Victor Dodson

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » September 24th, 2006, 5:46 pm

I know he isn't a pit bull but I need your input!
Vic was rescued from the shelter last week where he'd been since July. He is neutered.
He's about 30-35lbs. and seems mostly dachshund but has a "stout" body and could have some labrador. Other than his size he looks dachshund though. He IS overweight and estimated to be 2-4 years of age.
On the ride home, we had our car and he got up front in the seat with me. He was sitting on my lap or else had his back legs on the floor of the car and was leaning up into my face kind of. I was just talking to him and he snapped at my face, 2x, quick, as if biting at a fly (you know how dogs look when they are doing that) Prior to that he'd just been in the back seat, all wags and happy because he was going home with us. When he snapped he wasn't growling or anything, he was still wagging his tail, etc. I must confess I kind of discounted it, kind of "Did I really see what I thought I saw?" because he was close and I thought, maybe I imagined it!?
Anyway, he's such a total lovebug, he rolls over on his back for belly rubs, he sleeps on Tyler's bed, he's just a really NICE dog and so I haven't thought much about the car incident since that.
But today someone came to meet Angus and while here, the man was talking to Vic, and Vic was standing up and kind of leaning in and looking up at this guy and he snapped at his face! :shock: He didn't bite him - just the same movements as when he did that with me! The man sort of pushed him away, and he said "Well I think he was jealous of Angus" but Angus was not in the picture when he did that with me, just Vic was.
So I need your suggestions!? What is this and what do I do about it?
I would not be so alarmed had I leaned over HIM, but in both circumstances, he initiated the contact, by standing up, as he's doing in this photo with Jeff, but looking directly into our faces.
No contact was made or anything - I'm just concerned about this and not sure what to do.

msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » September 25th, 2006, 11:22 am

What was his body doing during the snapping?

Wally will often air snap at me in the mornings when he's in a crazy play mood.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » September 25th, 2006, 11:59 am

Happy and wagging, I think you are right Sis, it seems more of an overstimulation. We've been making him sit for being petted, instead of standing up on our knees. He slept in the crate too last night, maybe some NILIF will work with him :) He's the happiest wiggly dog you've seen. I think, thinking back on it, it's just him wanting to TALK or communicate and using his mouth to do it.
We had Azia a while back who was mouthy and we worked with her until she did not do it any longer, I think this is Vic's problem, just mouthiness but it's somewhat alarming when it's so close to you.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » September 25th, 2006, 12:01 pm

"Air snap" is really a good term for what he did. It was like there was a fly there but of course there wasn't. He never growled or snarled. The worst part is it is next to our faces.
What would you recommend for a modification, there's going to be interaction with (older, 9yr. old and up) children in his new home. He has NOT done this with my kids at all, I might add.
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior