Agility is great!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » September 23rd, 2006, 12:45 pm

So Mike and I started agility class this morning and boy was it fun. We walk into the room to find a Sheltie, a Mini-Aussie, a Pomeranian, and a Black Lab. So when we walked in everyone said "WOAH!" It was hilarious. The lab was smaller, probably about 40 pounds, and the other dogs were obviously tiny. And then Mike, the 80 pound beast, walks in. Everyone was visibly sketched out by him.

We started out class and had to tell about ourself, our dog, and why we're taking class. I told them exactly what Mike is, an Akita/pit bull mix, and told his shelter story. Everyone continued to be sketched out.

Then class began and everyone was in awe of how well behaved Mike was. And frankly, I thought he was being a bit of a pain in the butt, but he was about a million times more well behaved than their dogs were being. The lab's owner was just full of compliments about him: his behavior, his training, his temperment, his collar (yes Noel, I gave her your website address so get it up and running already!), and how handsome he is. By the end of class no one was sketched out by him, and they all wanted to come say hi and he was in heaven (he's a little attention w hore, that dog is).

Since it's just an intro class, today we worked on going around a cone and going over the a-frame and targeting at the end. Mike was doing fantastically, everyone was impressed with his level of excitement when it came to working (especially since he waits for his turn in a very calm down stay), and how intent he was on making eye contact with me. It was great. The only bad part was my near-loss of fingers (I guess I need to work on him taking treats a bit more gently . . . OUCH!).

So yeah, I'm psyched to be taking this class, and bummed that I have to wait until next Saturday for the next one! If anyone out there is thinking about doing agility but hasn't, I say go sign up! You and your dog will love it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2006, 12:51 pm

It sounds like you had a great time!

I have the same problem with Riggs and treats - so I started giving them "up and under" like you would give treats to a horse. No more nipped fingers!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » September 23rd, 2006, 2:54 pm

Agility is great! Glad you enjoyed it!!
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby rockermom » September 23rd, 2006, 3:14 pm

On September 23 2006, mnp13 wrote:It sounds like you had a great time!

I have the same problem with Riggs and treats - so I started giving them "up and under" like you would give treats to a horse. No more nipped fingers!

Dont know what you mean by up and under to give treats but I must learn this. My fingers would kill me during training. The trainers seem to know how to hole treats without sticking out any fingers. I just am a spaz anyway.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » September 23rd, 2006, 3:16 pm

Glad you had fun at agility. I want to get into it with Rocky. I have such a great oportunity that my dad teaches agility classes however he lives over an hour away and classes are in the eve. With having kids its almost impossible for me to make his classes. Rocky and I will be attending an agility show this weekend. I hope he behaves and watches the show. I know he would be great at it too.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2006, 4:08 pm

It's the same way you give them to a horse, so that the head has to bend down instead of coming forward. It's a little awkward the first few times you do it, but it's easy to get used to. As long as the dog has to tip his nose downward they can't "lunge" at the treat and your fingers. It has saved me lots of bruises and skin. :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » September 23rd, 2006, 5:27 pm

Oh ok I will have to try that. Good for my son too who for a while was afraid to give treats.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » September 23rd, 2006, 6:40 pm

I love agility too!

Sounds like a fun day. Indoors or out?

One word of warning that I'm sure you don't need but....

I felt the same way at my class until I was asked to put a muzzle on Dreyfus. :x No good reason either.

People act calm and compliment you and are still sometimes terrified on the inside. Just keep your guard up and remember what breed(s) you own.

I don't mean to sound like a downer but I've seen it happen many times to other people too.

I've shifted away from classes and we now run our own through the NNY Bulldoggers. We had a class today and it was a lot of fun. We include CGC training, simple agility and weightpulling.

Please share your progress and training tips as you progress!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cannon » September 24th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Very cool! Glad he did well. I would like to try agility with Mo too. Sounds like a good time.

Maybe its just me, but it seems weird that someone with a pomeranian would even want to do agility with their dog. :|
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Magnolia618 » September 24th, 2006, 3:56 pm

I know someone who does agility with her shih tzus (with FULL coats! :shock: )

Cerberus is a treat snatcher. I hold the treat in a fist, let him sniff it and then I open my hand. It seems to work :|
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Purple » September 24th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Agility is great! It's a great opportunity for you and your dog to sharpen your communication skills!
We are taking Purple and Hopscotch to class....Purple is loving it, and she's 9 years old.
Purple
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » September 30th, 2006, 12:25 pm

That's great that you guys enjoyed agility!!!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » October 1st, 2006, 2:53 pm

On September 23 2006, 6:40 PM, Romanwild wrote:I love agility too!

Sounds like a fun day. Indoors or out?

One word of warning that I'm sure you don't need but....

I felt the same way at my class until I was asked to put a muzzle on Dreyfus. :x No good reason either.

People act calm and compliment you and are still sometimes terrified on the inside. Just keep your guard up and remember what breed(s) you own.

I don't mean to sound like a downer but I've seen it happen many times to other people too.

I've shifted away from classes and we now run our own through the NNY Bulldoggers. We had a class today and it was a lot of fun. We include CGC training, simple agility and weightpulling.

Please share your progress and training tips as you progress!

If it happens it happens. Mike corrected the Lab on Saturday, and I figured everyone was going to freak, but instead they told the lab owner she needed to keep her dog under control. So unless he starts showing aggression I think we'll be okay.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Training & Behavior