Junior Handling?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » September 19th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Where do you start? Does anyone know people in New England who teach and train with kids?

I know next to nothing about it and would love some more information for my youngest daughter.

This past weekend at the Hebron Fairgrounds, I let the Gremlin handle Birdie with in a group of people that I know well while we were in a fairly enclosed area and they ended up with an audience of people watching them.

The Gremlin decided to show off and put Birdie in a down, walk about 15 feet away, called her while walking away and Birdie came to her and fell into a heel. Then she put her in down, hid behind hay bales, counted to 15 then called her. She also did Birdie's Circus Pup trick (sit pretty) and wave Hi to everyone watching.

I don't know what it's called, but she walks with the dog on her right in a heel, stops, Birdie sits, then Gremlin gives the stay command and starts walking away, then calls Birdie to her.

She says she learned from watching at the MAD summer challenge at Chris Fraize's. :|

A woman watching us commented that the Gremlin was really great with the dog and we should look into junior handling and dog sports for her. The woman used to do Junior Handling with the 4-H club, but it fell off due to the kid's lack of interest. She raises Border Collies and German Shepards.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2006, 1:34 pm

there is Junior Handling in almost every sport. I think it's under 15?

what about weight pull? If the dog is that willing to work for her it might be a great combination!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » September 19th, 2006, 1:39 pm

On September 19 2006, 1:34 PM, mnp13 wrote:there is Junior Handling in almost every sport. I think it's under 15?

what about weight pull? If the dog is that willing to work for her it might be a great combination!

I have to research it. My fear is that I'll hurt Birdie in training because I don't have enough experience and then she won't be able to do service work with me.

I have been gradually strengthening her so she can bear my weight for a few seconds when I need to get up off the ground when I get stuck. I made a vest with pockets and I've been gradually adding weight and walking and playing ball with her for short periods of time.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » September 19th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Why don't you p.m. Karen in case she doesn't see this. Her girls have been handeling dogs ever since they could walk.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Karen » September 19th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Hoyden wrote:Cheeky said to PM you my post since your kids have been handling since they could walk.

Mine is 4-1/2 and wants to learn junior handling/
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Laura has been showing the big dogs since she was 2 years old. The others were in 4-H for years. In UKC there is Pee Wee which is what your daughter is and it is stacking, showing the bite, and gaiting the dog plus answering simple questions like where is the nose etc.

Laura started the next age group last year of sub junior which she'll outgrow next July. She'll then be a Jr Novice then with 3 blues she'll be an open JR til age 14 then it is Sr. til 18.

Your daughter needs a JR number and you can call Brad at UKC (http://www.ukcdogs.com) to request a new packet with all current rules, forms, and numbers. If Birdie isn't registered then she needs a LP. All recognized classes need a permanent registration or an LP depending on the class.

She is also eligible for the total jr. program and can handle the dog in performance events for year end awards etc. and special ribbons from the clubs.

To get her in 4-H as a clover bud (she's really too young 8 is the start age) contact your county extension office of u-mass. Each county has one here is the one for MA http://www.mass4h.org/ and here is the search by state one http://www.national4-hheadquarters.gov/about/4h_map.htm

4-H is a great place to start and each club does fitting and show (jr handling) and obedience. Many do agility as well.

Well here are some places to start anyway.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior