Chicken liver doesn't agree with Riggs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2006, 12:01 am

Guess how I found out...

:puke:

actually, he was having a holy temper tantrum in his crate. Now, he has frewuent tantrums in his crate but this one was REALLY REALLY bad. After a few minutes I gave in and went to see what his malfunction was this time. Poor little guy was jammed against the door - to get away from what he had deposited at the other end of the crate.

I felt really bad :oops:

I threw in a chicken neck, liver and heart with each dog's meal tonight. I didn't think that small of an amount could have such an effect. Not that I was expecting an effect in the first place....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 15th, 2006, 2:45 am

maybe chicken is his allergy?
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » September 15th, 2006, 5:47 am

Had this been the first time you gave him gizzards? Are you sure it was the liver? It took Nisha a couple of times to eat it before she had solid stool with it....remember, it's a different protein content. And Asja won't eat kidneys or liver at all (loves heart, though)....

Also, are you sure it was the extra stuff you put in? Is it possible he picked up a bug or something? Nisha had colitis ON AND OFF forever at my old house...hasn't had EVEN ONE episode since I moved into my new house (are we all knocking on wood right now?). Even though fecal after fecal showed up negative, there was SOMETHING in my yard causing her to get diarrhea over and over...

And there's really no reason for this emoticon, except for that I love penguins and I just noticed it!!!!! :whatever:
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » September 15th, 2006, 8:52 am

awww, poor Riggs! Liver is yucko...definitely not for everyone's tummies...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2006, 10:51 am

I have given them gizzards with no problems, they have had them a few times. I get the gizzards at the butcher.

I'm positive it was neck, liver and heart because that's what it said on each zip lock. I got them from the farm I used to get my chickens from so I'm sure that that is exactly what I gave them.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the chicken, Ruby ate a leg from the same package. They eat a good deal of chicken and turkey, but this was the first time they had liver.

He didn't have any problems later last night or this morning, just the "issue" in the crate after dinner.

I'll probably try it again, and this time pay MUCH closer attention if he starts to fuss!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 15th, 2006, 11:28 am

Liver pretty much goes right through mine. When Justice gets "clogged up" sometimes I give her a meal or two of just liver before cutting out the bone in her diet for a while.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Vanella » September 23rd, 2006, 12:10 am

On September 15 2006, mnp13 wrote:I have given them gizzards with no problems, they have had them a few times. I get the gizzards at the butcher.

I'm positive it was neck, liver and heart because that's what it said on each zip lock. I got them from the farm I used to get my chickens from so I'm sure that that is exactly what I gave them.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the chicken, Ruby ate a leg from the same package. They eat a good deal of chicken and turkey, but this was the first time they had liver.

He didn't have any problems later last night or this morning, just the "issue" in the crate after dinner.

I'll probably try it again, and this time pay MUCH closer attention if he starts to fuss!

I know this is SO late in the game, but liver is the first of the gizzards to go rancid. Heart and other innards have more muscle, so they keep better, but liver gets bad QUICK.... I found out the hard way also... :o
Vanella
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2006, 11:20 am

hmmm...

I don't think his was bad it looked and smelled the same way Ruby's did and they were both packaged and frozen at the same time.

I need to find a source of organ meats though.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health