Hot sauce and temperment?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Richter » September 18th, 2006, 7:28 pm

I don't know if this is the right section, so mods, feel free to move it.

I've heard that hot sauce makes dogs mean, I've tried searching the forums and what not and didn't find a whole lot.

Is this true? Because I eat hot sauce on everything, and if my puppy does something good I usually give her a bite.

For example, I ate pot roast covered in hot sauce tonight, that includes the potatos and carrots. I gave her a little meat and a bit of potato for being a good girl, but do you think hot sauce can really affect temperment?

I don't want to create a monster just because I love hot sauce. :|

EDIT - Don't misconstrue this as me purposely giving my dog hot sauce, I just happen to eat it on everything. :oops:
Richter
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » September 18th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Well, if it were true, I'd have the four meanest dogs on the planet, LOL! My husband eats hot sauce on EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. The dogs usually get some of what we eat and the boys love the hot sauce -- the girls not so much, but they won't turn down the food. :wink:

I wouldn't make it a staple in her diet, but I wouldn't worry about it, either. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » September 18th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Makes 'em mean as junk yard dogs. Better sleep with one eye open tonight...... :D
Purple
I live here

Postby IamaDick » September 18th, 2006, 10:00 pm

I have heard this myth sooo many times its not even funny, and most of the people that say it are wanna be dogfighters that think they know it all, like putting old motor oil on the dog for weeks gets rid of fleas, ticks and everything else. Ya, im sure it does, but what does it do TO THE DOG!! Anyway, i dont think it has any effect, just another old dogfighters tale.
WWAASSUUPP!!!
IamaDick
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » September 19th, 2006, 5:40 am

I agree....sadly my dogs love hot sauce....and they are the biggest love bugs ever....Sucks that it totally backfired when I tried to use it as an aversion to chewing on things: they just treated it as seasoning!!!!

However, I did set up Nisha (b/c she would always counter-surf. I put a piece of jabanero smeared with peanut butter on the counter...I don't think she'll be counter-surfing anytime soon....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby GreddyGirl » September 19th, 2006, 8:58 am

Id be more worried about the gas :shock:
GreddyGirl
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 19th, 2006, 9:02 am

:backRoll:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2006, 9:30 am

On September 19 2006, 05:40, katiek0417 wrote:However, I did set up Nisha (b/c she would always counter-surf. I put a piece of jabanero smeared with peanut butter on the counter...I don't think she'll be counter-surfing anytime soon....

And todays "Evil Mommy" award goes to KATRINA!!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » September 19th, 2006, 9:36 am

(I've done that, too, except I used cayenne pepper in a bread-ball. :oops: )
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » September 19th, 2006, 9:52 am

On September 19 2006, 8:36 AM, Marinepits wrote:(I've done that, too, except I used cayenne pepper in a bread-ball. :oops: )

My dogs liked the cayenne pepper....again: seasoning

On September 19 2006, 8:30 AM, mnp13 wrote:And todays "Evil Mommy" award goes to KATRINA!!!!

Just innovative :wink: She forgave me....she still loves me...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » September 19th, 2006, 9:53 am

Mac sneezed for about 20 minutes, but he still surfs. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » September 19th, 2006, 10:16 am

I did that too, sprinkled Tabasco on the garbage to keep them out. It worked on ALL but Justice.............she loves the stuff.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » September 20th, 2006, 6:28 am

On September 19 2006, 9:16 AM, cheekymunkee wrote:I did that too, sprinkled Tabasco on the garbage to keep them out. It worked on ALL but Justice.............she loves the stuff.

Oh no...Tabasco is sweet....many dogs tend to like Tabasco....for the tough dogs, go online and do a search for hot sauce...get the hottest one you can find (there is one that comes in a little wooden "coffin." That works well!!!!
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby HappyPuppy » September 20th, 2006, 12:29 pm

That sounds like a SILLY myth. My Ruby ADORES wasabi peas and I randomly fling them at her (like they fall out of the sky) when I'm working at my desk. She stares at the floor like I was using one of those laser pointers and waits for little peas to appear. I also feed her occasional leftover-snacks that, I, too, SMOTHER with hot sauce. Yum. My first clue was early on when we got her and she had few poo-eating episodes (I can't believe we cured this by changing foods - if that did it?)! Anyway, I made a futile attempt to pour hot sauce on her turds and it did NOT slow her down one bit. I have not sought out the deadly stuff tho I am growing habaneros this year - might play with ONE of those.

The one I want to know about is feeding dogs gun powder ???!!! to make them meaner. My husband doesn't thing that does anything chemically but I sure don't see how what you feed you dog can influence it's temperment - not feeding, yes. Physical abuse and neglect, yes. Taunting and teasing, yes.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2006, 1:08 pm

I believe the gum powder thing is partially true, as one of the ingredients can cause brain damage. I don't know that that would make them mean, but it wouldn't do much for intelligance.

Habanero tip - if you want to make them beyond-brutally hot, only water them when they get very dry and droopy, then flood them, then wait until they are totally dried out again. It makes a VERY big difference... a very painful difference.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Richter » September 20th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Gun powder is 100% true, I've seen it first hand. Though the dog is no longer alive, my friends father has video of the result of a dog fed gun powder (or having it shoved up their ass). Cruel, yes, he was young and stupid, and a dog fighter.

Luckily he's no longer like this, doesn't own any dogs, and looks back at his days of dog fighting as cruel and disgusting.

However, gun powder can also cure a mean toothache, I've seen my grandfather do it, it was wild.
Richter
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior