My vet...about raw

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ellie@ny » September 25th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Ok so I had to leave Maya at the vet today afternoon for getting some x-rays done.
Last Friday I was there also they did a blood test on her,and the results came in today.So everythings fine except her bloodsugar is a little bit low.
I told the vet that she's on raw now since like 2 months ago,and I'm very happy with the results etc.
She said I have to give her carbohydrates to keep her sugar level in normal...and just giving her raw,that can cause kidney problems later..
Do you guys give your dog carbs such a brown rice etc?
And what's your opinion on this? :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 25th, 2006, 2:45 pm

kidney problems from too much protein... blah blah blah blah

ask her for studies done on healthy dogs to prove it. if your dog has enough water available it will be fine.

I give mine veggies about once a week. They're fine.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » September 25th, 2006, 2:50 pm

:? That makes no sense. Dogs are carnivores. They do not need carbs.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » September 25th, 2006, 2:51 pm

I know...
I tried veggie mix but she just gave me a face that I can eat hers....
But again why dogs should eat grains? :|
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » September 25th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Btw... my dog Maggie has been on raw for years. Her bloodwork is 100% normal.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 25th, 2006, 2:56 pm

On September 25 2006, 14:51, ellie@ny wrote:I know...
I tried veggie mix but she just gave me a face that I can eat hers....
But again why dogs should eat grains? :|

They shouldn't eat grains. Veggies aren't bad though.

I put the veggies in a blender and chop the heck out of them then add water and feed them. If they don't want to eat it they don't have to. After 20 minutes pick it up and then try the next day. They'll get the point.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 25th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Justice will eat veggies with no problem but I have to hide them for the others. I don't feed them all that often but when I do I puree them with yogurt or liver & eggs to make it more edible for them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » September 25th, 2006, 3:14 pm

I tried that with them(the puree veggies),Maya ate it for two days,Nico never touched it.
I guess I have to mix some yoghurt in it!
I still feel better about giving them veggies then grains.
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 25th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Grains are useless. Just remember, the nutrition courses that most vet schools offer are A)Optional and/or B)Sponsored by the Hill's Company. So unfortunately (and scarily), vets know very little about nutrition.

I give mine a veggie mash, but I make sure to mix it in fully with ground meat and pumpkin to hide the taste.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » September 26th, 2006, 11:41 am

I had thought grains were just fillers.

I think Armellino's Turkey Delight has a veggie mix. The guy that put my fenced dog run up told me it is his product and sells it through Armellino's. Not sure if there is anything in it that may be different. But just a thought.

How is Maya doing? Who are you using for a vet? I was going all the way to Huntington until my vets office pissed me off. Long story.....
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » September 26th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Well I gave them yesterday night veggies with yoghurt and they loved it!

Mary Ann she's doing ok,I just got her health tests done(Hips+elbows).And because she was already under anesthesia,I got to x-rayed her broken tooth too.
Well that doesn't look too good...We'll see what the radiologist will say about that.. :|
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Knomad » September 27th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Id have thought they get enough carbs from the fat on the meat assuming you dont deskin chicken or trim the meat.

I certainly dont, I thought it best to have some fat in the diet for this reason. Although I have to admit im still mix feeding just now myself until im more comfortable with it. Probably when they are adults ill go solid raw.
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 28th, 2006, 12:14 am

On September 27 2006, 8:04 PM, Knomad wrote:Id have thought they get enough carbs from the fat on the meat assuming you dont deskin chicken or trim the meat.

I certainly dont, I thought it best to have some fat in the diet for this reason. Although I have to admit im still mix feeding just now myself until im more comfortable with it. Probably when they are adults ill go solid raw.

You are correct, dogs NEED fat in their diets just as human do to promote good cells, skin and hair. Besides, fat helps things go smoothly if you know what I mean. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » September 28th, 2006, 7:48 am

Actually I never cut off anything from the meat,I belive too that they need some fat too!
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » September 28th, 2006, 8:18 am

On September 27 2006, Knomad wrote:Id have thought they get enough carbs from the fat on the meat assuming you dont deskin chicken or trim the meat.

Just to clarify, fats and carbs are not the same things...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Knomad » September 28th, 2006, 8:56 am

Sure but if I recall correctly fat does breakdown and provide carbs from the monosaturated group of fats. Not a huge amount but then dogs naturally dont need high carb diets since in nature they wouldnt have one.

My Bio is a bit rusty :D
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Neimo » September 28th, 2006, 12:30 pm

On Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm, ellie@ny wrote:Ok so I had to leave Maya at the vet today afternoon for getting some x-rays done.
Last Friday I was there also they did a blood test on her,and the results came in today.So everythings fine except her bloodsugar is a little bit low.
I told the vet that she's on raw now since like 2 months ago,and I'm very happy with the results etc.
She said I have to give her carbohydrates to keep her sugar level in normal...and just giving her raw,that can cause kidney problems later..
Do you guys give your dog carbs such a brown rice etc?
And what's your opinion on this? :|

Hmm, my vet said to give a little flax seed for fiber which I do. But never about sugar and grains. Mine get some wheat and corn from treats I make but not because I think they need it. They are just easy and yummy.
Neimo
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health