Help for explosive diarrhea

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2006, 10:34 am

Any suggestions for relief / treatment for explosive diarrhea? No vomiting.

Home remedies, prescription, over the counter, etc would be great.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitgrrl » September 22nd, 2006, 10:47 am

I usually withhold food for 12-24 hours, then feed small portions of plain meat and one grain for a day of two, along with a probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement.

Slippery elm works really well for diaharria if you have it. It shouldn't be used for more than a day or so though.

Plain pumpkin mush is also a typical suggestion, although I've never found that it works for anything beyond soft stool.
pitgrrl
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 22nd, 2006, 10:54 am

Kaopectate works fast! I give it followed by canned pumpkin and yogurt
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » September 22nd, 2006, 11:07 am

Pepto works too.

Which one? Ruby or Riggs?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » September 22nd, 2006, 1:35 pm

Kaopectate (I give 2-3 tablespoons every 4-6 hours for Vicki...she's 40 pounds or so) and/or colostrum. Both work pretty fast.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2006, 1:36 pm

Though I'm all about homeopathy and natural remedies . . . when it comes to dia I'm a firm believer in skipping meals for 24 hours, giving just Flagyl (flagyl is my god . . . and a prescription) and then moving onto bland diet with canned pumpkin.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2006, 1:46 pm

On September 22 2006, 11:07, Romanwild wrote:Pepto works too.

Which one? Ruby or Riggs?

Neither... it's Katrina's dog but she's at work and can't post right now.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Miakoda » September 22nd, 2006, 6:53 pm

On Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:54 am, cheekymunkee wrote:Kaopectate works fast! I give it followed by canned pumpkin and yogurt

Here Here! I prefer Kao ofter Pepto as Pepto has aspirin in it & aspirin is known to cause stomach upset in some dogs (& people too :wink: ). I also withold food for a day & then start back with a bland diet.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Vanella » September 22nd, 2006, 11:31 pm

I do kaopeptake (sp?) then I don't feed for 24 hours. Then I go rice only for another 12. He is usually ok after that and if not I go pumpkin.

He has perforated ulcers so his system is sensitve. This program works every time for me.

Good luck.. :cry:
Vanella
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Knomad » September 27th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Two meals a day or rice and soft white cheese will sort out the stool rapidly.

Toast the rice lightly in a frypan until its golden (without oil) and then boil it up so its soft (without salt), mix in some soft white cheese (pizza cheese) to add some flavour and feed.

Usually it only takes one day to solidify the stool to a good level, two to make it hard again on this diet. Works a treat my vet told me of it when the pups both had explosive diarreah just after we got them (parasites).
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Marco » September 28th, 2006, 3:07 pm

You have to have a Px for flagyl right?

And can you get Kaopectate at the drugstore?
Marco
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » September 28th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I hesitate on flagyl as it is an antibiotic and in our time of bug resistant antibiotics its best to be as sure as possible that you have something your antibiotic can treat.

For Oscar, I would do pepto, and perhaps some plain basmati rice (its long grain white rice and is much healthier). Either that, or depending on how bad the diarrhea was, I might just water down his kibble and decrease the amounts I fed him but at closer intervals, so the GI tract doesn't deal with a bunch of food all at once. IF the diarrhea is VERY severe, I'd take the dog off food entirely for at least a day, encourage water consumption (maybe even put a small amount of chicken broth or something mild but tasty into the water).
The major concern with diarrhea is dehydration, the more liquid or explosive diarrhea, the more water the dog looses from his system. The priorities are : 1st, make sure the dog is hydrated properly, 2nd, cautiously begin trying to calm the angered GI tract wich created the whole problem in the first place.

at some point as the dog's system begins to accept food again, it might not be a bad idea to add some plain, natural (without gelatin etc) yogurt as it contains acidopholus, a good bacteria wich will help the GI tract reguvinate.

HTH

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » September 28th, 2006, 4:32 pm

On September 28 2006, 2:07 PM, Marco wrote:You have to have a Px for flagyl right?

And can you get Kaopectate at the drugstore?

Yes you can, you can get it just about anywhere, grocery store, target, Walmart all carry it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » September 28th, 2006, 4:45 pm

I ended up doing Flagyl and rice and boiled chicken for a few days. I also put in some plain white yogurt....she's better, but it's not totally solid...we're going to the vet Saturday morning, I'm going to have her stools checked...

Thank you, everyone, for the advice (and thank you, Michelle for posting for me)
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health