Proud proud proud of her

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby concreterose » September 13th, 2006, 11:54 am

We have been back in agility for a few weeks now...I took a break when I got Solomon, and my class load got heavy for a bit...

Anyway, I re-enrolled Vicki in the weaves class since I haven't really been working her at home on them.
She remembered how to weave after not doing it at all for almost four months! I didn't have to start off with food lures, and I only have to do the slightest hand motion to get her going. This is on eight poles. So now we have to work on speed. She is such a great little dog because she gets stuff even though I SUCK as a handler.

Also, I am SO pleased with her focus. Of course there were a couple of people there who had NO control over their dogs, one lady was babytalking Vicki while her Terv is obviously posturing and giving Vicki the stink eye...Vicki looked like she was going to burr up, as soon as I called her she immediately got back to work. She did this several times over the evening, my trainer was really impressed with her.

Now if we can get the crate thing figured out, we'll be on our way.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 13th, 2006, 11:59 am

Good job Vicki!!! It is amazing how smart these guys are.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby babyreba » September 13th, 2006, 12:49 pm

that's awesome! good work Vicki!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 13th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Cool!

I haven't managed to get Ruby to do more than one single pole :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 13th, 2006, 1:09 pm

I'm not familiar with the "format" of most agility classes. Can a reactive dog participate? Or is it just too risky and most trainers won't allow?

It sounds like fun...

Its always great when they exceed your expectations :)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby concreterose » September 13th, 2006, 1:44 pm

On Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:09 pm, Malli wrote:I'm not familiar with the "format" of most agility classes. Can a reactive dog participate? Or is it just too risky and most trainers won't allow?

It sounds like fun...

Its always great when they exceed your expectations :)

Malli

Reactive dogs can very well participate if you work focus with them. Vicki is VERY da, and she's been participating in group classes for over two years.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » September 13th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Big congrats to both of you. :) I'd love to do some agility with the guys, both if not one... Wish there was something a tad closer. :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 13th, 2006, 5:14 pm

That's great that Vicki remembered!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Purple » September 13th, 2006, 8:52 pm

That's great! I didn't work Hopscotch on agility all summer, started class again three weeks agao, and she zipped right thru! I was amazed! Now if I could just learn how to be a better handler, we just might start to have fun!! lol

Also enrolled Purple, our 9 year old, and she absolutely loves it!
Purple
I live here

Postby concreterose » September 14th, 2006, 7:00 am

On Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:52 pm, Purple wrote:That's great! I didn't work Hopscotch on agility all summer, started class again three weeks agao, and she zipped right thru! I was amazed! Now if I could just learn how to be a better handler, we just might start to have fun!! lol

Also enrolled Purple, our 9 year old, and she absolutely loves it!

Yeah, I am an awful handler. It's kinda different with a DA dog though, because not only do you have to handle, but you have to watch body language and make sure they are staying focused. Vicki can be very sneaky looking out of the corner of her eye at other dogs, etc., so I really have to watch her. She continually gets better though, especially if I keep her at a distance that is comfortable for her.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 14th, 2006, 8:08 am

Very cool! And thanks for posting this and reminding me to call and sign Mike up for agility :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » September 14th, 2006, 12:08 pm

so, did you tell the trainer of the class about her issues when you called to sign up?

Are most trainers/teachers/whatever you want to call the instructor willing to take a dog in like that? Or is it more difficult to find someone that will take a DA or reactive dog?

the gears in my brain are turning on this

agility seems like a fun way to train, less competitive and less "right" and "wrong"
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » September 14th, 2006, 12:55 pm

when I sign up for classes I don't say anything about DA. I tell them I have a Pit Bull and that's it. We deal with the DA when we get there. I have never joined a "socialization" class so I don't see why the dogs would be interacting anyway.

A couple of the instructors have not been happy with the "evil Pit Bulls" in their classes, but since they are (mostly) under control they don't have anything to back up their complaints with.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » September 14th, 2006, 1:42 pm

On Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:08 am, Malli wrote:so, did you tell the trainer of the class about her issues when you called to sign up?

Are most trainers/teachers/whatever you want to call the instructor willing to take a dog in like that? Or is it more difficult to find someone that will take a DA or reactive dog?

the gears in my brain are turning on this

agility seems like a fun way to train, less competitive and less "right" and "wrong"

Nope, I didn't say anything. At the facility where I train, they have a very strict policy about not letting the dogs socialize and play together...that's not why they are there. They also have a system...if your dog does not get along with other dogs, they have bandanas you can tie around their necks if you want people to stay away. I never use one though, but I'll tell people if they let their dogs wander that mine does NOT like other dogs.

The trainer did pull me aside when I first started training there and told me because of the reputation of our breed, that she needed to be superb on focusing on me, moreso than other breeds. She stays on me when she thinks I'm slipping. I'm very grateful to her for helping me so much. They are pit bull friendly, Mach Emma is their hero LOL
They are rooting for Vicki to follow in her footsteps (don't know about THAT though, those are heavy footsteps to follow!).

The thing that I like (and what has made me stick with going there) is that they realize that some DOGS are dog aggressive, not just pit bulls.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » September 14th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info, both of you!

Its not easy with a reactive dog...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior