Petitions...

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Jenn » September 20th, 2006, 1:50 pm

I'm asking this for the sake of really not having a clue.

What good are these online petitions? Do you print them out, and bring them with you somewhere? Do they actually have a purpose, or have they stopped something from being effective? :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby Sarahdee » September 22nd, 2006, 9:12 am

yes, I actually printed mine out and sent it with a letter before the meeting in Memphis.
What is the problem with that? I'm trying to help out.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2006, 1:53 pm

Frankly, I'm not sure of the purpose myself. I collected signatures for a petition last fall. To even be considered for vote the signatures had to be from registered voters, had to be legible, and there was only a certain area that you could sign in on the paper, anything out of that area made the whole sheet of signatures null and void. All signatures were checked against voter registration lists in certain towns, and if they didn't have the name listed, or if the name was illegible, then it was thrown out. We ended up getting one third of our collection thrown out because of these factors, and in the end we barely had enough signatures to get to the preliminary stage.

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but in MA if you attend town meeting you are checked to see if you're registered and if you are not registered to vote in that town you sit in a seperate section, and though you can speak, your dialog is not taken down and any and all comments you have made are asked to be disregarded since you are not a registered voter.

The political system in MA is very strict (for good reason). Though I'm not sure how it is in other states, I do truly question the validity of these online petitions.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » September 25th, 2006, 12:14 pm

On Friday, 22 September 2006, 8:12 AM, Sarahdee wrote:yes, I actually printed mine out and sent it with a letter before the meeting in Memphis.

This had nothing to do with you. I never said anything about having a problem. My post was a GENUINE question about them! I have put my name on many of them, and wondered what good they honestly were, and if they truly do serve a purpose! Just a darn question!! If it had anything to do with your post directly, or I wanted to effect your thread, I would have put the question in it. I did not.

Thank you Sis, your post helped with my question. I can't see where if your not in the area, it would make a difference. Then I wasn't sure if that was the case or not? Your example was basically what I was thinking. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » September 26th, 2006, 10:13 am

On September 22 2006, 12:53 PM, SisMorphine wrote:Frankly, I'm not sure of the purpose myself. I collected signatures for a petition last fall. To even be considered for vote the signatures had to be from registered voters, had to be legible, and there was only a certain area that you could sign in on the paper, anything out of that area made the whole sheet of signatures null and void. All signatures were checked against voter registration lists in certain towns, and if they didn't have the name listed, or if the name was illegible, then it was thrown out. We ended up getting one third of our collection thrown out because of these factors, and in the end we barely had enough signatures to get to the preliminary stage.

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but in MA if you attend town meeting you are checked to see if you're registered and if you are not registered to vote in that town you sit in a seperate section, and though you can speak, your dialog is not taken down and any and all comments you have made are asked to be disregarded since you are not a registered voter.

The political system in MA is very strict (for good reason). Though I'm not sure how it is in other states, I do truly question the validity of these online petitions.

This is the way it works in other areas as well. I do sign the online petitions but I have heard repeatedly that they do no good and with good reason. They are not signed documents, they are unverifiable & they are not limited to voters in the areas being petitioned. Politicians have a way of not listening to people who do not live in their areas. If you are not a constituant, you do not exist to them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sarahdee » September 29th, 2006, 10:23 am

On September 25 2006, Jenn wrote:
On Friday, 22 September 2006, 8:12 AM, Sarahdee wrote:yes, I actually printed mine out and sent it with a letter before the meeting in Memphis.

This had nothing to do with you. I never said anything about having a problem. My post was a GENUINE question about them! I have put my name on many of them, and wondered what good they honestly were, and if they truly do serve a purpose! Just a darn question!! If it had anything to do with your post directly, or I wanted to effect your thread, I would have put the question in it. I did not.

Thank you Sis, your post helped with my question. I can't see where if your not in the area, it would make a difference. Then I wasn't sure if that was the case or not? Your example was basically what I was thinking. :|

whew getting a little snippy here.
I just asked what the problem was, I wasn't getting nasty with you.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » September 29th, 2006, 1:33 pm

I've been a little stressed, and bitchy lately. :oops: Suppose I was just making sure I got my point across, sorry. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Sarahdee » October 2nd, 2006, 11:21 am

Its okay, I have my bad days too,
hope everything gets better :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL