throwing up everyday...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chance's mom » September 20th, 2006, 6:17 pm

so chance has been throwing up almost everyday for a few weeks now. he is kennelled during the day and usually within an hour of me taking him out he throws up. no solids ever, only a yellow fluid. he poops with no problem and its not diahreah, but he does have gas. i am not so convinced he is sick and i dont know if this will sound weird or not, but i think it may be due to him not wanting to poop early in the morning.
see my bf and i both leave for work early, and we take chance out to potty in the morning before we leave, but lately he doesnt always poop in the morning. what i have noticed before is that if he doesnt poop he throws up, could this be becuase he is holding it in all day since he is not going in the morning and its hurting his stomach?
when i see he is going to throw up he is drooling and licking his lips a lot, thats the sign he is gonna throw up. sometimes i take him out, he will poop and the drooling stops and he doesnt throw up. but if he doesnt poop he throws up. has anyone elses dog gone through this? does it sound like he is sick?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 20th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Is he eating and drinking okay?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chance's mom » September 20th, 2006, 6:27 pm

yes he is eating and drinking fine. occasionally he wont eat all of his food, but for the most part he is eating fine. drinking is regular.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 20th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Hi! :greenWave:

My Lab/Pit, Harleybird has been going through this for a few years. On and off.

After blood tests, xrays, yadda, yadda, yadda, he was diagnosed with a stomach emptying problem. Vet put him on Reglan 3 x a day and then we weaned him to 1 x a day.

I started him on probiotics and changed his food to Natural Balance, venison. I literally tried every food on the market. (Well, the good ones.) He doesn't use Reglan anymore.

I have to watch that he doesn't eat grass or anything else, including dog biscuits or carrots (my dogs get them as treats). He had gas when the food wasn't digested properly.

The drooling lets me know he is going to gack. At least I have a warning. :)

Hope this helps ~

Joyce
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby concreterose » September 20th, 2006, 6:57 pm

First off, I would put him on a good probiotic and digestive enzyme.
What are you feeding him?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby chance's mom » September 20th, 2006, 7:08 pm

solid gold wolf king. we used to switch him every couple of months from hundenflauken to wolf king, but then he stopped eating the hundenflocken, so he only eats the wolf king now.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2006, 8:07 pm

It sounds like bile, Connor does that as well. They produce more of it than usual when they are stressed out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chance's mom » September 20th, 2006, 9:59 pm

On Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:07 pm, mnp13 wrote:It sounds like bile, Connor does that as well. They produce more of it than usual when they are stressed out.

i think you might be right, our roomate moved out sunday and that was chance's buddy. he really liked him. we just got back from the vet and he recommended i feed chance boiled chicken and rice for 7 days instead of his solid gold. they also did a fecal sample which came back negative. so i think he is fine.

so now i ask.... how long do you boil chicken? i am a little nervous about that and have no idea how long it takes. anyone done it before to feed their dog?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 20th, 2006, 10:03 pm

I put the chicken in a deep frying pan with enough water to cover the bottom, cover it, and cook until the water is almost gone and the chicken is no longer pink. I also use only boneless breasts and trim off all the fat -- the fat can upset their tummies even more.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2006, 10:23 pm

or just take the plunge and go to raw. :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby karma » September 21st, 2006, 12:53 am

On September 20 2006, Marinepits wrote:I put the chicken in a deep frying pan with enough water to cover the bottom, cover it, and cook until the water is almost gone and the chicken is no longer pink. I also use only boneless breasts and trim off all the fat -- the fat can upset their tummies even more.

i agree b/c when the bone gets boiled or cooked i am told they become a hazard to teh dog so when i rescued a rottie some years back in order to build his weight back up i would do teh chicken and rice and i also gave him some beef that was boiled and mixed it with rice...... sorry for the misspelling i am tired. by the way the rottie made a 100% recovery i placed him in a good home and he was a great pooch until he got out the gate and hit and killed by a car.
Taj Taylor
Http://www.karmatiknd.com
"Go for the T.E.N." -Taj of Karmatik Training Services
"HEALTHY DOG HAPPY LIFE" - Taj of www.karmatiknd.com

Postby karma » September 21st, 2006, 12:53 am

On September 20 2006, Marinepits wrote:I put the chicken in a deep frying pan with enough water to cover the bottom, cover it, and cook until the water is almost gone and the chicken is no longer pink. I also use only boneless breasts and trim off all the fat -- the fat can upset their tummies even more.

i agree b/c when the bone gets boiled or cooked i am told they become a hazard to teh dog so when i rescued a rottie some years back in order to build his weight back up i would do teh chicken and rice and i also gave him some beef that was boiled and mixed it with rice...... sorry for the misspelling i am tired. by the way the rottie made a 100% recovery i placed him in a good home and he was a great pooch until he got out the gate and hit and killed by a car.
Taj Taylor

Postby karma » September 21st, 2006, 12:55 am

i need to go to sleep im so tired i double posted that last one huh. :|
Taj Taylor

Postby Malli » September 21st, 2006, 1:05 am

Oscar will vomit if he hasn't been out and he needs to pee. I'd lived in apt. until about 4 days ago and for some reason he wasn't that clear (or I wasn't paying attention :oops: ) and instead of messing in the house he'd vomit. I always thought it was pee, but on thinking about it, all I can commit to is that he had to use the bathroom...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » September 21st, 2006, 6:21 am

I've also had dogs vomit bile if they are hungry. If Nisha went too long without eating as a puppy, she'd vomit bile....once I started to feed her more often, the problem went away.

Whenever I have to boil chicken, I just use regular old chicken, bones and all...makes more work for you (b/c you'll have to clean the chicken off the bones to feed for the dog), but it gives you a nice chicken stock to use for soups!!!! (just freeze it in containers)....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » September 21st, 2006, 8:14 am

An experience we had with Mac:

As a young dog (9 months or so), Mac would vomit bile quite often, but he ate and drank well and had no "bathroom" issues. We would just treat with chicken and rice and a change of food per our vet. A few weeks later, he vomited bile for several hours straight and we took him to the vet immediately. Turns out he had an intestinal blockage from a tennis ball he had eaten -- he had to have surgery to remove it.

He hasn't vomited bile since then, except when he eats too many leaves.

I'm not saying the same thing is wrong with your pup, but it's just something to keep in mind if he doesn't stop vomiting after you've changed his food and his "stress" level.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Vanella » September 23rd, 2006, 12:04 am

On September 20 2006, concreterose wrote:First off, I would put him on a good probiotic and digestive enzyme.
What are you feeding him?

I would do concrete roses suggestion first. Then I would make sure he doesn't have intestinal blockage. A good home remedy is metamucil and ice cream, Vanilla, and nothing else for 12 hours. If he takes a big long poop, then his intestines are fine. If not, then you have other issues.

While stress is a major upset it will, USUALLY, be short lived in terms of throwing up. Vomit is usually something to do with diet, digestive tract, etc.
Vanella
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Knomad » September 23rd, 2006, 11:08 am

If hes a young dog, 1-7 months I wouldnt wrry overly much about it. If hes pooping well, eating well, looks healthy and has an active character still hes probably just curious.

Its common for young dogs to eat everything they can possibly encounter (as we all know) unfortunately it doesnt agree with their stomaches and they often vomit it back up daily, usually early in the day or in the morning. At that time of day they are well aware they have somehting not digesting right in their bellies from the day before and they like to clear the stomache.

You can check with your vet but from what you have described its quite common. Both my pups went through it for a couple of months, but then they were eating EVERYTHING. You can call them OFF eating things, great but by the time they heed the command most times at that age they have taken at least one mouthful of the offneding object, whether its poop, bubblegum, glass, mouldy food whatever crosses their ground stuck little noses.

My pair have at last stopped it, mainly because they eat less junk these days and are wiser to whats bad and whats not.

Hope it helps.
Knomad
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health