Pitbull stereotypes can go both ways! Continued....

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Hoyden » August 24th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Earlier this week I took Birdie and the Gremlin with me to Physical Therapy. On the way home, we stopped off at McDonalds to get the Gremlin some fries for being good in PT.

As we're standing in line, a kid decked gangster style says to me, "What is a white bread lady like YOU doin' with a dog like THAT!" Before I could say a word, the Gremlin turns around, glares at the kid and says in her little smart butt voice, "MY Mommy isn't white bread! She's Irish!" I put my hand over her mouth and told her to watch her manners.

I ask the kid why not have a pitbull? He doesn't have an answer, shrugs, tells me that Birdie looks good and asks what I feed her and how I train her.

So while the Gremlin wolfs down her fries, then plays in the ball pit. I tell him that we feed Timberwolf and raw, tell him where to buy both and how to feed. Tell him about Chris Fraize and how we train and work our dogs, I answer his questions as best as I can. It's pretty clear to me the he associates pitbulls with dog fighting and reputation with no clue that they are great family pets and working dogs.

As we're leaving he thanks me for being nice to him, answering his questions and comments that not many white people will give people like him the time of day. I told him my personal view on prejustice: If you're an a$$ hole, you're an a$$ hole. Race, nationality, sexual preference, zip code, net pay or the car in your driveway won't change that.

Hopefully I gave the kid something to think about.
Last edited by Hoyden on September 3rd, 2006, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby lellis34 » August 24th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Good for you! :clap: Dogs and people all get stereotyped. And, I hope you did give him something to think about.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 24th, 2006, 2:38 pm

That's great! Sounds like he got some GOOD information about Pits. White bread, OMG I chuckled at that. And the Gremlin, of course, didn't disappoint. :fastRoll:
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Good for Gremlin for sticking up for you! She's not white bread, she's Irish. TOO FUNNY!!!

Good for you for taking the time to talk to him, I'm sure you made an impression!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 24th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Too funny! I haven't heard the term "white bread" since the 80's!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 24th, 2006, 5:09 pm

your daughter is one saucey little thing :)

It sounds to me like you really made an impact :)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ellie@ny » August 24th, 2006, 5:41 pm

You are a lucky one!!!
Earlier this week I met with my boyfriend's work buddy,who's new at the company.
Both of my dogs were with me,and he was going nuts about them,and said he has 2 Rotties yade yade..
He said his girlfriend want's a pit for a long time,so we stopped by at the house to show her how great they are etc.
I was telling him a lots of things just like you Noel,and the girlfriend loved both dogs too...they were playing with them etc.
After almost an hour we really had to leave and I told them if they really want a pit in the future I can give them some good websites to start to learn more about them,and how to find the best dog.
We went home.
2 days after this my boyfriend comes home laughing his franny off,and telling me the guy was sooo tired today,they got a pit puppy a 6 WEEKS OLD one for 250$,and the pup crying all night long...Probably they found the pup in the local news paper.....
:arrow: :cuss:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 24th, 2006, 6:27 pm

ellie@ny wrote:2 days after this my boyfriend comes home laughing his franny off,and telling me the guy was sooo tired today,they got a pit puppy a 6 WEEKS OLD one for 250$,and the pup crying all night long...Probably they found the pup in the local news paper.....
:arrow: :cuss:

Oh no, 6 weeks old, that is so young. I really wish people would look more closely at adult dogs. They get puppies then they are shocked at the way they act sometimes when they get older. With an adult, what you see if pretty much what you get. Too bad they didn't listen to you or ask again for your help...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » August 24th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Good for you for taking the time to talk to him! I'm sure you at least got him thinking!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Romanwild » August 25th, 2006, 8:29 am

Speaking to young people, especially "from the wrong side of the tracks" is very important.

We did our first talk at our Teen Center and it went well. Get them while they're young!

Sometimes I will purposefully walk through questionable neighborhoods and stop and talk. I try my best to not preach to the choir. lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Hoyden » September 3rd, 2006, 12:30 pm

So I ran into the same kid again, this time with a bunch of his friends at the mall on Friday when I went in to get a new cord for the playstation.

He saw me Birdie and Gremlin walking and ran over to catch up with me. He asked me if I could tell his cousin and his friend what I told him at McDonald's. So I sat down in the kid's play area so Gremlin could play and told Mike's cousin and friends that pitbulls are good family pets, how to contain and care for them properly, being a responsible dog owner and legitimate sports and activities that they can do with their dogs.

I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but I gave them my e-mail address and my cell phone number and told them that if they wanted to see what kinds of productive good things that they could do with their dogs, that I would take a few of them at a time to see weight pulling, obedience and confirmation shows. They seemed to really be interested in weight pulling, but I told them I didn't know too much about the training the was involved, but if they wanted to come with me to a show or two, I would find someone who could answer their questions.

In the back of my head, I am thinking about how beneficial a dog training club would be for these kids. It would teach them about being a responsible pitbull owner, give them something legal and productive to do with their dogs and help keep them out of trouble.

I am not sure what would be involved, or even where to start, but it's a something to thing about.

(On a side note.... I WILL NOT introduce Pit Bulls and personal protection work to these kids - I don't want them getting any bright ideas.)
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » September 3rd, 2006, 4:32 pm

In the back of my head, I am thinking about how beneficial a dog training club would be for these kids. It would teach them about being a responsible pitbull owner, give them something legal and productive to do with their dogs and help keep them out of trouble.

That is a GREAT idea! I think it is so awesome of you to talk to these kids and be such a great example!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby prinpoms » September 3rd, 2006, 7:26 pm

Great IDEA! :thumbsup:
PitBull Momma
prinpoms
Just Whelped

Postby pibblegrl » September 3rd, 2006, 9:52 pm

:smileSwitch:
Nice!!

How is training...its been a while since I've been on...
I was just talking to a woman today who is in rottie rescue and she is a trainer also so we were "comparing notes" if you will...People always find it really interesting to learn about how you go about training a service animal...
The Smooch is doing well...getting ready for the cold weather...(I don't think I will ever be able to properly prepare for winter again...that season is getting really tough on me)....
Right around the corner..
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » September 5th, 2006, 8:38 am

That's awesome! I think it's great that he came up to you again to ask more questions. Sounds like they're genuinely interested in doing something positive.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Hoyden » September 5th, 2006, 11:33 am

pibblegrl wrote::smileSwitch:
Nice!!

How is training...its been a while since I've been on...
I was just talking to a woman today who is in rottie rescue and she is a trainer also so we were "comparing notes" if you will...People always find it really interesting to learn about how you go about training a service animal...
The Smooch is doing well...getting ready for the cold weather...(I don't think I will ever be able to properly prepare for winter again...that season is getting really tough on me)....
Right around the corner..

Gods, I HATE winter, especially ice. I look like a victim of domestic abuse with all the bruises I get from falling.

Would that woman happen to be named Ann? I think she trains at a Club that has a location in Oxford
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby pibblegrl » September 9th, 2006, 12:17 am

Yep..her name is Ann....I hate winter too....I don't have Dale help me walk nearly as much in the summer months...but once that cool weather hits...BLECH!
I want to move to the desert...I love the desert.
Dale and I have started prepping for winter....He's thrilled.
I. Hate. Cold. Weather.
I usually look like a drug addict needing a fix or something...all pale with dark rings around my eyes..plus I'm usually kind of hunched over...then there is the matter of how I feel. BLECH!
BLECH! :shake:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk