um... oops. I didn't mean to quick 11 nails

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2006, 3:58 pm

I brought Riggs to the tennis court at lunch to play fetch and get his and Ruby's nails worn down a bit. He quicked 11 nails. even his dew claws. I didn't realize it until the third or fourth throw

I feel really bad, but he didn't even notice and still wanted to play. We moved to the long grassy strip on the edge of the court. I eventually gave him one ball and left the other one with him as well. It's an automatic babysitter because he can't decide which one to chew on and lays on one while he chews the other. When I get ready to take one away he clamps down on the one in his mouth and covers the other one with both paws and holds on. It's really funny.

And of course, Ruby's nails hardly got touched at all. It takes about 10 throws until she really starts chasing him around but I didn't want to keep him running and bleeding everywhere.

:oops:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 22nd, 2006, 4:04 pm

Wow, poor Riggs. I need to find a tennis court for Justice, her nails are almost talons. :o
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby babyreba » September 22nd, 2006, 4:16 pm

wow, does he have super soft nails or something? none of my dogs have ever quicked themselves that easily!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2006, 4:51 pm

He has white nails, which I have heard are not as hard as black nails. He is also a little clumsy, so he gets running as fast as he can and then skids past the ball, digging his nails in to stop himself.

A couple times he bounced right back off of the net. It was pretty funny. after the third time, he started going around the net. lol

He's not limping or anything, though it would have been nice if he actually cleaned himself up a little while he was crated. the smears of dried blood on his legs are oh-so attractive
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » September 22nd, 2006, 7:50 pm

LOL!! He'll be sore tomorrow!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2006, 9:05 pm

poor baby is sore now. I told him to get up onto my bed so I could look at his feet and you should have seen his face. He started to jump and cringed.

So much for the legendary pain tolerance of Pit Bulls, though I've ripped off a nail before, I can't imagine having more than one on EVERY foot. I'm going to give him an asprine to take the edge off.

This will be interesting, I've never pilled him before. oh yay.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Vanella » September 22nd, 2006, 11:12 pm

Poor baby! :cry: Rocket has all white nails and they do grind down nicely on cement but like the hooves of a horse, they are not as hard as black, nails or hooves.
Do you have quick stop for bleeding?
Vanella
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 7th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Youch ... poor lil wild man :o

Is he all better now
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » October 7th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Aspirin can actually cause bleeding, it reduces the bloods ability to clot, keep that in mind.
Interestingly, Lambie has quicked one of her nails, she's, of course, got white nails, or clear, as it were. What's interesting is that white hooves on horses are not as hard as black hooves, either. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » October 8th, 2006, 2:20 am

aspirin is not good!

gastric ulcers are also caused by it.

If he looks really sore, I'd give him some vetwrap booties lined with bandage felt or gauze for a day or so, and if he doesn't like his booties, veriton spray tastes nasty (if they don't have it in the states I'm sure they'd have an equivilent, its a bandage protectant spray), wich might help.

Oscar has never quicked his own nails, he has mostly clear with a few brown ones. He has however road rashed the pads on his feet(I used to live near a huge parking lot that was empty at night); it never seemed to bother him much, but boy did I feel bad and it takes a while for that to heal.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 8th, 2006, 11:13 am

He was fine the next day actually. He bled for a few hours, but that was it. I gave him his asprin with his dinner, so there wouldn't be any stomach irritation. I know that asprin reduces clotting, but it also helps with swelling and pain. Not that he seems to feel pain. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » October 9th, 2006, 1:30 am

Oh, dirty karma!

That's what i get for making fun of Charles!

Took Weda out for our bike ride, and we stopped off at the Tennis Courts to chase some balls, and she quicked 4 nails. It looked like 12 when we first got home, but only because we still had to bike home after we were done and it's a good 2 mile trip.

After cleanup with some water, I could see that it was 2 nails on each back foot. And a couple scraps on the pads, but nothing serious.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » October 9th, 2006, 1:42 am

You guys are cruel cruel people. Image
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 9th, 2006, 10:06 am

On October 09 2006, 01:42, Magnolia618 wrote:You guys are cruel cruel people. Image

:( :( :(
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » October 9th, 2006, 10:55 am

Pssst.... You're not really!
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health