I saw Cheryl Carlson

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Samthepit » September 14th, 2006, 11:16 pm

and my mom locked my keys in my van. Nevermind the van though - she was AWESOME. Such a nice lady and she told me Sam was a good girl. Got the right kind of prey drive and didn't even act aggressive towards the other dogs - not even the Jack Russel's who were SPAZY of course. She's too dang far away for me to join her classes (I could almost cry - I would have LOVED to) but she hooked me up w/ a guy closer to me. Said Sam would be an awesome candidate for agility and she helped me w/ a lot of my questions. I was so relived to hear a 'professional' tell me I had a good, 'normal' dog. Especially since my mom was there to hear what she said - AND she told my mom the ONLY breed of dog anyone could ever say was absolutly good w/ kids were Pits. No other dog was ever kept from showing ANY signs of aggression except the pit due to their gaming nature and what that entails. I was SO glad she told my mom that cause I'm just some yahoo who 'happened' into a pitbull - no authority no matter how much reading I've done KWIM? Ok I just had to share w/ someone that I got Sam assessed and she runs no higher risk of eating my kids than the next dog (maybe even less). WOO HOO... Now it's on to the 'real' work of keeping her busy and good and tired....
Sarah Broadwater
"who's behavior do you answer for?"
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 14th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Told ya so!!!!!

Did you remember to say hi for us? :D

I was on the phone with her today actually, we're already looking forward to going out there in May! (check the calendar!)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » September 15th, 2006, 7:14 am

Wait so she said pit bulls don't eat babies? Obviously she has no idea what she's talking about ;)

That is awesome that you went out to see her, that the eval went so well, that your mother is now more educated about the breed, and that she hooked you up with a trainer closer to you. You must be feeling awesome right now :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » September 15th, 2006, 1:12 pm

That's great news for both of you. :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Samthepit » September 15th, 2006, 2:43 pm

I am SO happy. She really is as good as everyone said she was and she was very positive while speaking of Sam's response's to the things she was doing. She cleared up so many of my questions - really it meant a lot to me because there were several days after first getting Sam that I just would cry (I'm kind of a baby in my old age) because I wasn't sure what I had gotten my family involved in. The week I got Sam it seemed there were at least 3 'pitbull' attacks on the news, and when ppl asked what kind of dog I got - well they politely gave me the silent treatment. The icy kind... The 'you're an idiot aren't you' kind. Doesn't help when ur already second guessing yourself KWIM? Things are working out and I feel far more confidant in handling most situations now that I've talked with her. Thanks for continuing to talk her up even when I was hesitating - it was so worth it.
Sarah Broadwater
"who's behavior do you answer for?"
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2006, 2:58 pm

I'm always happy to endorse people who I think do a good job - and it's as important to do a good job with the dogs as it is with the owners! The way I look at it, if you endorse someone and that someone treats the new person poorly, it makes both of you look bad.

In dog training, people skills are as important (if not more important) than dog skills, as you are really training both the dog and the handler. Cheryl definately has both.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior