a little help please

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby karma » September 13th, 2006, 6:53 pm

i am working on getting Karma better on her obediance but the retrieve an object part is a problem she gets the item but then runs around and brings it to me when she is ready to share it with me and if i use a long line she drops it when i guide her in my direction.... any suggestions? :|
Taj Taylor
Http://www.karmatiknd.com
"Go for the T.E.N." -Taj of Karmatik Training Services
"HEALTHY DOG HAPPY LIFE" - Taj of www.karmatiknd.com

Postby Purple » September 13th, 2006, 8:42 pm

We used two of the exact same toy/item. Only when one was brought back and released to us, would the dog get the toy agan.....did I word that right?
Purple
I live here

Postby karma » September 13th, 2006, 9:43 pm

On September 13 2006, Purple wrote:We used two of the exact same toy/item. Only when one was brought back and released to us, would the dog get the toy agan.....did I word that right?

thank you for the advie and yes you worded it wrong but i get the piture (picture, get it?) i will try that and let you know how it works out.
Taj Taylor

Postby Hoyden » September 13th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I used a slightly different method, but it kinda back fired in my face.

I would call her over to me and show her a treat. Birdie would come trotting over to me.

I'd give the OUT command and put my hand out, she'd drop the item into my hand & I'd give her the treat. If she didn't put it in my hand, I'd nudge it with my foot and tell her GET IT!

Then Birdie decided that if she wanted a treat, she'd grab something she knows she isn't supposed to have and run around until I offered her a treat.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 13th, 2006, 11:27 pm

lol Naughty Birdie.... smart Birdie.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pinepples » September 14th, 2006, 5:05 am

I'm a fan of clickertraining when it comes to OB. When propery executed you get a really reliable retrieve, because the dog was never given a chance to do it wrong. Back-chaining is a great way to make the dog feel like the delivery in itself is rewarding.

Here is a three-part article of how to clickertrain the retrieve.
You don't have to use a clicker per say, you can easily condition a word or another sound, although I'd recomment using a clicker.

http://www.geocities.com/jetflair/retrievearticle.html
Pinepples
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » September 14th, 2006, 8:15 am

Does she come straight back to you with the object and then give chase or does she immediately just take it and go off on her own?

As I usually say, I'm not a trainer, I'm just suggesting.
Perhaps try the longline thing again so you can get her coming directly back to you. If she drops the ball before getting to you, too bad, game over, bring her back in the house. Right now she's used to you throwing the ball no matter when she gets it back to you, so perhaps try to make it a "now or never" type of deal "bring the ball back immediately and we will play, drop it and we won't play". And I say to put her back on the longline to make sure she is coming directly to you after. This way after a while she'll say "Well I either carry the ball to him now since I have to go that way, or I don't get to play ball at all" and eventually she will begin to carry the ball all the way to you while on the longline. Once she has it so that she is getting the ball and coming directly to you with it on the longline, then try her off. If she goes running then say "Oh well, game over" and end the game again. It may take a while, but it just may work.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » September 14th, 2006, 12:34 pm

depending on your style of training and the dog's toy drive, you could also try this.
teach her take it, teach her out. make sure she's solid.

have her play fetch with the long line, guide her in, if she stops, give her a correction, give her a take it command, praise when she takes it and praise as she moves towards you. If she drops it again, repeat.

I want to emphasize that this could backfire if the dog isn't very into the retrieving game. Most folks use retrieving not as a utility exercise, but as a fun way for the dog to exercise, so it could quickly lose it's enjoyment if the dog thinks the fun is gone. If that makes sense

I'm no trainer either, just thought I'd toss that suggestion out there...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » September 14th, 2006, 5:07 pm

I"m with Pineapples on this one though each dog is different and some do better with different training methods.
I have three dogs in the household that have different personalities, drives and all three are learning the retireve with different methods.

Kimber learned with the food motivated method like the one Pineapples posted a link to. I did not use a clicker, simply food and praise. If there is a dumbell in site, Kimber will find a way to bring it to me because she knows that prodcues a cookie. Her retrieve is coming along nicely and has been reliable even when I introduced it in a distracting enviornment.

Brody doesn't like food so this method doesn't work for him. Instead he has toy drive (for a tug anyway) which has made things fairly simple though I'm having to take lots of time to teach the "hold" portion when he returns with the item.

Mercy has to play the two toy game due to her possesive drive with toys. Her brain has just now begun to function in the presence of stimulus so I'm going to try the food motivated retrieve as well. Prior to now however she got over stimulated by the toy, possesive and then when I did get her to focus on food she became overstimulated and forgot about the toy!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby karma » September 15th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Thank you all for your very helpful tips i will be trying to get this down so that the next time those that have seen Karma in action will se a stronger performance i have a lot of homework to do and i am glad that there is always someone that is willing to help out.
Taj Taylor

Postby katiek0417 » September 17th, 2006, 5:31 am

On September 14 2006, 4:07 PM, pocketpit wrote:I"m with Pineapples on this one though each dog is different and some do better with different training methods.
I have three dogs in the household that have different personalities, drives and all three are learning the retireve with different methods.

Kimber learned with the food motivated method like the one Pineapples posted a link to. I did not use a clicker, simply food and praise. If there is a dumbell in site, Kimber will find a way to bring it to me because she knows that prodcues a cookie. Her retrieve is coming along nicely and has been reliable even when I introduced it in a distracting enviornment.

Brody doesn't like food so this method doesn't work for him. Instead he has toy drive (for a tug anyway) which has made things fairly simple though I'm having to take lots of time to teach the "hold" portion when he returns with the item.

Mercy has to play the two toy game due to her possesive drive with toys. Her brain has just now begun to function in the presence of stimulus so I'm going to try the food motivated retrieve as well. Prior to now however she got over stimulated by the toy, possesive and then when I did get her to focus on food she became overstimulated and forgot about the toy!

I completely agree that every dog is different. Sacha is a total food whore...well, and a labrador RETRIEVER (which doesn't hurt when teaching a solid retrieve)....she learned with genetics and food.

Both Nisha and Dru have been learning with 2 pieces of PVC piping. I throw the one, then swing the other one around as prey (both have incredible prey drive)....when they come back, I tease them with the one in my hand, and as they drop the one they have I give their "out" command....then throw the one in my hand....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior