No more bones for Ollie

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » February 4th, 2006, 11:39 pm

I've been feeding my 3 raw for almost a year now. Ollie is a pom/spitz mix and weighs about 20 pounds or so. I make sure she has soft bones, chicken legs, turkey wings, flat bones & things like that. Last night I fed them a package of pigs feet. The feet are split & the bones are very soft & she has eaten them before with no problems. All of them are fed seperate so there is no need for them to feel rushed or to gobble their food. She took the normal amount of time to eat & knocked on the door to be let out. She came into my room & immediatly began to throw up. I went into the kitchen for paper towels & when I came in she was making the most horrific sounds! She was choking!!! I reached in her mouth & could feel a bone but couldn't quite reach it so I held hre upside down & squeezed her while Amanda pounded on her back. I reached back in her mouth & could grab enough to pull it out. It was big. She had thrown up HUGE chunks of meat & bone! I am surprised she was even able to swallow them!! So starting tonight she gets only ground meat with an occasional turkey or chicken neck. No more bones for her! The little turd scared me. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » February 4th, 2006, 11:41 pm

That's very scarey! I'm glad you saved her! :o
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 5th, 2006, 12:15 am

Me too!! She was pretty freaked out but they are used to me sticking my hands in their mouths so that didn't scare her any more than she already was.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby satanscheerleader » February 5th, 2006, 12:17 am

:( Poor pup. That must have been very scarey. I'm glad she's ok.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » February 5th, 2006, 12:25 am

Wow, that's scary! I'm glad she's ok! Poor little Ollie. Yes, they can swallow some pretty big pieces. I feed my dog half raw and I always keep an eye on her while she eats in case she starts to choke. I gave her a whole chicken leg quarter once and she did choke on that so now I cut the legs off from the thighs and feed them separate.

You did the right thing to hold her upside down and squeeze her to loosen the stuck bone. I've seen and read that that is the proper way to do in such an emergency.

And with raw bones, you can take a hammer and break them up into small pieces. That would help a lot and I know folks who do that.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 5th, 2006, 12:36 am

That's the only thing I could think of to do! I did the same thing to Amanda when she was about 2. She swallowed a gum ball her cousin had given her & started to choke. I picked her up by her leg, swung her upside down, pounded on her back & squeezed her & out it popped. I sat her back down & off she ran like nothing had happened. I have ( surprisinlgly) QUICK reflexes, act on instinct & freak out later! :mindblowing:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » February 5th, 2006, 12:47 am

Glad you have quick reflexes! I saw a TV show about how they were training dogs in prisons to be good pets and one of those dogs got something stuck in her throat and started to choke. They quickly held her upside down and squeezed her and the object popped right out. It's a good thing to know what to do if such a thing happens.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 5th, 2006, 8:16 am

oh poor Ollie!! thank god you were there and have quick reflexes!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 5th, 2006, 9:20 am

Wow, very scary. Mine can't do bones, either, but his stomach can't handle them, he doesn't ever take in huge pieces.

But if he was ever to choke I don't know what I'd done. I couldn't pick him up to hold him upside down, he's too big. Scary scary. I'm so glad your pup is okay!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » February 5th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Munkee has choked on rawhide in the past . His mouth is big enough that I could just reach in & grab it. In case that I couldn't, I don't know. Maybe force them on their side & lay behind them & squeeze? Or maybe stand behind them, grab them around the middle & squeeze? :|

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby panda » February 5th, 2006, 2:58 pm

:o thank goodness you were there to save Ollie !! I am sure it was very scary for both of you.

Cheeky I love your avatar :D
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby girlie » February 5th, 2006, 3:06 pm

SisMorphine wrote:But if he was ever to choke I don't know what I'd done. I couldn't pick him up to hold him upside down, he's too big. Scary scary. I'm so glad your pup is okay!!!

Tuck your shoulder under his tummy right by the hind legs, wrap your arm around him and stand up...... use the other arm to squeeze more around his middle.......it can be done :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 5th, 2006, 3:51 pm

pitcess wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:But if he was ever to choke I don't know what I'd done. I couldn't pick him up to hold him upside down, he's too big. Scary scary. I'm so glad your pup is okay!!!

Tuck your shoulder under his tummy right by the hind legs, wrap your arm around him and stand up...... use the other arm to squeeze more around his middle.......it can be done :D

I wonder if he bends like that? Greys just have such weird muscle/bone structure that I never know. Damn dog :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jesseca » February 6th, 2006, 8:01 pm

poor baby. I'm glad to hear she is ok
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health