Is there such a thing as too much running?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Knomad » September 9th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Ok, ive mention recently in other threads...uhmm once or twice...(ohh come on dont we all love to talk about our dogs :D) how much running the pups are doing now.

One thing thats been in my mind of late was whether there is overkill.

Its like this. With the two pups I have now I happen to live right beside a huge dog park, literally. So from three months (they are now six months) i started taking them there three or four times a day to run. I throw a frisbee or ball, they chase manically, bring it back and i throw again.

Generally in the day theres a couple of dogs that like to play along, regular playmates. Kaya (my bitch) doesnt like to lose anything EVER, so when the other dogs play she raises her level to impossible levels.

Not only does she run at a speed (christ you should see her little legs fly!) that seems utterly beyond the pale for a pup her size as shes small with short little legs, but she runs over, and over and over and over and over.

The last time I was throwing a great bouncing ball for around an hour and a half maybe more, 2 hours. The little machine ran back and forth like a blistering rocket what must have been 80 or 100 throws, so many I really have no idea im guessing here.

Since shes so obsessive about winning (really its no exageration), i sometimes think she would run herself to drop dead limit as opposed to actually allowing another dog to beat her to the ball or frisbee.

The male Moto is more calm also he has a little shoulder problem so although he runs often and fast he takes breaks and paces himself better.

Ive never had a pup that came even close to Kaya in terms of sheer physical outlay and im wondering if theres a limit or if she will do herself harm?

They have had three months of daily running like this in the park, so they are fit beyond the pale. Most of the other dogs collapse into heaps after 20 minutes of trying to out class her but she never stops wanting more.

Is it ok to just keep thowing the thing and let her run as long and hard as she feels like running or should I force a limit on her by ending the game after a period of time.

Ive never heard of a dog dying from over running, but I have to admit after the other day it was entering my mind that maybe just maybe she would drop dead before actually easing up?

I love her running and im immensely proud and amazed by her (shes the star of the park :D) but I dont want her to do herself any harm for the love of chasing things and winning!!!

What do you think? Will she limit herself or will she run herself into the ground so long as im willing to throw?
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 9th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Knomad wrote:What do you think? Will she limit herself or will she run herself into the ground so long as im willing to throw?

With the amount of drive you are describing, yes, she will run herself to injury. I think they are a little young for this kind of constant workout. They still have a year of growing to do and if you injure them at this age they will most likely have problems for the rest of their lives.

It's up to you to know the limits for them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Knomad » September 9th, 2006, 10:02 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Knomad wrote:What do you think? Will she limit herself or will she run herself into the ground so long as im willing to throw?

With the amount of drive you are describing, yes, she will run herself to injury. I think they are a little young for this kind of constant workout. They still have a year of growing to do and if you injure them at this age they will most likely have problems for the rest of their lives.

It's up to you to know the limits for them.

Hmm, ok, I as starting to think that might be the case. Its just shes so fit now its very hard to tire her and she always wants to fetch.

Ill start limiting the throwing to a half hour or so per walk and the rest she can walk off. Maybe Ill take them to the water once a day instead.

Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 9th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Water exercise is excellent because there is little to no stress on the joints.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Knomad » September 9th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Ok, perfect then since its coming into spring here and the weather is getting great for water activities :D

Theres an big outdoor poll/pond/water thing in the park just across the road from where I normally take them, its not deep enough to swim but it comes up past their belly meaning they have to jump/hop/splash their way through it. That should tire her and take some weight off the legs at the same time.

I had them both in there once and they seemed to enjoy it. Maybe ill start taking them there more often then.
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » September 10th, 2006, 2:05 pm

I would break it up a little bit. Have her run one day, swim the next, rest the next, etc... Give her a schedule.

And this thread is worthless without pictures! :D
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » September 10th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:I would break it up a little bit. Have her run one day, swim the next, rest the next, etc... Give her a schedule.

And this thread is worthless without pictures! :D

Ain't it though? :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Knomad » September 10th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Ok, ill take the digital when I take them out next. She makes lots of lovely poses when she outdoors, Moto wont though, he rarely strikes a pose and most of the time prefers the "slouched" look :D
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Knomad » September 10th, 2006, 9:05 pm

OK here are some pics.

Introducing....Kaya :D
"Arent I lovely, does my makeup look ok?"

Kaya again.
"Ok lets try the sly look"

Kaya strikes a pose!

Locked on target!

Going for that lil devil look here.

And a nice Kaya close up to finish it off.

Ok, now introducing wonder blunder himself Moto :D

Moto attempts a pose (I told you hes doesnt put much effort into this you know)

Shes hogging all the camera flash o Motos tries harder.

Time for a close up, arent i handsome?

To complete the set, here they are side by side. Youll notice theres more of her thats because hes lazy and uncultured and never strikes a pose, manages to move and spoil camera shots regularly, while she just adores posing and pictures!!!

Enjoy.[/img]
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 10th, 2006, 9:15 pm

They are adorable! :clap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 10th, 2006, 10:27 pm

They're beautiful! Those are really nice harnesses, too - where did you get them?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » September 10th, 2006, 11:53 pm

What beautiful babies!! Thanks for posting them!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Knomad » September 11th, 2006, 9:42 am

Beautiful and hyperactive.

The harnesses I bought in one of the local vet/shops they are nicely designed and much better than the last ones we had. That probably doesnt help much since we live in Argentina.

Im sure if you check online though you should be able to find something like it.
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby Knomad » September 11th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Today was a nice day in puppy life. I started their first raw feed today and they loved it.

The sun is beating down so we went to the water pond....and guess what? they loved that also.....so I couldnt resist the temptation of taking another camera load of pics..

Puppies first real water fest! (we went once before but the water was colder and they werent so much keen)

Moto showing he CAN walk on water:

Look, its true hes doing it again!

He doesnt like touching the ground it seems:

Moto on takeoff:

Moto flying:

Kaya flying:

A race back with the broken frisbee:

Kaya about to land:

Cute shot:

One for each of them:

Kaya dominates on grass but Moto is definately King of the water!

Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2006, 2:56 pm

would you please post a few more pictures of the dogs in those harnesses? maybe one from the top and front? I'm very interested in the design and I know someone who may be able to duplicate it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Knomad » September 11th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Ok no problem I will post some later on tonight after work.

They are nice harnesses comfy for the dogs and nice looking.
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Thanks!

Oh, and please try to keep your photos posted to the gallery. It helps "warn" people on dial up about the size of the threads. (just FYI)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 11th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Great pictures!! Looks like they had a blast!!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Knomad » September 11th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Ok, sorry I forgot all about the gallery forum. When someone asked for pics I just thought to post them here :D

I know I post a lot of pics, I cant hlp myself really. You cant imagine how many pics of the pups we actually have. Digital cams that hold 200 shots and puppies are a bad bad thing :D

The Harness shots you requested are in a gallery thread here:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5992

Uhhh and im going to create another thread with three pics of Moto my wife took tonight. I cant help myself, these are probably three of the nicest posing pics hes ever had, he looks just regal :D
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 12th, 2006, 10:44 am

you can create 100 threads in the gallery if you want. That's what it's for!!! :D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health