Backwards Heel in Ring

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby DemoDick » February 4th, 2006, 1:04 am

Having zero experience with Ring I was wondering if anyone could share training tips on how this particular behavior is taught. I have my own ideas on how I would do it but I'd like to know how it's done "for real".

Note: I'm not planning on teaching this to Connor as there's really no need for it in PSA. I just want to put another tool in my toolbox.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Purple » February 4th, 2006, 7:44 am

I taught it one step at a time...
Purple
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » February 4th, 2006, 1:37 pm

I just taught Dale to "back" while I was in front of him...and then when he 'got it' I applied it on lead.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Pitcrew » February 4th, 2006, 9:45 pm

I also teach my dogs to back while they are in front of me and when they understand the back cue correctly, it shouldnt matter where they are when you ask them.

Also I play with my dogs in a "find heel" game. They need to get in that position no matter what I do and where I turn, backing is easy.

Backing STRAIGHT is difficult tho... it takes practice, their butts always want to go one way or the other. Sometimes practicing next to a wall helps... unless their butt goes the other way... :D
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 2:08 pm

With a wall, because the dogs tend to want to go wide. I have also found that it actually helps to teach it with the decoy following you. It gives them motivation to continue, as it's not exactly a natural position :wink:

I'll admit, it was a lot easier to teach it to Harry than Grant. Harry seems to walk backwards much more naturally than either of my bulldogs.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby chance's mom » February 26th, 2006, 10:19 pm

i read someone asking about this in another thread and was also interested in learning this, would anyone have a video of what it should look like so i could get a better idea?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Here are some photos. The dog heels backwards on the right until the decoy "assults" the handler.

Pocketpit and Brooks... :D

Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby chance's mom » February 27th, 2006, 7:42 pm

thank you so much, i am very visual so that helps me out immensly, thanks again.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Sports