A raw addict for sure now on....

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ellie@ny » September 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm

I was browsing older pics from Maya,I like to follow her look,how she changes as she gets older.And since we switched to RAW, GOD ,there is a huge change IMO.
On the first picture was back in April this year ...a chubby puppy...
The next was just about a month ago..
And this new one from today.Still in progress...LOL
This stuff is really workin!!!!!!!!!What was I thinking????? :bricks:
And another great thing:no more bully-bumps,or whatever it's called!
I'm soooo not going back to kibble,never-ever!!!!!

ETA: And she gets less excercise now then she had on the frist picture time... :shock:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 10th, 2006, 10:01 pm

She looks good! Here come those ribs!!

I'm glad it's working well for you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 10th, 2006, 10:28 pm

She definitely looks gorgeous! I was fearful of RAW at first too, but I'm an addict now.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby chewbecca » September 18th, 2006, 8:48 am

I haven't given up on raw with Ella just yet.
Since she's been off her antibiotic and has gotten used to us, her interest in food has gone WAY up.
She is no longer picky when it comes to her kibble. I do the 20 minute thing. Now she knows that I will pick that food up if she doesn't eat it and she won't get ANYTHING until the next feeding.
I still feed her kibble (TImberwolf organics) but she LOVES it. She wouldn't eat well for anything before, now she dives in.
I started giving her plain yogurt because she was having issues while she was on her antibiotic. Now I give it to her because it's good for her AND she LOVES it. I decided a week ago to try adding some Evo 95% beef to her kibble. I was doubtful that she'd even eat it, but she LOVES it. I then decided that I would get a can of alaskan pink salmon and jack mackeral and try that on her. She LOVES LOVES LOVES the salmon. I'll be rinsing any of the canned salmon and mackeral that I give her for now on, but I'm pretty sure that it won't matter.
I'm going to try picking up some Nature's Variety RMBs for her. I'll get one at a time to see what she likes. I'm doing this only for a little while so I can get a feel for what she likes and because the only butcher around here is 20 minutes away and I'm quite busy with school and home life. PLUS, I'm not really sure what the bones look like. If I go to a butcher I need to know what to ask for and what I'm looking at. I know that sounds REALLY stupid, but I never buy meat with bones in it. I have NO idea what I'm looking for.
Ella doesn't appear to like to tear into things. She likes to be able to lick things, get it into her mouth and chew as little as possible. She's a delicate eater. Weird, I know.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 18th, 2006, 10:41 am

I never eat meat with bones in it. I'll "suffer" through chicken wings, but that's it.

For raw, you will want to look for chicken quarters (the leg and upper thigh), chickn backs (the top of the rib cage), meaty bones (like soup bones, will be covered with chunks of meat and snew), turkey legs, etc.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » September 18th, 2006, 10:53 am

I'll be rinsing any of the canned salmon and mackeral that I give her for now on, but I'm pretty sure that it won't matter.

I wouldnt do that. Wont it wash off the oils on the fish that they need?
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » September 18th, 2006, 11:33 am

I don't rinse it at all, I just pout the whole can, oil & all in their bowls.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » September 18th, 2006, 11:36 am

I don't know. I mean, I really am clueless.
I just read that salmon can sit in salt and water so it was important to rinse. But, if you all don't do it and your dogs are fine, I suppose it won't hurt.

How often do you feed your dogs fish?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby chewbecca » September 18th, 2006, 11:39 am

and how much do you feed per dog?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 18th, 2006, 11:41 am

I feed it about once a week or so.

Ollie gets about 1/2 pound of food per day ( she weighs about 30 pounds)

Munkee gets a pound ( he is around 55-60)

Justice gets 1 1/2 a day ( she weighs about 50 but is vrey active & hard to keep weight on)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » September 18th, 2006, 12:14 pm

D'oh, I'm sorry, I meant how much fish do you feed per dog.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. :D

When you feed fish, do you feed it for the entire day? I was thinking of doing only one meal with it and I was wondering, per meal, how many cans should I feed her (she weighs 60 lbs).
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 18th, 2006, 12:21 pm

no matter what I'm feedng for a particular meal, they get at least a pound. when it's a meaty bone, they get about 2 pounds, sometimes more.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 18th, 2006, 4:50 pm

On September 18 2006, 11:14 AM, chewbecca wrote:D'oh, I'm sorry, I meant how much fish do you feed per dog.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. :D

When you feed fish, do you feed it for the entire day? I was thinking of doing only one meal with it and I was wondering, per meal, how many cans should I feed her (she weighs 60 lbs).

I will just feed them each one can. Usually with egg & yogurt or cottage cheese. I only feed mine once a day.........IF they're nice. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » September 18th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I give 2 chicken backs for Maya,and 3 for Nico/day.Today I forgot to defrost enough for them,so I just picked up at the grocery store beef bones(I guess it was neck bones).They like pork neck bones,chicken necks,legs,marrow bones-but not with the marrow in it,because it gives mines a HUGE diaherria,this is kind a meaty bone part of that.
One day I forgot to defrost for them,so we still have kibble for emergency,and they ate the kibble like it was the best food ever!!!
I learned on a very bad way to not give them marrow bones ever....
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby karma » September 21st, 2006, 12:20 am

Ella doesn't appear to like to tear into things. She likes to be able to lick things, get it into her mouth and chew as little as possible. She's a delicate eater. Weird, I know

Krma does the same thing with food but toys she will tear them up in seconds flat. I too am trying to see what she loves and what she doesnt love i know she loves anything that daddy will eat like ice cream, yogurt, and fruit but it seems like she only wants it if daddy has some too. Oh and she goes drooly for cheese doesnt really matter the kind of cheese she just wants some of it. lol
Taj Taylor
Http://www.karmatiknd.com
"Go for the T.E.N." -Taj of Karmatik Training Services
"HEALTHY DOG HAPPY LIFE" - Taj of www.karmatiknd.com

Postby karma » September 21st, 2006, 12:20 am

forgot to put the A in Karma
Taj Taylor
Http://www.karmatiknd.com
"Go for the T.E.N." -Taj of Karmatik Training Services
"HEALTHY DOG HAPPY LIFE" - Taj of www.karmatiknd.com

Return to Nutrition & Health