foos" just by giving corrections...i taught fulligan using positive methods (with some corrections). For example, I chose something my dogs really liked (I used food, but tugs, or toys will work, too). First, I held the food down, so the dog had to "drive" the hand for the food....but I had my hand slightly in front and slightly above the dogs line of sight, so the dog had to have it's head up to get the food. Once the dog is reliably doing that, I was able to have my hand higher and higher (in baby steps)...I praised and gave food every couple of seconds. At the same time I taught my dogs how to catch food. Eventually, it got to the point where I could have my hand at my chin (or just have food in my mouth) and drop the food every few steps....it's easier to spit food b/c then the dog isn't always looking for your hand...it learns to look up b/c the food is coming from your mouth...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Romanwild » September 28th, 2006, 8:37 pm

I received a copy of a video that teaches you to walk your dog on a loose leash in less than 10 minutes. Shockingly enough, it's not full of BS. I watched it, and then went out and bought Inara a properly-fitting prong

I was replying to the original post.

Although if I ever teach a heel I will use the bonker AFTER they know what it is and how to do it. I agree.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Though I definately think a bonker works for manners, I don't see it as a tool that will easily adapt to precision obedience.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior