The Cover-Up Has Begun

Postby SisMorphine » September 21st, 2006, 10:09 am

You get what you pay for. This tattoo was free. It was supposed to be irises in a jagged frame. It has remained unfinished for 2.5 years and an aquaintance once told me it looks like a retarded cartoon rat and not an iris.

WELL last night we finally started in work on covering it up. This is just the beginning, LOTS more planned for this, but I'm totally in love with it already.
Oh yeah, and ignore the blood please.

In the future we will be adding two more irises, one on each side to wrap the sides of my leg. We also haven't decided how we're going to deal with the parts of the cover-up that are still visible (the box around the flower head), but I have complete faith in my artist that she'll figure out something damn cool.

Finally, my grandmother will have the proper memorial to her spirit and the impact that she made on my life.
RIP Grandma Win.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Purple » September 21st, 2006, 10:30 am

NICE!!!!!! Great coverup!

I thought the original kinda looked like a cockroach......
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » September 21st, 2006, 10:30 am

Pretty cool! Where are you getting it done?

I wonder if laser removal would get rid of the frame?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » September 21st, 2006, 11:14 am

On September 21 2006, 10:30 AM, Marinepits wrote:Pretty cool! Where are you getting it done?

I wonder if laser removal would get rid of the frame?

Eh, I don't want to deal with lazer removal. If I have to get my whole leg tattooed to get it covered then so be it! I would much rather have that (in fact I want that) than have to deal with lazer removal scars.

Mulysa Mayhem at Lightwave Tattoos is doing my tattoo. She is the one who did my wrists over a year ago.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Marinepits » September 21st, 2006, 11:21 am

Maybe do like a ribbon with your Gram's name or In Memory Of over the top of the iris?

And where's the website, LOL?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » September 21st, 2006, 11:32 am

On September 21 2006, 11:21 AM, Marinepits wrote:Maybe do like a ribbon with your Gram's name or In Memory Of over the top of the iris?

And where's the website, LOL?

I'll pass on the "in memory of" stuff . . . personally I find it tacky. I would much rather have a gorgeous piece on my leg that people can ask about if they want, or they can enjoy it as is. I want it to be a piece of artwork that means something to me, and not a headstone.

The link to the tattoo shop is http://www.lightwavetattoos.com/index2.html

Unfortunately her best work isn't represented on that website IMHO. She has done some great stuff that remains unpublished, but you see anytime you go in to speak with her. She is very spiritual and puts that into her artwork. I love it.
SisMorphine

Postby luvmyangels » September 21st, 2006, 11:34 am

It is really nice!!
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jenn » September 21st, 2006, 1:40 pm

Wow that's big, but it's very colorful, and pretty.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Big_Ant » September 22nd, 2006, 11:31 am

Good Luck!

My best friend, I call him my brother, is looking to get a cover up from a piece he just got a week ago.

He wanted a full sleeve, so he started with his lower arm (forearm) first. The problem is that he had been waiting so long, he put no thought into the artist, and did no checking into their experience or quality.

So the artist did the outline, and my brother hates it. He paid $250 for just the outline session, and now he's stuck with trying to find an artist to work around what is there and give him what he wants.

That's what happens when you walk into a tattoo shop and say "Who can do this?" and then just accept the first smuck who walks up to you with a needle and don't look at the person's portfolio.

I agree with not getting the ribbon though, it's very tacky and outdated. Being subtle and "mysterious" is great. I'm considering putting a barcode on my upper back, just below the neck. The numbers are going to be *022391*

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 22nd, 2006, 11:35 am

My daughter haas a barcode for one of my nephews. 031981CNB112301

Birth, initials & death. She has my other deceased nephews nickname on her leg. I have a ribbon heart with his nickname beside it. I have not decided yet what I want for Clint's memorial. Nothing seems to fit. I am planning on getting my duck & my cherries re-colored so I need to come up with something for him so I can get them all done at once.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » September 22nd, 2006, 11:42 am

On September 22 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:My daughter haas a barcode for one of my nephews. 031981CNB112301

Birth, initials & death. She has my other deceased nephews nickname on her leg. I have a ribbon heart with his nickname beside it. I have not decided yet what I want for Clint's memorial. Nothing seems to fit. I am planning on getting my duck & my cherries re-colored so I need to come up with something for him so I can get them all done at once.

Hey, that barcode setup is better than what I had, although mine is actually more meaningful with that date rather than the memorial period, so I guess mine fits.

Cherries? On women that's always in a "fascinating" place, so where are yours at?

Who's Clint? My apologies if I should know.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 22nd, 2006, 11:52 am

Clint was my nephew, he accidently shot his silly self. My other nephew was Nick ( Bud is his nickname), he was murdered by his room mate 2 years ago.

My cherries are on my upper inner thigh, near my no-no spot. One for each husband......only two taken so far. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Richter » September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 pm

It's turning out to be very beautiful, I can't wait to see what your artist does with it.

I'm finishing 2 memorials this weekend (for my brothers, who were murdered) and I'm getting my praying hands finished.

Keep us updated on your progress! :D
Richter
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Big_Ant » September 22nd, 2006, 12:44 pm

On September 22 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:My cherries are on my upper inner thigh, near my no-no spot.

My wife has the exact same thing in the exact same spot. And I must say, I L-O-V-E Cherries! :D

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2006, 12:49 pm

Anthony, where does your brother live and how far is he willing to travel? I know of an awesome tattoo artist in San Francisco and one of the BEST who is someplace in Texas . . . can't remember where I'll have to check with my friend, but he works fast and his work is beautiful and definitely lasts.
SisMorphine

Postby cheekymunkee » September 22nd, 2006, 1:08 pm

On September 22 2006, 11:44 AM, Big_Ant wrote:
On September 22 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:My cherries are on my upper inner thigh, near my no-no spot.

My wife has the exact same thing in the exact same spot. And I must say, I L-O-V-E Cherries! :D

- Anthony

:D I knew Momma Ant & I had lots in common! I think I will hold onto my last cherry for a while. I'm in no hurry to lose it. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » September 22nd, 2006, 1:15 pm

On September 22 2006, SisMorphine wrote:Anthony, where does your brother live and how far is he willing to travel? I know of an awesome tattoo artist in San Francisco and one of the BEST who is someplace in Texas . . . can't remember where I'll have to check with my friend, but he works fast and his work is beautiful and definitely lasts.

He lives in Compton, I'm in Moreno Valley (both in California), so anywhere near there. I highly doubt that he'll travel to San Fran for the work though. I'll mention it to him when he gets here to work (I got the mofo a job here a couple months back and it actually worked out, haha. Not that he's a flake, just you know how personal referrals usually end up bad)

Do you have any info (websites?) for the people you are talking about?

In case it matters, the current outline is of skulls. That's what he wants, he just doesn't like the look that the guy gave it.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2006, 1:24 pm

Well this is the guy in San Fran http://www.tattoocitysf.com/artists/carter.shtml

Well worth the trip as far as I'm concerned. I think I'm going to go out there in 2 years and will get tattooed by him (I only get one vacation a year, this one is CO, next year is *hopefully* Costa Rica, and then I'll do CA: LA, San Diego, and San Fran).

My ex now lives in LA, though he's not big into tattoos I know his neighbor is so I could have him ask where he gets his work done. There is also a guy who does body piercing, I think in Studio City, named Cliff Cadaver who is fully covered in tats and I believe he owns a tattoo shop also (or at least he did waaaaaaaaaay back when I was too young to get tattooed). Don't ask how I know him, long and drawn out story. I'll also ask my artist, Mulysa, if she recommends anyone out that way since she travels the country tattooing at least once a year. We'll find him a great artist, damnit!!
SisMorphine

Postby Miakoda » September 23rd, 2006, 12:02 am

The cover up is lookin good! As for the original, I though it was one of those man eating plants from "Little Shop Of Horrors". :D
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 23rd, 2006, 7:19 am

On September 23 2006, 12:02 AM, Miakoda wrote:The cover up is lookin good! As for the original, I though it was one of those man eating plants from "Little Shop Of Horrors". :D

:spit:
SisMorphine

Next

Return to Two Legged Family Members